We are all responsible for the plight of Canada’s first nations

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

First Nations do not want to be Canadians...

If they don't want to be Canadians then they should not be Canadians. Contrary to what you say though, I know of First Nations that want to be Canadian.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

If they don't want to be Canadians then they should not be Canadians. Contrary to what you say though, I know of First Nations that want to be Canadian.

Most First Nations don't want to be Canadians they would rather be a nation within a nation as Harper put it.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Most First Nations don't want to be Canadians they would rather be a nation within a nation as Harper put it.

You've been listening to too much of CB's propaganda. Just because special interest mouthpieces spout this nonsense, that does not make it so.

Machjo

I have no reason not to believe you. In fact, I may have met plenty myself but would not know since I was not discussing that particular subject with them. That said, I'd met at least one First Nation member who did not consider herself Canadian. Like in every other community, there it diversity. Heck, I'd met an Algonquin Muslima once, which was quite a surprise at the time, but looking back on it, why not in this cosmopolitan world of ours.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

I have no reason not to believe you. In fact, I may have met plenty myself but would not know since I was not discussing that particular subject with them. That said, I'd met at least one First Nation member who did not consider herself Canadian. Like in every other community, there it diversity. Heck, I'd met an Algonquin Muslima once, which was quite a surprise at the time, but looking back on it, why not in this cosmopolitan world of ours.

Generally speaking, there are two types of people in this world, those that look forward and those that look backwards. There is no reason why any forward thinking person would not want to be a member of one of the greatest countries in the world. Aboriginals that do not want to be Canadian are like Kweebeck separatists. They are morons but hey, it's a free country. Even morons are entitled to an opinion.

DaSleeper
+1
And you post yours ad nauseum.....

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

As to the First Nations, I have, as usual, no freaking clue, and nothing positive to add to this thread. Do wish them well. Carry on.

However;--------- I don't feel I'm responsible for anyone's plight, except my own. If I may be of assistance, real assistance, don't hesitate to call. Will do what I can to help.

And, I don't mean just passing out pamphlets at some fukking feelgood seminar.

I don't have much of plan, and neither does anyone else. The best plan is what South Korea had done, gone from a third world country mid-century, with an income of a dollar a day like Africa to creating companies like LG, Samsung and Hundai. Definite land rights and private property. They decided they would rather be like Canada than Nigeria. With far less land and resources than either.

No more tradtional land ownership that allows, "My grandfather walked that land 300 years ago, you can't do nothing to that land, no pipeline, no factory-unless of course you pay me big royalty payments, I want to be a rentier." The less third world culture we have in Canada, the better. Time to close down the dukedoms, principalities and fifedoms scattered across the country that can't support themselves.

I was compared to Custer. That's more than hopeless.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

I don't have much of plan, and neither does anyone else. The best plan is what South Korea had done, gone from a third world country mid-century, with an income of a dollar a day like Africa to creating companies like LG, Samsung and Hundai. Definite land rights and private property. They decided they would rather be like Canada than Nigeria. With far less land and resources than either.

No more tradtional land ownership that allows, "My grandfather walked that land 300 years ago, you can't do nothing to that land, no pipeline, no factory-unless of course you pay me big royalty payments, I want to be a rentier." The less third world culture we have in Canada, the better. Time to close down the dukedoms, principalities and fifedoms scattered across the country that can't support themselves.

Yes, but South Korea also did all this on its own terms while keeping its own language and culture. Are we prepared to give First Nations the same kind of freedom as South Korea? This would also include control of resources just like South Korea?

dumpthemonarchy

Then they ought to be publicized , those who go against the official grain and mouthpieces of the media. the debate so far is too stifled. They need to express their disagreement with the way things are. Canada is a democracy where discussion of all issues are permitted. There are over 600 reserves in the country, there's plenty of diversity here.

L Gilbert
+1

Why is it hopeless? You probably know just as little about Custer as you do FN people.

Then they ought to be publicized ,

They are.
Quote:

those who go against the official grain and mouthpieces of the media. the debate so far is too stifled. They need to express their disagreement with the way things are.

They do.
Quote:

Canada is a democracy where discussion of all issues are permitted. There are over 600 reserves in the country, there's plenty of diversity here.

But you would still rather FN people conform to your ideals, discussion or not. That's flatout bigotry.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Why is it hopeless?

I would say it's considered "hopeless" because for those that see things in only a black & white way, this great big world filled with shades of grey is difficult for them to comprehend.

