Courage????

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Acts of courage. Everyday acts and those that can stun the world. Where one act of courage, the young man whose act of suicide started the Arab Spring.

He is another story from a time forgotten by many and denied by a large swath of so called humanity as never happening, or numbers ain't right.

This thread is for those, many who die that when confronted with tragic events, they put their lives at risk to save others.

Heroines of Auschwitz

On Jan. 27, 1945, 67 years ago today, the Soviet Army liberated Auschwitz. From 1942 to late 1944, the concentration camp became the center of the wholesale murder of European Jewry. There were others - Treblinka, Sobibor, Chelmno, Belzec, Majdanek, to name just a few. But it was Auschwitz that was to become the archetype of genocide. The gas chambers of Auschwitz took the lives of an estimated 1.1 million people, almost a million of them Jews.

Yet within Auschwitz's horror there were unique acts of bravery from which we must always take heart. The courage of Anna (Wajcblum) Heilman and the women of the Auschwitz munitions factory is one such story.

By mid 1944, the inmates knew that Germany was losing the war. Believing they would die anyway, Anna and her friends wanted to find a way to fight back, to give their deaths meaning. Ester, Anna, and a few other female prisoners began to smuggle gunpowder from the factory, a tiny amount at a time, hidden in their kerchiefs or sleeves. Being caught meant instant execution.

The young women gave the smuggled gunpowder to a young Polish Jew named Rosa Robota, who in turn passed it on to the Sonderkommando, a detail of Jewish male slave crematoria workers. These Sonderkommando included Soviet prisoners of war who knew how to make improvised explosives.

On Oct. 7, 1944, the Sonderkommando revolted, attacking the SS with stones, axes and homemade grenades produced from the smuggled gunpowder.

Several SS were killed. One of the four crematoria was severely damaged by the improvised explosives. It was never used again, saving many lives. The Sonderkommando were all killed.

The SS traced the gunpowder back to the munitions plant. Anna's sister Ester and three other young women, Ala Gertner, Rosa Robota and Regina Safirstajn, were tortured for months by the SS. But they gave up only the names of the Sonderkommando, who were already dead. They did not betray Anna or the others involved.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Acts of courage. Everyday acts and those that can stun the world. Where one act of courage, the young man whose act of suicide started the Arab Spring.

He is another story from a time forgotten by many and denied by a large swath of so called humanity as never happening,
I find it interesting that those that see heroism in the Arab Spring movement were also the loudest to shout against the occupy movement. Many of those people risked life and limb against police brutality for something they believed in and were passionate about. I guess double standards are the measure of today's idealism and political rhetoric.

I chose to salute their selfless bravery in the face of such overwhelming odds, brutality and opposition. Heroes one and all.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I find it interesting that those that see heroism in the Arab Spring movement were also the loudest to shout against the occupy movement. Many of those people risked life and limb against police brutality for something they believed in and were passionate about. I guess double standards are the measure of today's idealism and political rhetoric.

Comparing the Arab Spring to a bunch of hippies, druggies, and rich whinny brats?

How is that Occupy Movement doing anyhow?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Comparing the Arab Spring to a bunch of hippies, druggies, and rich whinny brats?

How is that Occupy Movement doing anyhow?
Now that is exactly what I'm talking about. Who were the people getting beat up and killed in Egypt? Someone has to stand up for social justice and freedom. I saw quite a few ex military, even some marines in there supporting them. Were the rich whiny hippies too?

Who were the mercenary "rebels" we supported in Libya? Who financed them? That really had nothing to do with the Arab Spring, IMHO.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Now that is exactly what I'm talking about. Who were the people getting beat up and killed in Egypt? Someone has to stand up for social justice and freedom. I saw quite a few ex military, even some marines in there supporting them. Were the rich whiny hippies too?

Sure there were some ex-military... we can't all be perfect.

The Occupy Movement did nothing but cost millions and millions of taxpayer money and was a cesspool of crime, drugs, and filth.

Comparing the Occupy Movement to the Arab Spring and resistance in Auschwitz.

Who were the mercenary "rebels" we supported in Libya? Who financed them? That really had nothing to do with the Arab Spring, IMHO.

