Canada wants military base in Germany

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Canada plans to set up a military base in Germany under a deal that will allow the expanding Canadian military to increase its global reach.

The new "operational support hub" – along with others to be set up around the world – will allow Canada to deploy troops and supplies to distant hotspots on short notice, said a joint statement by the German and Canadian governments as German Defence Minister Thomas de Maiziere paid a visit to Ottawa.

It’s still not clear when the base at Cologne-Bonn Airport will be set up or how many Canadians will be there, although troop numbers will not approach the tens of thousands of Americans currently stationed in Germany.

De Maiziere told a press conference that he and his Canadian counterpart, Peter MacKay, are also discussing missile defence, the future of Afghanistan and the nuclear component of NATO defence capabilities – all topics of an upcoming NATO summit in Chicago in May.

According to the Canadian CBC television network, Germany and Canada have recently been expanding their defence cooperation as both countries grapple with prolonged military deployments to Afghanistan.

The Canadians have experimented with setting up temporary logistics hubs in Germany to support their Afghanistan mission – one successful such venture was recently launched alongside the American military in Spangdahlem, Rhineland-Palatinate.

Canada’s Post-Media News said that in deciding where to set up logistics’ hubs, Canadian forces have been impressed with Germany’s organisational skills and also count a long history of cooperation as a plus.

“For decades, Canadian personnel stationed in Germany during the Cold War developed close relations with their German counterparts and their local communities," it quoted MacKay as saying

Source: Canada wants military base in Germany - The Local

My opinion: Lets balance the budget first.
The Harper Conservatives are cutting at home and expanding everywhere in the world WTF?

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Mostly what Harper is doing is fixing the damage the Liberals did to our military. We have certain obligations under NATO and the UN and this just helps us live up to them without borrowing from the US all the time.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Bush Lite is just trying to emulate his hero. War mongers of the feather flock together. We should be pulling out of NATO not getting deeper into debt so we can play with the big boys (read: bullies in the playground.)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What kinda war we Canadians gonna wage Cliffy? A bombing campaign of timbits and maybe a few soldiers in circa WWII uniforms with a sharpened stick and bag of throwin' rocks?

Read: We don't have a military thanks largely to your buddy Trudeau
And what, exactly, do you think we were doing in Libya? We certainly didn't bomb the crap out of that country with Tim bits. You need to stop breathing gas fumes.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Living up to a UN obligation?

Doing our small part to stop a dictator bent on killing innocents for their own advancement?

Is this a trick question Cliffy?
Only if you've been sniffing gas. We did not go into that country to free the people from a dictator. And I'm sure, you being in the gas and oil industry, that you know exactly why we were there.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Only if you've been sniffing gas. We did not go into that country to free the people from a dictator. And I'm sure, you being in the gas and oil industry, that you know exactly why we were there.

Good one Cliffy... Canada has the second largest proven reserves as is and magically you think that we went there to steal more.

Thanks for playing bud.... Vanna, what fabulous prize do we have for our runner-up?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I don't Care what NATO say's.

If we need to Cut 10% of every federal departments budget.
Now is not the time to expand our military, with new base's outside of Canada.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Except for interpretive dance.

I'll let you worry about the 0.00279 of a penny a year every Canadians have to pay to support that lady's foundation.

When I look at a problem. (our budget) I look to cut where you can really make a big difference. How much money have we spent in the last 13 years on bombs?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'll let you worry about the 0.00279 of a penny a year every Canadians have to pay to support that lady's foundation.

When I look at a problem. (our budget) I look to cut where you can really make a big difference. How much money have we spent in the last 13 years on bombs?
So you didn't really mean every dept...

If we need to Cut 10% of every federal departments budget.

Last edited:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
So you didn't really mean every dept...

WTF are you talking about? Its happening this year...
The federal government is cutting 10% out of all departments but expanding on Military CSIS RCMP & Correctional Service of Canada.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Bush Lite is just trying to emulate his hero. War mongers of the feather flock together. We should be pulling out of NATO not getting deeper into debt so we can play with the big boys (read: bullies in the playground.)
How many wars have been started by the US?