I know you weren't really asking, that was just a random thought.

dumpthemonarchy

Yes, but South Korea also did all this on its own terms while keeping its own language and culture. Are we prepared to give First Nations the same kind of freedom as South Korea? This would also include control of resources just like South Korea?

First Nations in Canada don't have sovereign control of their lands like South Korea maintained. SK ended their own traditional cultures and practices to economically advance. Koreans did it to Koreans. Europeans did it and are doing it to Europeans. This is what a multicutlural country could mean in Canada, we end the tradtional rights of people who are not European. FNs lost it over hundreds of years and there is no going back to a pre-Columbian era. Same for tradtitional SKs.

It is a matter of Canada giving FNs the opportunities we take for granted. To let FNs use a third world system of property rights within Canada is a danger and needs to end. Countries don't advance that way. Resources in Canada belong to all Canadians, not one particular group with dated treaties from a bygone era.

L Gilbert

Resources in Canada belong to all Canadians, not one particular group with dated treaties from a bygone era.

That's not what reality says.

dumpthemonarchy

Why is it hopeless? You probably know just as little about Custer as you do FN people.

They are. They do. But you would still rather FN people conform to your ideals, discussion or not. That's flatout bigotry.

Custer used guns, no guns are required here. The war is long over in these parts. And FNs did lose.

My ideals are Canadian ideals and there are differences here as our political parties express.

L Gilbert
+1

Custer used guns, no guns are required here. The war is long over in these parts. And FNs did lose.

Jeeeezez you're dense. I didn't mean literally, moron. And no, the natives did not lose. Custer lost.

Quote:

My ideals are Canadian ideals and there are differences here as our political parties express.

Nope. Your ideals are more American than anything. You advocate the "melting pot", not the multicultural aspect.

dumpthemonarchy
+1

Jeeeezez you're dense. I didn't mean literally, moron. And no, the natives did not lose. Custer lost.

Nope. Your ideals are more American than anything. You advocate the "melting pot", not the multicultural aspect.

Custer equals guns and the US Army, he lost the battle, but the US Army won the war. And they won a war against a stone age people, as if the conclusion was in doubt.

We have property rights like SK and we're not Koreans. The point is not to drag out these legal discussions forever like the well paid, taxpayer supported lawyers want to do. For many, the process is all, time to end this fruitless futility and make some real changes that benefit FNs on the ground.

L Gilbert

Custer equals guns and the US Army, he lost the battle, but the US Army won the war. And they won a war against a stone age people, as if the conclusion was in doubt.

Like I said, dense. A simple concept about understanding one's enemy before fighting him and you didn't get it. F'ing hilarious.

Quote:

We have property rights like SK and we're not Koreans. The point is not to drag out these legal discussions forever like the well paid, taxpayer supported lawyers want to do. For many, the process is all, time to end this fruitless futility and make some real changes that benefit FNs on the ground.

I agree that things should be settled, but you've hardly come up with a reasonable idea on settling them.

Cannuck

Yes, but South Korea also did all this on its own terms while keeping its own language and culture.

Not really. Korea is becoming "westernized" very quickly. They took their cue from Japan.

As for land, that's such old thinking (not to mention lazy) Germany, Japan and particularly Singapore....each an example of people that can become weathy without lots of land and resources. It's laugable to suggest aboriginals can't become wealthy without control over their own resources.

Then they ought to be publicized , those who go against the official grain and mouthpieces of the media. the debate so far is too stifled. They need to express their disagreement with the way things are. Canada is a democracy where discussion of all issues are permitted. There are over 600 reserves in the country, there's plenty of diversity here.

Thousands of planes landed safely today. It's not newsworthy.

LiesOfTheIntell
The care bear approach will continue to create many more "civil" "service" jobs for our graduates, while having very little impact on a non-competitive society. No more money for grads who want to be employed with Native Affairs and it's spider like branches into the Federale gov't.

Fuk em all.

dumpthemonarchy
Quote: Originally Posted by LiesOfTheIntellView Post

The care bear approach will continue to create many more "civil" "service" jobs for our graduates, while having very little impact on a non-competitive society. No more money for grads who want to be employed with Native Affairs and it's spider like branches into the Federale gov't.

Fuk em all.

I agree. In the 1970s, BCIT had courses on how to work as a bureaucrat in the fed govt. Now those courses are long gone. They are going into fields that are shrinking, but keep their political causes alive, going completely against the flow of society. FNs need jobs as technocrats such as engineers, geologists, accountants, marketers, nurses, plumbers, and carpenters.

