Red Deer man demands justice after dragged from courthouse by Sheriff

View Poll Results: Should the Officer be charged?
Yes 4 44.44%
No 2 22.22%
Not Sure 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Goober
Red Deer man demands justice after dragged from courthouse by Sheriff

Global Edmonton | Red Deer man demands justice after dragged from courthouse by Sheriff (external - login to view)

A Red Deer man, who lost his voice to cancer, is looking for justice after he tried to pay a speeding ticket at the courthouse, but seconds later was dragged out like a criminal – and it was caught on tape.

Bill Berry lost his voice four years ago to cancer. When he appeared at the courthouse he mistakenly entered through an open exit only door. He missed the security check and walked to the counter to pay his bill.

Berry was grabbed from behind by a sheriff, pulling him to the ground, knocking out his breathing tube.

“I am fed up. Somebody has to be accountable,” he tells Global News, communicating through pen and paper, “It’s not acceptable in the free world. All I did was walk in an open door in a public building and within 27 seconds I was going into convulsions.”

Berry, who is just 118 pounds and needs a breathing tube in his nose says he’s hoping for justice.

“I think the sheriff should be charged with aggravated assault and I think a civil lawsuit against the department that trained him and employed him are in order.”

Solicitor General Johnathon Denis has viewed the surveillance video but because of the pending litigation, said he couldn’t give too many details about the case.

“The only thing I can tell you is he is no longer employed by the Solicitor General or as a peace officer, meaning he is no longer a sheriff,” says Denis, “It’s obviously unfortunate. Mr. Berry, the other person involved, I’m happy he was not seriously injured.”

The RCMP also launched an investigation, Berry says he’s been told charges will not be laid.

L Gilbert
No charges. I think dismissal is enough. Exit means exit.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

No charges. I think dismissal is enough. Exit means exit.

It does make me wonder about qualifications and professionalism. Is this just a 1 of?

TenPenny
sure, charge him, and let the courts do their job. wasn't he a servant of the court?

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

It does make me wonder about qualifications and professionalism. Is this just a 1 of?

I think it's more-or-less an unfortunate isolated incident, yeah.
But, I do think the judgement of some people is way off the rails. I mean, entering an exit door of a courthouse? Not too bright. Attacking a dude as he's standing at the counter paying his bill? Also not bright.

TenPenny
I did not realize the exit was clearly marked as an exit only.

damngrumpy
+1
First of all it has been stated that there is an investigation going to take place. An
investigation will determine whether there should be charges or not that is how the
system works.
There is a lot of things in play here, the man couldn't speak, he had a breathing tube
and he missed the sign and went to pay his bill. All sounds reasonable to me at this
point.
Consider there is a security check that was missed, and that sets off all the alarm bells
naturally. The security guard didn't know who he was, or his condition when the
altercation started. Once something like this happens, the security guard cannot say
sorry as that alone leads to a court action.
We live in a litigation society and we are our own worst enemy at times. The problem
is we don't know the intent of the officer when the actions began and we don't know
what he knew, remember he brought his actions from behind the alleged offender.
I guess the investigation will determine the outcome of what happened.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

First of all it has been stated that there is an investigation going to take place. An
investigation will determine whether there should be charges or not that is how the
system works.
There is a lot of things in play here, the man couldn't speak, he had a breathing tube
and he missed the sign and went to pay his bill. All sounds reasonable to me at this
point.
Consider there is a security check that was missed, and that sets off all the alarm bells
naturally. The security guard didn't know who he was, or his condition when the
altercation started. Once something like this happens, the security guard cannot say
sorry as that alone leads to a court action.
We live in a litigation society and we are our own worst enemy at times. The problem
is we don't know the intent of the officer when the actions began and we don't know
what he knew, remember he brought his actions from behind the alleged offender.
I guess the investigation will determine the outcome of what happened.

