7-year-old branded 'racist' for asking student about skin colour

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Thaaatt's right...

The mother of a seven-year-old boy was told to sign a school form admitting he was racist after he asked another pupil about the colour of his skin.

Elliott Dearlove had asked a five-year-old boy in the playground whether he was ‘brown because he was from Africa’.

His mother, Hayley White, 29, said she received a phone call last month to say her son had been at the centre of a ‘racist incident’.

She was then summoned to a meeting with Elliott, his teacher and the deputy head of Griffin Primary School in Hull.

Read more: Boy, 7, branded a racist for asking schoolmate: 'Are you brown because you come from Africa?' | Mail Online

What idiots. If he were expressing some belief in his moral superiority owing to his skin colour, that would be racist. Ignorance is not racism and that was a fair question, especially if perfectly innocent with no intent to harm.

Also, did the school try to educate the kid since?

Silly me. Now that I've read the link, it would seem the fault lied not with the school, but with the law. As it turns out, the school was legally obliged to follow that procedure once the "brown" kid complained of a racist incident.

Seeing that the "brown" kid himself is likely seven years old or so, I would not blame him either. But in the end, the school was merely doing what it was legally obligated to do.

Maybe a letter-writing or petition campaing to have that law reworded would be in order.

TenPenny
+2
The kid asked a perfectly reasonable question, considering he's 7.

Despite what some dental floss people think, it's not a sign of stupidity, it's a reasonable question, especially when many people with colored skin identify themselves as African-Whatever.

People with last names that start with Mc or Mac are often asked if they are Irish or Scottish; it has to do with heritage, not where you lived last week.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

As it turns out, the school was legally obliged to follow that procedure once the "brown" kid complained of a racist incident.

The child didn't complain, his mother did.

Quote:

But in the end, the school was merely doing what it was legally obligated to do.

They're legally obligated to have a zero tolerance for bullying.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

The child didn't complain, his mother did.

They're legally obligated to have a zero tolerance for bullying.

Wouldn't it be a bit a stretch to consider this to be bullying? Simply a question from a curious kid, who meant absolutely no harm that I can see. Is commenting on colour of skin any more repugnant than commenting on colour of eyes or hair?

Walter
My son was suspended for saying that something, not someone, was gay when he was in grade 8. That was in '10.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

My son was suspended for saying that something, not someone, was gay when he was in grade 8. That was in '10.

Ironic, isn't it that our educators are such idiots?

CDNBear
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Wouldn't it be a bit a stretch to consider this to be bullying? Simply a question from a curious kid, who meant absolutely no harm that I can see. Is commenting on colour of skin any more repugnant than commenting on colour of eyes or hair?

My insinuation was two fold, the child that asked the question, is being bullied, and the fact that schools are legally obligated to do many things.

They always take the easiest route. Upholding all their legal obligations, especially the important ones, requires an effort.

Unions don't like effort.

Mine sent home for stating that homosexuality was not natural in his opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Ironic, isn't it that our educators are such idiots?

That's what you get when you unionize the educators. They become all about themselves.

JLM
+1

My insinuation was two fold, the child that asked the question, is being bullied, and the fact that schools are legally obligated to do many things.

They always take the easiest route. Upholding all their legal obligations, especially the important ones, requires an effort.

Mine sent home for stating that homosexuality was not natural in his opinion.

That's what you get when you unionize the educators. They become all about themselves.

You're sensible on all counts this morning.

SLM
+1

That's what happens when context and intent is completely removed from the equation. PC is about making it all about the end result with no emphasis on on the meaning behind it. Political correctness is a huge failure.

I'm not a fan of unions in general, but would this type of thing not be mostly at the level of the board/principal?

Quote:

Mine sent home for stating that homosexuality was natural in his opinion.

Well that was ridiculous.

CDNBear
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I'm not a fan of unions in general, but would this type of thing not be mostly at the level of the board/principal?

Sorry, I was referring to this part of the article...

Quote:

Last year, it was revealed that teachers are branding thousands of children racist or homophobic following playground squabbles.

More than 20,000 pupils aged 11 or younger were put on record for so-called hate crimes such as using the word ‘gaylord’.

