Canada wants military base in Germany

Angstrom
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Not that this has anything to do with interpretive dance. I'm sure you have empirical data to support that?

Interpretive dance would do the same then learning to play instruments, just as dance.
Learning to draw, paint etc... All arts. Its part of our humanity and how we develop.
Music instruments happens to be the one that flexes the muscle best out of all of them.

It's common knowledge, I'm not wasting more time on you then I already have.
Go educate yourself.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Mostly what Harper is doing is fixing the damage the Liberals did to our military. We have certain obligations under NATO and the UN and this just helps us live up to them without borrowing from the US all the time.

So then let's withdraw from NATO.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Interpretive dance would do the same then learning to play instruments, just as dance.
Learning to draw, paint etc... All arts. Its part of our humanity and how we develop.
Music instruments happens to be the one that flexes the muscle best out of all of them.

So how is my assertion that $1.2 million diverted from a professional dancer, who is partly funded by the Feds, who also is remunerated for choreographing numbers for international dance groups, to the education system, somehow contrary to that?

Quote:

It's common knowledge, I'm not wasting more time on you then I already have.

Interesting cop out. Does that mean you don't have any empirical data to back up your claim, again?

Quote:

Go educate yourself.

Given the grammatical errors in your first paragraph, that comment is quite ironic, if not funny.

petros
+3
Google (external - login to view)

Apparently he has a valid point.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Actually, I bet you "Most" Canadians don't know about this, at this point.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of Canadians think we still have bases in Germany....

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Google (external - login to view)

Apparently he has a valid point.

Excellent, thank you.

Goober
+2

I don't Care what NATO say's.

If we need to Cut 10% of every federal departments budget.
Now is not the time to expand our military, with new base's outside of Canada.

We also provide humanatarian aid. Or have you forgotten that we could not deploy the aid under the Libs as we had to beg for airlift from the US or Russia. Then after we begged we got the lift, late and many people suffered because we could not help. Then the Govt gets slammed for not being prepared, but only the Cons were slammed, not the Libs,.

dumpthemonarchy
+1

I don't Care what NATO says.

If we need to Cut 10% of every federal departments budget.
Now is not the time to expand our military, with new bases outside of Canada.

That's what I think. Then when the budget is balanced, build a few military/civilian bases in the Arctic to monitor the Northwest Passage. Then build some new icebreakers. Our main one is under repair.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...-of-commission

(apostrophes are not needed for "says" or "bases")

gerryh
+3
So, we don't have enough mony for First Nations. We don't have enough money for our medical system. We don't have enough money for our seniors. Yet, we're going to find the money to expand our military and military bases around the world. Gee, aren't our priority's set right.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

So, we don't have enough mony for First Nations. We don't have enough money for our medical system. We don't have enough money for our seniors. Yet, we're going to find the money to expand our military and military bases around the world. Gee, aren't our priority's set right.

What? Show me one First Nation MP who needs money, or one MP who can't afford private health care abroad, or retired MP in need of money.

Oh, you mean regular people. Good point.

petros
Just set up a good schnitzel haus in Cold Lake and pretend it's Germany.

Machjo

It would save money.

selin
Is Canada preparing to write her name in future World War III?

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by selinView Post

Preparing to prevent it is more like it.

Cliffy
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by selinView Post

It would seem that the board of directors (Harper government) of the corporation of Canada are hoping to cash in on the next big one at the expense of its citizens. It would appear that the usual suspects are in favour of such insanity, but I think the majority of Canadians would object.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

It would seem that the board of directors (Harper government) of the corporation of Canada are hoping to cash in on the next big one at the expense of its citizens. It would appear that the usual suspects are in favour of such insanity, but I think the majority of Canadians would object.

If and when WW111 happens ,it won't be because of anything Canada does or does not do.
Unless of course we bomb Iran.
Do you think we can reach there from our new bases?

