7-year-old branded 'racist' for asking student about skin colour

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Thaaatt's right...

The mother of a seven-year-old boy was told to sign a school form admitting he was racist after he asked another pupil about the colour of his skin.

Elliott Dearlove had asked a five-year-old boy in the playground whether he was ‘brown because he was from Africa’.

His mother, Hayley White, 29, said she received a phone call last month to say her son had been at the centre of a ‘racist incident’.

She was then summoned to a meeting with Elliott, his teacher and the deputy head of Griffin Primary School in Hull.

Read more: Boy, 7, branded a racist for asking schoolmate: 'Are you brown because you come from Africa?' | Mail Online

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Thaaatt's right...

The mother of a seven-year-old boy was told to sign a school form admitting he was racist after he asked another pupil about the colour of his skin.

Elliott Dearlove had asked a five-year-old boy in the playground whether he was ‘brown because he was from Africa’.

His mother, Hayley White, 29, said she received a phone call last month to say her son had been at the centre of a ‘racist incident’.

She was then summoned to a meeting with Elliott, his teacher and the deputy head of Griffin Primary School in Hull.

Read more: Boy, 7, branded a racist for asking schoolmate: 'Are you brown because you come from Africa?' | Mail Online

I have chatted with a number of yes, white Brits and this is what they often refer to as the over reactive and Nanny State they live in. Pure stupidity. That man should be fired. The Labor MP tossed as well.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Good God what a load of cra*. Now little kids can't ask questions to find out how things
fit into the world. The kid does not even know what a racist is let along be one. When
will this silly nonsense end?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Good old fascism, I like it.

That's the PC way, don't as questions, just obey. This family is not in "the know" as created by the intelligentsia, which is not to be confused with intelligence or intelligent. This parallel reality is what everyone is supposed to be aware of from now on. Hopefully we haven't heard the last of this.

The school asked the mom to sign a form acknowledging this perception of racism, she told them to get lost. Good.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Good God what a load of cra*. Now little kids can't ask questions to find out how things
fit into the world. The kid does not even know what a racist is let along be one. When

This kind of rule is rampant in the UK. 1 major reason why people, read white are getting frustrated when they are controlled by Orwell's nightmares.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Interesting. Last Friday some friends gave a slide show of their trip to Africa here in Nakusp. A seven year old girl asked why the children were so dark. Nobody thought she was a racist but my friend was flummoxed because he didn't know how to tell a seven year old the reason and have her understand his answer. It never occurred to him that someone would ask the question and why the school had not taught her anything about it. I must say, I would have been floored by it too.

As to the OP, that is just bizarre. Something seriously wrong in that school. Sounds more like they were embarrassed by their own failure to explain the facts of life to the kids and the emotional instability of the teaching staff.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Sure, explaining to a little girl about people coming out of Africa hundreds of thousands of years ago isn't going to work. But why people are different colours and speak different languages has not been explained by science. I doesn't matter, we're all just people.

If anyone has been a ESL teacher anywhere in the world, you get asked questions from non-Canadians that never get thought of in Canada. Questions on why some words are plurals and some aren't, why we use contractions, and you have to give an answer right away. Sometimes you give a good answer, and sometimes you don't.

We've closed the door on any discussions on race though. No careers are built on that discussion. Just say no and admit your white racism.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

I bet he does now. Except that he will think that all teachers and school staff are racist when in reality they are just not too bright PC .

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If I was the parent I would have crumpled up the form and tossed it into the garbage. I would have also told that idiot teacher to grab a brain, as he was obviously lacking one.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The kid's not racist, he's just an idiot.

Brown because you come from Africa? rofl

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

He's seven! Grade 2! What do you expect if he hasn't been taught anything about differences? I never met a black kid until I was in Grade 9. I watched the News about the White Rock Arkansas race riots and I could not understand what the hell was going on. It did not make sense at all and nobody, no adult, would talk to me about it.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The kid's seven....

He's still dumb for his age.

I agree that the statement wasn't racist, but it's as stupid as asking if I'm white because I come from Canada.

The worst part of this is that the right will use it as an anchor for libertarian nonsense or the denunciation of 'political correctness'.

It's more than politicallly incorrect, and it's not racist, it's just incorrect. This kind of thing should have been acceptable in the 80s, maybe, but kids these days should be smarter than this.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I don't know.... If the kid's heard stereotypes, that's all he'd know. I suppose you were cut to know everything when you were pasted in?

I definitely wouldn't have said: 'are you brown because you're from Africa?'

But I grew up in a very left-wing, politically correct neighborhood, so we were probably more educated than that. :p

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As a kid (kindergarden), I had a black kid in my grade, and he had an older
brother (I think he was in grade 2) at my school. I'm sure we asked them
both similiar questions, and being kids.....they answered them. It wasn't
a big thing...and they where from the Sudan. Kids ask questions. It's what
they do.

I remember being about 4yrs old when I met the first two native guys I'd
ever seen in person (not Italian guys playing Indians on Westerns on TV).
My Father was selling one of them a car, so of coarse he dug out the rum
to close the deal.

Anyway, one of these guys had an eye-patch. Eventually I asked him, "Why
did he had an eye-patch, 'cuz pirates and not Indians where suppose to have
those?"

These guys had had a couple cups of rum with my father by this point, and he
replied, "Well, my bow & arrow backfired!"

They all laughed and I went away confused, but I still remember it to this day.
Different times, I guess.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Okay, first of all. Nobody can know something if they just don't know it. There really is no such thing as a stupid question. Only condescending answers. People ask questions because they don't know the answer, especially kids!

Second of all, calling a seven year old an idiot?? That's low class.