This really has nothing to do with this thread either... IMHO.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I chose to salute their selfless bravery in the face of such overwhelming odds, brutality and opposition. Heroes one and all.

Sorry Cliffy but I find that really hard to swallow. Comparing the "risk" posed by police forces to a crowd in here N.A. with the risk incurred by protesters in a place like Syria where they actually opened fire on the crowd? That's like comparing a weekend in the drunk tank with incarceration at Auschwitz, more than a bit of a stretch.

I'm not saying that people in Canada or the U.S. do not have a right to gather, to protest, to demand more of their government. They absolutely do, in fact I think there should be more of it. I'm certainly not saying that the government here can do no wrong, or that there is no corruption, or waste or any of that. But comparing those folks with those who stood up to a completely corrupt and oppressive government?

C'mon now! They trucked port-a-potties in for them for goodness sakes! They suffered mild discomfort as they sat in their tents with their wifi connected laptops and tweeted about it. They did not risk their lives!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Sorry Cliffy but I find that really hard to swallow. Comparing the "risk" posed by police forces to a crowd in here N.A. with the risk incurred by protesters in a place like Syria where they actually opened fire on the crowd? That's like comparing a weekend in the drunk tank with incarceration at Auschwitz, more than a bit of a stretch.

I'm not saying that people in Canada or the U.S. do not have a right to gather, to protest, to demand more of their government. They absolutely do, in fact I think there should be more of it. I'm certainly not saying that the government here can do no wrong, or that there is no corruption, or waste or any of that. But comparing those folks with those who stood up to a completely corrupt and oppressive government?

C'mon now! They trucked port-a-potties in for them for goodness sakes! They suffered mild discomfort as they sat in their tents with their wifi connected laptops and tweeted about it. They did not risk their lives!

So,you're saying that if the Libyans brought in Portapotties, they would have no reason to protest?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And there we have the proof. Protesting against injustice
and oppression is okay for "other people", but not here at home.

How many were shot and killed. How many were arrested then subjected to state sponsored torture.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Th shooting and the torture and the concentration camps are just over the horizon on the NA continent. Of course with two million in prison in the USA, usa #1 usa #1 high fives and all that ****, that crippled country has the practice down pat all that's needed is a little escalation in unemployment and poverty and kazam we got American civil war 2.0. six million will seem like nothing

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Great how some take a thread that is dedicated to those that run into a burning building to save a life. Those that dive into a freezing river to save a child.

To those that are sidetracking this I would hope that we all return to the topic.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Great how some take a thread that is dedicated to those that run into a burning building to save a life. Those that dive into a freezing river to save a child.

To those that are sidetracking this I would hope that we all return to the topic.

Maybe it's better that the smoke clears at inception rather than have this drag out for pages and pages.

In the end, I agree with ES and SLM. At least I see a form of politicizing the theme that you offered in the OP.

But, back to the topic at hand, here's a couple for ya:

In the ultimate self-sacrifice, 180 workers are taking shifts to cool the wrecked reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. The men, known as the Fukushima 50 because they work in shifts of 50, are likely being exposed to huge amounts of radiation.

The workers are being hailed as heroes for risking their lives. Read more.

And...

It's not just manpower behind the aid in Japan -- it's also man's best friend. A video reveals a dog serving as a true sentinel to his canine companion, refusing to leave the side of his injured friend lying on a debris-filled beach.

After an hour, rescuers calmed the guardian dog and took him to a shelter. The other dog was reportedly brought to the vet. Read more.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Sorry Goober, didn't mean to participate in the side tracking. My offering:

The Homeless Hero – The Salvation Army in Canada

He saved people from a freezing river on two occasions. If that doesn't qualify as heroic, then I don't know what does.

Maybe it's better that the smoke clears at inception rather than have this drag out for pages and pages.

It's worth a shot at least.

At least I see a form of politicizing the theme that you offered in the OP.

Some people seem to need to politicize everything. Kind of reminds me of how Yukon Jack would immediately jump on anyone who mentioned they respected Terry Fox and trash him while exalting Steve Fonyo. Because no one could possibly respect two one-legged marathoners.