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by pgsView Post

If and when WW111 happens ,it won't be because of anything Canada does or does not do.
Unless of course we bomb Iran.
Do you think we can reach there from our new bases?

It would make it much faster for us to deploy to Iran. Yes
I'd say deployment would take a day or two compared to a week or two.

Plus, it's to help make faster aggressive military maneuvers.
Last edited by Angstrom; Feb 20th, 2012 at 04:43 PM..

EagleSmack
+2 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Good one Cliffy... Canada has the second largest proven reserves as is and magically you think that we went there to steal more.

Thanks for playing bud.... Vanna, what fabulous prize do we have for our runner-up?

Yup... War for Oil! That's one of their favorite lines. Every war is a war to steal oil. The thing is... you don't get any oil out of the deal.

damngrumpy
+1
Harper (Snidely Whiplash) is a social conservative hiding in a populist closet desperately
wanting to come out. He is an extreme right winger with visions of being called by history
as a wartime leader. What on earth do we need a base in Germany for? A hub for what?
We almost have to hitchhike our equipment to the battlefield let alone maintain and supply
hub. A supply hub for what, and for where? There is something going on that keeps us
all glued to the fact that there is trouble in the Middle East that is going to boil over in the
near future.
Russia is not a threat to us so why on earth would we need a transport hub in Europe?
We have a litany of domestic problems and cutbacks scheduled for medicare, pensions
and other social programs, yet we can afford to set up a transportation hub in Germany.
These guys, sound more and more like the management of North Korea than that of a
nation like Canada. I believe Harper (Snidely Whiplash) is intent on destroying our good
name internationally and he is succeeding with each passing day.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Harper (Snidely Whiplash) is a social conservative hiding in a populist closet desperately
wanting to come out. He is an extreme right winger with visions of being called by history
as a wartime leader. What on earth do we need a base in Germany for? A hub for what?
We almost have to hitchhike our equipment to the battlefield let alone maintain and supply
hub. A supply hub for what, and for where? There is something going on that keeps us
all glued to the fact that there is trouble in the Middle East that is going to boil over in the
near future.
Russia is not a threat to us so why on earth would we need a transport hub in Europe?
We have a litany of domestic problems and cutbacks scheduled for medicare, pensions
and other social programs, yet we can afford to set up a transportation hub in Germany.
These guys, sound more and more like the management of North Korea than that of a
nation like Canada. I believe Harper (Snidely Whiplash) is intent on destroying our good

You mean like this:

BBC News - Canadian government is 'muzzling its scientists'

And this:

BBC News - Risks of placing scientists 'on message' (external - login to view)

But hey, let's blame his behaviour on the US.

CDNBear
+2
Quote:

Trudeau was not seen as a fan of the Canadian Forces.

But defence spending during his tenure in the early 1970s hovered at around 2% of the gross domestic product and then started dropping as cuts were made. Under Trudeau it climbed back up again to 1.9% of GDP in 1983 and almost reached 2% under Liberal prime minister John Turner.

The spending dipped only slightly in the first few years of Mulroney’s tenure and then started dropping as cutbacks were brought in under the Conservatives.

The years under Liberal prime ministers Jean Chretien and Paul Martin were marked by a continued slide, with the figure hovering at a little more than 1% of GDP by 2005.

Under Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, the percentage has climbed to 1.2%.

Liberal Senator Colin Kenny said the figures show the Harper government has to start doing more in terms of military spending.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=141640

Just a little reality for the Usual Suspects.

Goober
+1

near future.

There has always been talk of having equipment readily deployable. Be it for Military or humanatarin use. With the Mid east as you mention erupting in civil war in Syria, there may be need of Humanatarian supplies. Many countries have eqipment in other countries for easy deployment.

Using germany makes sense. Large airport, ability to move and transit quickly. Supplies are easily accessable -

Canada does not have the capability to fly from Germany to Iran, perform a bombing mission and return flight to Germany.

We are not going to Bomb Iran. If anyone does it will be Israel and maybe the US. But the US will not have to take that option for some time. New talks are ongoing. The sanctions are putting the squeeze on the Thugs that run the place.
Listen to the CBC radio program I posted on the Iran Sanctions thread. Provides good information. Perhaps you may find that you learn something. I did.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Yup... War for Oil! That's one of their favorite lines. Every war is a war to steal oil. The thing is... you don't get any oil out of the deal.

You've said it all.... The only thing that I would add is that when the 'moral majority' determines that a group/nation really, really needs your help - well, then it's obligatory that the military goes in with a mandate of kicking *** and taking names.

Funny how that works, eh?

damngrumpy
The only problem is Canada is no longer regarded as the distributor of humanitarian supplies
we are now on the front lines as a fighting force and have limited our ability to be respected
enough to manage the peace that comes later. Making war is one thing managing the peace
is far more difficult.
I do agree there are times when fighting is required and we should do our part in such cases
Afghanistan was one such case in point, Iraq its good we stayed out of that one it was not a
noble cause in the slightest. It was the worst thing that could have happened. Saddam was a
very nasty man but he kept the Iranians and other in their place.
The Middle East is a Tribal Paradise where these mobile factions loyal only to their tribes continue
to distribute their hatreds of each other to the constant boiling point. We have decided for some
unknown region to try to civilize savages. Civilization comes about as a natural part of evolution.
Come to think of it even in the West we still have not totally mastered the concept and here we
are trying to transplant civilization and democracy into a region that rejects it and is not ready for
it.

dumpthemonarchy
+1
The Harperites may not have noticed that the cold war is over, the menace of communism is gone, therefore, a big military is not necessary. No one is going to start the big WW lll by invading West Germany. So, military spending does not need to rise much, the fed bureaucracy is right to feel defence spending is at an okay level.

"The enemy" are now dumb guys with beards in caves who hate the modern world and want all chicks to cover up. That's not too scary. Therefore downsizing the military is the order of the day, You know, fighting smarter, be at least as smart as a missile.

Here's hint, the USA army is using more elite troops in Afghanistan and drones everywhere, hint, that means less manpower. The USA Army is getting not too subtle hints it should become a more elite force also as money is shrinking stateside.

Goober
+1

The only problem is Canada is no longer regarded as the distributor of humanitarian supplies
we are now on the front lines as a fighting force and have limited our ability to be respected
enough to manage the peace that comes later. Making war is one thing managing the peace
is far more difficult.
I do agree there are times when fighting is required and we should do our part in such cases
Afghanistan was one such case in point, Iraq its good we stayed out of that one it was not a
noble cause in the slightest. It was the worst thing that could have happened. Saddam was a
very nasty man but he kept the Iranians and other in their place.
The Middle East is a Tribal Paradise where these mobile factions loyal only to their tribes continue
to distribute their hatreds of each other to the constant boiling point. We have decided for some
unknown region to try to civilize savages. Civilization comes about as a natural part of evolution.
Come to think of it even in the West we still have not totally mastered the concept and here we
are trying to transplant civilization and democracy into a region that rejects it and is not ready for
it.

Canadians have looked up the Military as Peace Keepers- That is only one role.

While we had 6 or 7 hundred or so in Cyprus on peace keeping we had 8 K soldiers/airmen in Germany as part of NATO.

Peace Keeping has always been a small role for the Military - regardless of what many mistakenly believe.

Soldiers are first and foremost trained to advance, make contact and kill the enemy.
Next we live in a new world where drones target terrorists locally - Better than boot on the ground.

NATO is purchasing Drones as part of a Multi National NATO mission just for this purpose.

taxslave

Also faster defensive military maneuvers.

L Gilbert

Wouldn't work. It rains a lot in Germany.

MHz

Gee, aren't our priority's set right.

The base is a priority of those in charge, the things you mention are in the 'options that happen if time and money are available.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Wouldn't work. It rains a lot in Germany.

We could turn some sprinklers on.