Read more: Boy, 7, branded a racist for asking schoolmate: 'Are you brown because you come from Africa?' | Mail Online

I should have made that more clear.

Quote:

Well that was ridiculous.

We thought so too. So did the principal, after I made it perfectly clear the education system is meant to educate, not indoctrinate. Which means reasoned oppositions to what the teacher is saying, are legitimate in a classroom.

Hence the apology my youngest received, from both the principal and teacher.

Cliffy
+3

We thought so too. So did the principal, after I made it perfectly clear the education system is meant to educate, not indoctrinate. Which means reasoned oppositions to what the teacher is saying, are legitimate in a classroom.

I would imagine that your mere presence would intimidate them into being reasonable.

SLM
+2

Sorry, I was referring to this part of the article...
I should have made that more clear.

Gotcha'. Didn't disagree with the sentiment though.

Quote:

And if a teacher is leading a classroom discussion, their opinion should not be part of the mix. They should be leading a discussion, not dictating thoughts. We're talking opinions here, not mathematics.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I definitely wouldn't have said: 'are you brown because you're from Africa?'

But I grew up in a very left-wing, politically correct neighborhood, so we were probably more educated than that.

That explains your lack of intelligence all right. At least you can blame poor parenting.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

And if a teacher is leading a classroom discussion, their opinion should not be part of the mix. They should be leading a discussion, not dictating thoughts. We're talking opinions here, not mathematics.

That's the problem with the education system now. As we saw in the thread about teachers and unions using kids to further their agenda.

I can understand a teacher putting some of their life experiences into their lessons. I had a teacher that taught in Barbados who shared many of his experiences, we even swapped recipes for turtle soup. His for some species of sea turtle, mine for snapping turtle. I think it safe to say that he played a significant role in why I have an enthusiasm for ethnic foods and culture.

Conversely, I had a history teacher that generalized First Nations, as some do here. He believed every myth and stereotype. That affected his ability to teach Canadian/First Nations history in an open and honest manner. Just like those members here, are unable to discuss Canada/First Nations relations, open and honestly.

Goober
+1

He's still dumb for his age.

I agree that the statement wasn't racist, but it's as stupid as asking if I'm white because I come from Canada.

The worst part of this is that the right will use it as an anchor for libertarian nonsense or the denunciation of 'political correctness'.

It's more than politicallly incorrect, and it's not racist, it's just incorrect. This kind of thing should have been acceptable in the 80s, maybe, but kids these days should be smarter than this.

HHMM Guess you went from Diapers to pure adulthood and missed the potty training. You condemn the child because????????

Children then should not ask questions because they may sound stupid to an adult. HHHMMMMMMMMMMMM

Please delve into the many issues in the UK because of policies such as was mentioned in the article.

Nanny State gone wild with Political Correctness is the present condition for the past 20 years or so in the UK and it is still coming up with dumb *** rules that cause more conflict, not resolution.

Why a teacher even removed the word God when kids were singing an Edith Piaf song a few weeks ago. Care to explain that one???????????????

captain morgan
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

HHMM Guess you went from Diapers to pure adulthood and missed the potty training.

Nope, he got the requisite training, it is just that he opted to store the sh*t in his cranium rather than in an adult diaper

TenPenny
+2

It's more than politicallly incorrect, and it's not racist, it's just incorrect. This kind of thing should have been acceptable in the 80s, maybe, but kids these days should be smarter than this.

Are you saying that brown skinned people don't come from Africa? None of them? Why do some people in the US call themselves 'African Americans'? That would seem to be an odd thing to do. Maybe you could have a new career, teaching them how wrong they are.

JLM
+2

But I grew up in a very left-wing, politically correct neighborhood, so we were probably more educated than that.

Yeah, but you are not seven!

petros
+1
Would the kid be racist if he asked "why am I white"?

Goober
+2

Ahh I see now. This child not having had your enlightened upbringing, in area where you had the early opportunity to experience things that others had not.

So because of this, the child is an idiot for not having had that opportunity. So lack of opportunity compared to others then is a legitimate reason to penalize the child as an idiot. Interesting point of view.

Would your opinion of the child be Liberal, Conservative, Politically Correct, Contrarian, Libertarian or just plain dumb view of children in general????