With all the incidents I've read about people going into courtrooms and opening fire, I can't say I fully blame the guard for reacting the way he did. What happens if he hesitated and then the guy pulls out a gun? Just because this is Canada doesn't mean that this couldn't happen. I'm also not saying the guard didn't overreact, but sometimes one has to react as quickly as possible. I hope that the result of the investigation is posted here so we can know the full story.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

If it was open when he walked up the 'EXIT' would not have been visible. Perhaps the Courts should gey a on-line site where voluntary fines can be paid without a personal appearance by somebody, if I can pay Revenue Canada through online banking Alberta Justice shouldn't be any more difficult.

You would think a tap on the shoulder would be the first contact policy, a bomb would have gone off already.

PoliticalNick
+2
#10  Top Rated Post
This is a difficult situation to judge without more information. The sheriff would seem to have thought he was doing his job which is to ensure the security of the courthouse even if he was a little overzealous in his actions. The man would seem to think he did nothing wrong except for making a simple mistake of using the wrong door.

I am usually on the side of people being free until they do something to another person but this is a case of preventive measures in a location that is always open to being a target for retribution. I will have to wait for the full story to unravel before making a definitive decision.

BruSan
+1
Uuuh; question here. IF the sheriff was reacting to what he thought was a security breach and he thought tackling a 118lb person was appropriate; why was it not in his scope to determine the exit door was properly secured at all times?

C'mon here folks there's more than one failure in this scenario; whose job was it to make sure an exit door is secured against possible bypass of all security protocols. Why would this doofus think it appropriate to tackle when the clerk behind the counter is amicably attempting to converse with the "threat".

Did no one else notice that while 4 or more officers are busily subduing this "threat" a man in a sport jacket carrying a briefcase simply walks right in the door past the security check-point without any challenge to display the contents of his briefcase? Security is all important at that station allrighty!

Another case of badge-commando mentality run amock.
Last edited by BruSan; Feb 16th, 2012 at 02:55 PM..

Spade
The fellow lost his job and is being sued. Enough punishment without charges as well.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

The fellow lost his job and is being sued. Enough punishment without charges as well.

Reported today that 4 Security Guards had him on the ground. Pinned to the floor, leg on his chest - he was not breathing as the tube was jarred loose. Are they not to assess threats then act?
Last edited by Goober; Feb 16th, 2012 at 06:39 PM..

lone wolf
I've gone through an open door before. Maybe it was marked exit. Maybe not. Whomever it was coming out might have been in front of the little sign.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I've gone through an open door before. Maybe it was marked exit. Maybe not. Whomever it was coming out might have been in front of the little sign.

I'm tending towards the idea that the response of the security guards was just too quick, and too violent. I'ts
not as if the secrets of the country are in that stinking court house and a trespasser has to be jumped on asap.

lone wolf
Q: Why is there so much bullying in schools?

A: Kids watch the news too....

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Q: Why is there so much bullying in schools?

A: Kids watch the news too....

In the last year or so there have been a few stories about sheriffs, bouncers, etc. Is there such a thing as
a school for sheriffs and bouncers, security guards or do they just pick the biggest people who apply?

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

lol I bet it didn't say "Entrance" as well as "Exit". Do you try going in doors that say "out", too? Get your nose bashed by many doors?

Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

If it was open when he walked up the 'EXIT' would not have been visible.

ASSumptions again? How do you know the building didn't have one of these above the door?

Besides, exit doors with signs right on the doors have the signs on the inside of the door. And exit doors always swing outwards because of fire regs.

Quote:

Perhaps the Courts should gey a on-line site where voluntary fines can be paid without a personal appearance by somebody, if I can pay Revenue Canada through online banking Alberta Justice shouldn't be any more difficult.

Any courthouse I ever saw has a deposit box for paying fines.

MHz
No updates on the case?
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

ASSumptions again? How do you know the building didn't have one of these above the door?

Because that is the place I filed my case against my previous landlord. They also have a temp sign posted that says security is the entry point.
You suddenly need info from a thread a few years old?
Last edited by MHz; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 01:38 AM..

JLM
So what new development reincarnates this thread?

MHz
No idea, it was at the top before I did my last reply

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

No idea, it was at the top before I did my last reply

It was the Jooos

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

It was the Jooos

Oh, I was thinking maybe Harvey was on the loose!