Air Canada's pilots vote 97% for strike

mentalfloss
Air Canada's pilots vote 97% for strike

The union representing Air Canada's pilots voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action Tuesday, but the pilots insist the move is "defensive" and that passengers have nothing to worry about.

The Air Canada Pilots Association membership voted 97 per cent in favour of a strike. The union, which represents the airline's 3,000 pilots, said it shows the pilots' dedication to reaching a negotiated settlement with the airline.

Union president Paul Strachan said Tuesday night the vote results translated to the ability to even the playing field with the company, which was in a position to enforce a legal lockout. The union has been without a collective agreement since March 31, 2011.

Air Canada and the pilots' union have been attempting to reach a new agreement since October 2010. The two sides have been engaged in negotiations through a conciliator since last November.

Labour Minister Lisa Raitt said in a statement Tuesday she is offering Air Canada and its pilots a new mediator and a six-month process to help them settle their contract negotiations.

Strachan said Tuesday night negotiations will continue with a new mediator when the appointment is finalized. Air Canada also has said it is confident it can avoid a labour disruption and that talks will continue.

In her statement, Raitt cited the fragile economy as a primary reason to avoid any labour disruption at Canada's largest air carrier.

Air Canada's pilots vote 97% for strike (external - login to view)

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
taxslave
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
Meanwhile in important news Canadians voted 98% in favor of ignoring Air Canada.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Meanwhile in important news Canadians voted 98% in favor of ignoring Air Canada.

Therefore confirming that Canadians don't care about pilots and thus concluding this thread.

petros
97% speaks very loudly but what does it say?

captain morgan
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

97% speaks very loudly but what does it say?

The underlying message here is to buy shares in Westjet.

petros
Westjet sucks raw moose dick.

captain morgan
An AC strike will bump the value of Westjet and just in time for the launch of their regional service.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

An AC strike will bump the value of Westjet and just in time for the launch of their regional service.

Then management better make sure that their pilots don't strike.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Then management better make sure that their pilots don't strike.

They're non-union.

mentalfloss

They're non-union.

Then how can they strike?

petros

Regional service? I won't have to fly to Calgary to get to Winnipeg? They can't even handle all of West Can.

Would 97% of the pilots still feel under paid if they were non-union? Or unions just get them riled up for no reason?

captain morgan

Then how can they strike?

I thought you were talking about the Westjet pilots.

Regional service? I won't have to fly to Calgary to get to Winnipeg? They can't even handle all of West Can.

When they get the regional subsidiary up and running, you won't have that issue... But then again, if you're opting to fly to Wpg via the milk run, chances are that the comparative cost with AC prompted you to take on that head ache.

Would 97% of the pilots still feel under paid if they were non-union? Or unions just get them riled up for no reason?

Who cares?

If the AC pilots feel underpaid, they can always seek employment with another airline or go flip burgers... Nothing stopping them from making the best decision for themselves.

mentalfloss
+1

If the AC pilots feel underpaid, they can always seek employment with another airline or go flip burgers... Nothing stopping them from making the best decision for themselves.

Well that's not true.

They have the option to strike, right?

petros

I thought you were talking about the Westjet pilots.

When they get the regional subsidiary up and running, you won't have that issue... But then again, if you're opting to fly to Wpg via the milk run, chances are that the comparative cost with AC prompted you to take on that head ache.

Who cares?

I'd never fly on a minimum wage airline. Would you?

Why didn't Westjet by Time Air when they had the chance if they wanted to be regional?

Milk run? The milk run IS through Calgary and time is money bub.

captain morgan

Well that's not true.

They'ew threatening a strike because everything is going so well?

They have the option to strike, right?

Yup.. They most certainly do.

mentalfloss

Yup.. They most certainly do.

Right.

So there options are not simply: "deal with it or start flipping burgers".

captain morgan
+1

$178/hour is just slightly above min wage

Why didn't Westjet by Time Air when they had the chance if they wanted to be regional?

I'm thinking that their business model didn't have a regional service ready to be executed... But then again, you'd probably have to ask the CEO that question

Milk run? The milk run IS through Calgary and time is money bub.

The answer is simple then, pay the money and fly direct or charter a private plane.

Right.

So there options are not simply: "deal with it or start flipping burgers".

I suppose it is... If the AC pilots are unhappy, then they can make a decision from any number of options... Flipping burgers is one of those options.

Hell, another option is to start their own airline and pay themselves whatever amount their heart's desire.

mentalfloss
+1

Hell, another option is to start their own airline and pay themselves whatever amount their heart's desire.

And another option is to become President of the U.S.A.

captain morgan

And another option is to become President of the U.S.A.

....And?

Oh wait, I see...

Hey! Look over there!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mentalfloss
+1

....And?

Oh wait, I see...

Hey! Look over there!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I said the U.S. prez, not Justin Trudeau.

captain morgan
wtf!

mentalfloss

wtf!

WLDB
I vote to stay on the ground 100% of the time. Well, aside from when im in my tower.

TenPenny
+1

How about that one where the pilot crashed into some houses in Buffalo, she had something like 3 jobs, including at a Starbucks, in order to make a living, and rarely got much sleep.

petros

$178/hour is just slightly above min wage

The answer is simple then, pay the money and fly direct or charter a private plane.

$187...now why would airline pilots make so much? They aren't a dime a dozen?

Fly direct? On Westjet you can't get there from here.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

How about that one where the pilot crashed into some houses in Buffalo, she had something like 3 jobs, including at a Starbucks, in order to make a living, and rarely got much sleep.

She was working for a regional wasn't she? Held back from getting the flight hours to make full time money.

captain morgan

$187...now why would airline pilots make so much? They aren't a dime a dozen?

Great... Then the AC pilots don't need to strike, just walk across the tarmac to the next airline that is willing to pay them what they want, or if they desire, go flip burgers.

I really don't care.

Fly direct? On Westjet you can't get there from here.

Then fly AC or charter a plane.. Who says that you are forced to fly Westjet?

petros
They suck.

captain morgan
Then I guess that leaves you needing to charter a private plane.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

I vote to stay on the ground 100% of the time. Well, aside from when im in my tower.

Is it made of ivory?

L Gilbert

Westjet sucks raw moose dick.

Still loads better than Air Crappola.

no new posts