Northwestern Ontario First Nation needs 300 homes

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
This is another reserve. But no problem chief, your wish is the Canadian command. Let's see, 200 x $250,000 equals a cool $50,000,000 for the new houses. What's your address chief? The cheque is in the mail buddy.

I'm sure all this is written in some unchanging, old, sacred, spiritual treaty made by the British in 1763. Or it must be stated in the Indian Act somewhere. The water in the rivers is still running, then so is the cash. Duh. The great white Santa Claus with his big fat chequebook is always open for business for some people.

Northwestern Ontario First Nation needs 300 homes - Thunder Bay - CBC News

Northwestern Ontario First Nation needs 300 homes

Chief wants an end to shacks and outhouses

CBC News

Posted: Jan 23, 2012 11:31 AM ET

Last Updated: Jan 23, 2012 4:19 PM ET

Read 16 comments16
A total of 18 people live in this house in Mishkeegogamang, a First Nation community located about 500 kilometres northwest of Thunder Bay. (Jody Porter/CBC)

Facebook

Twitter

Email

Related

Close
First Nations meeting8:24
First Nations meeting8:24

The Mishkeegogamang First Nation in northwestern Ontario needs more than 300 homes, its chief says, and she hopes the First Nations housing shortage across the country will be high on the agenda when the prime minister meets with chiefs in Ottawa on Tuesday.
Mishkeegogamang Chief Connie Gray-McKay said she only wants one thing out of the chiefs' meeting with Stephen Harper this week — for basic human rights to be met on First Nations reserves.
“We're not asking for the sky, the stars and the moon. We're asking for basic things — and the most basic is food and shelter,” she said.

Gray-McKay wants to see an end to her people living in shacks and using outhouses.
There are 16 new homes on the First Nation this year — but no one lives in them yet.
“They're empty because hydro can't get here,” said Gray-McKay.

A bureaucratic maze has delayed the move-in dates — one more complication in getting people into healthy homes.
Mishkeegogamang Chief Connie Gray-McKay says Prime Minister Stephen Harper needs to listen to aboriginal leaders about the First Nations housing problem. (Jody Porter/CBC)
A generation ago, there weren't enough homes for the people who lived in Mishkeegogamang, located 500 kilometres northwest of Thunder Bay. A population boom has hit the community since then, and a third generation is now crammed into their grandparents' homes.

"The biggest thing is the overcrowding,” Gray-McKay said, but added that the homes are built with substandard materials and don't seem to last.

Resident Joshua Lawson said the living conditions make family life stressful. The murky brown water he pours from a plastic container into a pot is testament to the problems.

“That’s what we've been drinking … that's what we got to wash our clothes with too,” Lawson said.
He points to a bucket in the corner, which the family uses for a toilet.
‘I feel like a slum landlord’

During a tour of the community, the chief stops her van in front of a one-storey log cabin with a broken window.
“They're kind of embarrassed to [have] people here,” Gray-McKay said, noting that 18 people are crammed into the dwelling. “It's a grandmother, her children and the grandchildren.”
Steve Lawson has no running water, no indoor toilet and no insulation in the trailer he calls home. (Jody Porter/CBC)
Next door, Steve Lawson, his wife and four kids live in a second-hand trailer the First Nation bought and towed here.
“We don't have no running water in this building,” Lawson said. “I'm using a slop pail for seven years already. My daughters are getting old; one of them is 16, so they need a clean washroom.”

Gray-McKay said the conditions are shameful.

“Sometimes I feel like a slum landlord because they're paying rent on houses they shouldn't be paying on — so you do the best you can,” she said, pointing out several houses in various states of disrepair.

“This one doesn't even have electricity or running water,” she said. “That second house there, the logs are rotting so bad,” she says. “My brother lives there and I think their house is going to fall apart. All these houses are old, they need to be renovated.”

She said her hope for the Tuesday meeting with the prime minister is that it helps Canadians understand they need to share the wealth. Several mining companies have operations near Mishkeegogamang, but few jobs are coming to the community.

“I'm going to make this as simple as possible, because there's nothing complicated about what's happening, and what the government could do is just listen,” Gray-McKay said.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Come on no one is talking about 250,000 dollar homes. Secondly people in the south
in many parts of Canada don't pay that kind of money for housing, this is a skewed
view of things at best and a worst its done to create hype and a backlash.
Now if we were talking about the reality of what people are living in and how much the
cost was really projected to be that is a different matter. Even if they cited that kind of
money, it is a bargaining position and as anyone knows what the ask is, is far less than
what the amount will be.
Something has to be done, and what and when and where are the details to be discussed.
I think it is really stretching it to be so sensational when the real discussions have not yet
revealed anything. It is good to be critical but to be biased and unfair is something else
again.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
$250,000 is the cost I heard on TV. The shipping costs are huge. Not to mention administrative costs. That price will barely get you a condo in Vancouver. This is modest. Even if the price is half, that's $25 million bucks. Real money to me that ought to go to a method to get these isolated, uneducated people assimlated into the mainstream where such atrocious housing does not exist.

Indians are nice people, they are sucked into a ruthless system that does not work for them.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The crown/federal govt/chiefs/bands are slum landlords.

I want to put them out of business. I don't want to hear about these stories every day for the next twenty years, but I will with the current system.

