Expand burka ban, says Muslim group

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Good idea. But a simpler one is to take in far fewer immigrants for a few decades. Then we will have fewer issues like this to worry about . Or issues like the Toronto 18, honour killings, or a growing imbalance in males over females in urban areas in the country due to growing ethnic enclaves.

Expand burka ban, says Muslim group | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

Expand burka ban, says Muslim group

By Chris Doucette ,Toronto Sun First posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 09:02 PM EST | Updated: Monday, January 23, 2012 12:19 PM EST

Report an error
More Coverage

Related Stories

TORONTO - A Muslim group is urging Canada’s immigration minister to extend his recent burka ban beyond the citizenship courts.
The Muslim Canadian Congress honoured Jason Kenney at a hotel in Toronto’s west end Sunday for his decision to ban burkas during swearing-in ceremonies.

But then the group asked the minister to go a step further and introduce legislation requiring any face coverings be removed to work in the public sector or do business with government officials.

“You have taken a very courageous step in banning the burka from citizenship ceremonies,” Farzana Khan, former MCC president, told the minister.

She then suggested Kenny table a bill similar to Quebec’s Bill 94.

Burkas and niqabs are not only a “security hazard,” they are also symbols of gender inequality and Islamic extremism, Khan said.
“Invoking religious freedoms to conceal one’s identity and promote political ideology is disingenuous,” she said.
Khan and others said women who hide their faces do so for cultural reasons, not religious purposes, so it should not be protected under the country’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

“As Canadian citizens, it is our right to see the faces of the people we deal with in public places,” said MCC Secretary General Tahir Aslam Gora.

After listening to the appeal, the Kenney said the idea sounds good in principle but he’ll need to take a closer look at it.
However, Kenney added his decision to ban burkas at citizenship ceremonies was an easy one and it had the support of 81% of Canadians.

“For me it’s a simple principle,” Kenney said, adding he doesn’t see the ban as controversial.
“People take a public oath publicly,” he said, explaining those who witness the citizenship ceremony should be able to see and hear the new Canadians declaring their allegiance to the country.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If we have fewer immigrants, that would mean less people for you to hate.

Last edited by a moderator:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Isn't this like hate speech?

Hate speech is now anything that can be insinuated to mean something unpleasant. Found the PC crowd here who hates any dissenting opinions. I really hate honour killings. We sent an army to Afhganistan to stop this hateful practice. We're failed there and we're failing here. I'm not keen on people who do honour killing. Some people hate people who do honour killing, but never say it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Cannuck blithered, "I hate people that can't figure out the quote function. We should send them all back to where they belong"

I hate blithering. Blitherers should be exiled to Ellesmere Island without chapstick!

What have they ever done to you?

They sat on a paper doily lining a fancy bone-china plate and were offered to me to eat, Honestly, what would you have done?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Spade blithered, I hate blithering. Blitherers should be exiled to Ellesmere Island without chapstick!

I hate blitherers that blither about other blitherers. They should be sent to St Johns without an English/Newfie dictionary.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yup, that's what we should do, legislate how people should dress....... hmmmm.... sound familiar?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Yup, that's what we should do, legislate how people should dress....... hmmmm.... sound familiar?

Of course we should. We have too few laws. I saw an Anglican priest wearing a Roman collar. Really, a Roman collar! Krist, Italy,is on the Mediterranean, and that's next to the Middle East!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
And on the other hand;
It's easy to get respect if you;
-respect your fellow man and the people around you
-help others to help themselves
-do more than your share in a team activity
-conform to the standards set by the people around you
-respect other people's opinions and offer constructive suggestions
-be a nice person
-respect your country and what others have done to make Canada a great place to live
-participate in sports and community cultural events ie theater, opera, dance etc etc and be a community leader
-work hard to establish equality for all members of society, freedom to chose partners regardless of religion or sex

Anybody want to add some items to the list ???