Taking a quote from the article

" Canada needs colleges and universities to make more of an effort to train first nations people in their communities, rather than relocating the students to their often-intimidating large campuses. These same institutions need to stop putting so much effort into streaming First Nations people into select fields – law, social work, education – and to broaden the reach of business, technological, apprenticeship, administrative and career-ready programs. "

dumpthemonarchy

Not really. Korea is becoming "westernized" very quickly. They took their cue from Japan.

As for land, that's such old thinking (not to mention lazy) Germany, Japan and particularly Singapore....each an example of people that can become weathy without lots of land and resources. It's laugable to suggest aboriginals can't become wealthy without control over their own resources..

You've drunk the kool-ade. I can tell you have never lived in Asia, because once you do for a while you realize, "Whoa, this place is very different." The "oneness" occurring due to globalization or tech is not happening. SK and Japan look very modern with lots of technology, but even when they speak English, they are not Canadians or any other kind of westerner. No Asian country is western.

Aboriginals can become wealthy through work, just like us. I don't control resources, so neither should they. Health Canada pays $190 million per year on aborignal dental services, are they going to pay it back? Not likely. I pay for my own dental care.

We need much more publicity on those aborginals who want to become Canadians.

Cannuck

I pay for my own dental care.

I don't. Maybe you should get a good job like me.

dumpthemonarchy

I don't. Maybe you should get a good job like me.

My dental insurance should be kicking in soon. My job might give it to me in a few months.

What kind of job do you have?

CDNBear

You've been listening to too much of CB's propaganda. Just because special interest mouthpieces spout this nonsense, that does not make it so.

Maybe you could provide a quote were I said "Most First Nations don't want to be Canadian".

I look forward to your reply filled with anything and everything but.

The war is long over in these parts. And FNs did lose.

We did? What war was that?

Quote:

My ideals are Canadian ideals...

I don't think so.

Health Canada pays $190 million per year on aborignal dental services, are they going to pay it back?

And the MIA pays Health Canada, out of the $9 Billion annually.

Quote:

Not likely. I pay for my own dental care.

So do I. Well, actually, I pay for a dental/medical package of my own.

I hear you'll be getting a company paid package soon. That's unfair, I don't have that luxury.

Quote:

We need much more publicity on those aborginals who want to become Canadians.

LOL.

He's got a cushy union job. He's more like the worst part of the First Nations, than I, or the bulk of the First Nations.

That's why he's a hypocrite.

Cannuck

My dental insurance should be kicking in soon. My job might give it to me in a few months.

So you won't be paying for your dental either? What a lazy **** you are becoming!

dumpthemonarchy
I saw on TV that chief Weasel Head of the Alberta Blood Indian band said on the CBC that assimilation is the way to go. He runs a ranch and is quite successful. After all, when you work you get decent housing and food that doesn't depend on a council. It's the deal we all have and there aint no other deal on offer. Indians oppress Indians like Africans sold Africans during the slave trade. It's not just whites that oppress.

Maybe I'll be lazy soon, I'm not quite sure what my company offers. But my dental insurance, bluecross, only pays for 60% in the first year, and only for teeth cleaning.

Cannuck

Maybe I'll be lazy soon, I'm not quite sure what my company offers. But my dental insurance, bluecross, only pays for 60% in the first year, and only for teeth cleaning.

You should move to Saskatistan then. I understand that in no time at all you will only have one tooth left.

Quote:

I saw on TV that chief Weasel Head of the Alberta Blood Indian band said on the CBC that assimilation is the way to go.

I know Charlie. We need more guys like him to help offset the propaganda spewed by the likes of CB.

CDNBear
+1

I know Charlie. We need more guys like him to help offset the propaganda spewed by the likes of CB.

And what propaganda is that? Or is this like my agenda? Another figment of your imagination?

dumpthemonarchy
No propaganda here, some chiefs know their system is hopeless with no chance of improvement for most of their people. The public is expecting results or the whole rotten system has to be cleared away. Time to do the greatest good for the greatest number.

CDNBear

No propaganda here, some chiefs know their system is hopeless with no chance of improvement for most of their people. The public is expecting results or the whole rotten system has to be cleared away. Time to do the greatest good for the greatest number.

Nope, no propaganda there.

We need more guys like him to help offset the propaganda spewed by the likes of CB.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

And what propaganda is that? Or is this like my agenda? Another figment of your imagination?

Yup, just a little too tough.

Thanks for admitting that my questions are to tough for you.

I only asked about what propaganda, since Chief Weasel Head and I share a great many opinions.

So I can imagine how tough my question would be for you.

no new posts