So then it would be logical to come to a conclusion. Those that are not as enlightened as you were / are suffer as idiots. What about those that are clearly more intelligent than yourself. I would hazard a guess there may be a few amongst the 7 billion plus people on this planet. How would you rate these select few?

Machjo
I remember in high school arguing with a French teacher about the pronunciation of the French word 'foque' (i.e. 'seal', as in the sea mammal). I insisted it was pronounced exactly like the English word F U C K, but the teacher refused to listen until I finally pulled out a dictionary with the IPA to prove it. Why the teacher had such an issue with it beats me since it's not even the same language anyway.
Last edited by Machjo; Feb 20th, 2012 at 10:30 AM..

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

I remember in high school arguing with a french teacher about the pronunciation of the French word 'foque' (i.e. 'seal', as in the sea mammal). I insisted it was pronounced exactly like the English word F U C K, but the teacher refused to listen until I finally pulled out a dictionary with the IPA to prove it. Why the teacher had such an issue with it beats me since it's not even the same language anyway.

I know what you mean, we had a female science teacher and during the course the German scientist Kuntz came up and she pronounced it every which way except the way it was spelt!

Cannuck

Unions don't like effort.....That's what you get when you unionize the educators. They become all about themselves.

Conversely, I had a history teacher that generalized First Nations....

What's good for the goose as they say.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Would the kid be racist if he asked "why am I white"?

Probably but, some people see racism everywhere.

Blackleaf
+4
It doesn't surprise me that this happened in Britain, one of the countries worst hit by the views of the loony left.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

What's good for the goose as they say.

Your tweaked nerve aside. I bet I could make a better argument for my assertion, than he could for his. Especially if we use the teachers union as an example.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Probably but, some people see racism everywhere.

One of your many weaknesses.

Blackleaf
And the views of that MP for Hull East are just what I expect from a Labour scumbag.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Are you saying that brown skinned people don't come from Africa?

Some of them come from the Caribbean.

CDNBear
+1
Why is Karl Turned being railed?

Quote:

Karl Turner, Labour MP for Kingston upon Hull East, last night insisted that the school and Hull City Council had a statutory duty to take racism seriously.

‘However, having spoken to Hayley, I’m satisfied that her seven-year-old son, Elliott, was not being racist in his remarks but just inquisitive,’ he said.

‘It seems the matter has been taken out of all proportion and common sense seems to have gone completely out of the window.’

His statement is quite reasonable.

SLM
+2

That's the problem with the education system now. As we saw in the thread about teachers and unions using kids to further their agenda.

I can understand a teacher putting some of their life experiences into their lessons. I had a teacher that taught in Barbados who shared many of his experiences, we even swapped recipes for turtle soup. His for some species of sea turtle, mine for snapping turtle. I think it safe to say that he played a significant role in why I have an enthusiasm for ethnic foods and culture.

Conversely, I had a history teacher that generalized First Nations, as some do here. He believed every myth and stereotype. That affected his ability to teach Canadian/First Nations history in an open and honest manner. Just like those members here, are unable to discuss Canada/First Nations relations, open and honestly.

I don't disagree. That other thread you mentioned strikes me as being about unprofessional behaviour with a clear conflict of interest. Objectivity is incredibly important in teaching, especially with children where their mind is so impressionable.

I understand where personality becomes part of your job, I would never expect a teacher not to share an aspect of themselves that is a significant part of who they are. Age appropriateness and relevance to the topic at hand notwithstanding of course. Even if something is believed completely and wholeheartedly, we should still have the capacity to recognize the difference between fact and opinion. My own values, thoughts and opinions are my reality. But when I'm sharing them with others I'm able to acknowledge that my 'reality' may not be someone else's.

If you're profession is to educate, then one should be professional enough to apply a little objective assessment to what's being taught.

JLM
+1
I'd say there are very very few questions if any that are out of bounds for a seven year old? Weren't we taught as kids that there is "no such thing as a stupid question"?

TenPenny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

And the views of that MP for Hull East are just what I expect from a Labour scumbag.

Some of them come from the Caribbean.

Where did the ones in the Caribbean come from?

no new posts