What is it with your hatred of First nations people. Clearly you are racist in your rants and posts.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I would like a new house. The one I own on Vancouver Island is really old and needs to be updated. I can rebuild for $200k. Which govt agency do I apply to?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I would like a new house. The one I own on Vancouver Island is really old and needs to be updated. I can rebuild for $200k. Which govt agency do I apply to?

Move in with Dump - seems you both have the same opinion on First Nations people.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't get bribes to support the current system and it is neither corrupt nor rotten, is it sometimes
inefficient, or incompetent? Yes, however that is a long way from corrupt. There are some people
though that do not believe in social justice and we can only guess at some who I may be speaking
of.
In addition I believe two hundred and fifty thousand is a bit steep and the natives know they won't
get that kind of money. It a bargaining tool. The other thing that strikes me here is what is the lay
of the land? Is there timber in the area we are speaking of? Couldn't the homes be built closer to
where they are needed? Could the government not put together a program to train local people on
the Reserve to build these homes and thus save money?
Wouldn't these be better questions that are at least constructive? We might get no for all the
answers but its a far cry from just blindly condemning everything. But then blindly condemning is
what some people do best, largely because it is difficult to question something constructively.
I don't agree with everything that happens with the natives either, but making blanket statements
without facts is not appropriate either.
I do agree asking where the money went and doing an audit is fair game we the tax payers are
putting up the investment so we should have knowledge as to how the money is spent and was it
spent wisely. If we are going to be critical lets get down to it then. We the taxpayers have given
the Harper government billions and in additions Harper's Government has spent billions we haven't
given him yet, and we are not calling him corrupt are we?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Move in with Dump - seems you both have the same opinion on First Nations people.

I have nothing but respect for all my native friends who work hard and pay taxes and don't run to the govt for cash every time their roof needs repair or they need to fix their plumbing. I also detest white people who live on welfare because they can. It's not a racist thing, its a matter of personal responsibility for your life no matter what ethnicity.

FYI- I live in a nice 5 bedroom house in Edson AB, but my other house does need replacing which I will do soon because I work for it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I have nothing but respect for all my native friends who work hard and pay taxes and don't run to the govt for cash every time their roof needs repair or they need to fix their plumbing. I also detest white people who live on welfare because they can. It's not a racist thing, its a matter of personal responsibility for your life no matter what ethnicity.

FYI- I live in a nice 5 bedroom house in Edson AB, but my other house does need replacing which I will do soon because I work for it.

Ask your Aboriginals friends what life is like for a person born into a First Nations. Oh yes, they are your friends so you should have a well thought out response. Now shouldn't you?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I don't get bribes to support the current system and it is neither corrupt nor rotten, is it sometimes
inefficient, or incompetent? Yes, however that is a long way from corrupt. There are some people
though that do not believe in social justice and we can only guess at some who I may be speaking
of.
In addition I believe two hundred and fifty thousand is a bit steep and the natives know they won't
get that kind of money. It a bargaining tool. The other thing that strikes me here is what is the lay
of the land? Is there timber in the area we are speaking of? Couldn't the homes be built closer to
where they are needed? Could the government not put together a program to train local people on
the Reserve to build these homes and thus save money?
Wouldn't these be better questions that are at least constructive? We might get no for all the
answers but its a far cry from just blindly condemning everything. But then blindly condemning is
what some people do best, largely because it is difficult to question something constructively.
I don't agree with everything that happens with the natives either, but making blanket statements
without facts is not appropriate either.
I do agree asking where the money went and doing an audit is fair game we the tax payers are
putting up the investment so we should have knowledge as to how the money is spent and was it
spent wisely. If we are going to be critical lets get down to it then. We the taxpayers have given
the Harper government billions and in additions Harper's Government has spent billions we haven't
given him yet, and we are not calling him corrupt are we?

The chief, or is he a king? however, asked for money, not training programs. Give them free houses so they can't buy or take care of their property, keep them dependent children on the great white queen/crown/Santa Claus, or band council.

But giving these people stuff, is like trying to give the Middle East democracy, say Iraq or Afghanistan. Whether you try to give people stuff at the barrel of a gun (is that dumb or what?) or shoveling the money off a truck (dumb but fun), they don't care ot understand what they are getting. Ergo, it reflects more the giver than the givee. We can make aboriginals learn and integrate into our system in a way we can't make Iraqis or Afhgans learn or integrate into our system.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The chief, or is he a king? however, asked for money, not training programs. Give them free houses so they can't buy or take care of their property, keep them dependent children on the great white queen/crown/Santa Claus, or band council.

But giving these people stuff, is like trying to give the Middle East democracy, say Iraq or Afghanistan. Whether you try to give people stuff at the barrel of a gun (is that dumb or what?) or shoveling the money off a truck (dumb but fun), they don't care ot understand what they are getting. Ergo, it reflects more the giver than the givee. We can make aboriginals learn and integrate into our system in a way we can't make Iraqis or Afhgans learn or integrate into our system.

Does that apply to those that have emigrated to Canada?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Ask your Aboriginals friends what life is like for a person born into a First Nations. Oh yes, they are your friends so you should have a well thought out response. Now shouldn't you?

A buddy of mine is doing very well. He is a golf pro in the Maritimes. He would be quite insulted by your condescending attitude towards him just because he is an aboriginal.