Fox News, 10 Years on Top

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The whole point of Fox is to 'sell soap', and ratings = advertising, so, Fox is doing what it's supposed to do. Like the Toronto Maple Leafs, doing exactly what they are supposed to do.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

i've looked at wutv and have never seen any news.

FOX 29 WUTV Buffalo

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When it comes to American stuff I usually just listen to NPR.

I tend to not listen to much of any of it. Too much of it seems designed to pit one American against the next, like the powers that be are afraid of what will happen if the whole country were to wake up and work together as brothers.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
When it comes to American stuff I usually just listen to NPR.

I listen to NPR as well... but basically you're getting the complete opposite of FOX. NPR is more left than MSNBC and it is government funded.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Google News is a much better alternative to any news you'll find on TV.

I also use Google news for international stories. I read my local newspaper for events near me.

If you watch FoxNews and take it seriously, you probably have a severely distorted perception of reality.

May 29, 2011
According to recent polls, Fox News viewers are the most misinformed of all news consumers. They are 12 percentage points more likely to believe the stimulus package caused job losses, 17 points more likely to believe Muslims want to establish Shariah law in America, 30 points more likely to say that scientists dispute global warming, and 31 points more likely to doubt President Obama’s citizenship. In fact, a study by the University of Maryland reveals, ignorance of Fox viewers actually increases the longer they watch the network.
Chris Mooney | The Fox News "Effect": A Few References

The FoxNews effect is measurable. Several studies now have confirmed and reconfirmed that the more you watch FoxNews the less informed you are.

I listen to NPR as well... but basically you're getting the complete opposite of FOX. NPR is more left than MSNBC and it is government funded.
Just like accurate is the opposite of inaccurate.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I also use Google news for international stories. I read my local newspaper for events near me.

If you watch FoxNews and take it seriously, you probably have a severely distorted perception of reality.

May 29, 2011
According to recent polls, Fox News viewers are the most misinformed of all news consumers. They are 12 percentage points more likely to believe the stimulus package caused job losses, 17 points more likely to believe Muslims want to establish Shariah law in America, 30 points more likely to say that scientists dispute global warming, and 31 points more likely to doubt President Obama’s citizenship. In fact, a study by the University of Maryland reveals, ignorance of Fox viewers actually increases the longer they watch the network.
Chris Mooney | The Fox News "Effect": A Few References

The FoxNews effect is measurable. Several studies now have confirmed and reconfirmed that the more you watch FoxNews the less informed you are.

Just like accurate is the opposite of inaccurate.

No wonder you like his writings, he has a narrow vision bias just like you....he even posts a disclaimer...just like you:roll:
It’s important to note that these studies do not prove causation. In other words, they do not prove that watching Fox makes people believe incorrect things. After all, it could be that those who are more likely to believe the incorrect things listed above are also more likely to watch Fox, to seek out Fox, etc. The causation could go in the opposite direction.

I found the comments at the bottom of that "blog" more interesting than the post:lol:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yes it could be that FoxNews is not the cause. It could be that dumb people tend to watch FoxNews instead.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Not hardly... just that as FOX is right, NPR is left. NPR is so liberal that only government funding would keep it going.
People who watch NPR tend to be informed and have accurate perceptions. People who watch FoxNews tend to be misinformed and have inaccurate perceptions. Many studies have proved this relationship. I posted references to them above.

So yes NPR and FoxNews are opposites.

BTW, people who get their news from the Daily Show and the Colbert Report tend to be well informed compared to people who get their news from Fox:

The poll—which asked New Jerseyans where they find news and information about current events—found that Sunday morning news shows are the most informative, while Fox News actually leads people to be less informed than those who consume no news at all.
The poll focused partly on popular uprisings in Egypt and Syria. Asked whether the people of Egypt successfully topped Hosni Mubarak's regime, 49 percent of Fox News viewers answered "yes"—the lowest on the scale—while 68 percent of NPR listeners answered in the affirmative, the highest on the scale.

Those who watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart performed well on the questions. Sixty percent of Daily Show viewers correctly answered that opposition forces in Syria have not yet toppled the government, second only to NPR. Forty-five percent of Fox News viewers answered "no."

"The (poll's) results show us that there is something about watching Fox News that leads people to do worse on these questions than those who don't watch any news at all," said Dan Cassino, a political science professor at Fairleigh Dickinson and an analyst for the poll.

The results probably won't come as much of a shock. In December, TPM reported that a University of Maryland study showed that daily Fox News viewers were the most misinformed, regardless of political party.

Poll: Fox News Viewers Less Informed Than Those Who Read No News

I watch FoxNews, but I treat it as comedy, rather than take it seriously.

Last edited: