Mormonism: Cult or Religion?


L Gilbert
#61
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Well done! Now my question...

Who'll win the Stanley or the Superbowl? I haven't the foggiest notion.
 
Spade
#62
Up to Gawd, of course!
 
Goober
+1
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

You may be right. Gawd is busy deciding who will win the Stanley Cup or the Super Bowl.

Got the goods from Gawd, local call for Maritimers, regardless of location. Toronto does not have a chance. I told him, God Damm, his reply was yes they are for a few more years.
 
Spade
#64
And the question Americans must have...? Bump...

I suspect this thread arose because of the internecine religious bickering over Romney's quest for the Republican gold ring. Well, this got me thinking. Are there not Catholics and Evangelicals in the same race? Now, I know that Catholics, the Orthodox, Anglicans, and Copts are Christians. After all, even though they may not have been around for two millennia (Sorry Henry VIII), at least their theology has. And, that theology owes a debt of gratitude to Saul of Tarsus and his interpretation of Yeshua the Nazarene, the Church fathers in the Fourth Century in Nicaea, Constantine, other mystery religions, and so on.

These Christian churches deem heretical (or at best extremely doubtful) such notions as:
* Born againess
* The Rapture
* Armageddon
* Prophetic musings about Israel
* End time conjectures
* Justification by Faith alone, and so on and so forth.

So, my question is:

Are Born-Again Evangelicals Promoting End-Time Theology, Rapture, and Armageddon Christians?

I would like to know before November.
 
ironsides
+1
#65
Mormans: Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God. His birth, life, death, and resurrection fulfilled the many prophecies contained in the scriptures concerning the coming of a Savior. He was the Creator, He is our Savior, and He will be our Judge (see Isaiah 9:6 (external - login to view), 53:3-7 (external - login to view); Psalms 22:16-18 (external - login to view)).

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

China asks a legitimate question. Not all Christians accept the divinity of Jesus. Christianity is a broad spectrum; some denominations are Islam without Mohammed. No one really can define it.

Last I head, all Christians do believe in the divinity of Jesus am not aware of any substantial organized branches of Christianity that do not assert the divinity of Jesus, Unitarian Universalists are not Christians. No idea where they fall on the list of religions.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Up to Gawd, of course!

and Tim Tebow, he did it again.
 
Spade
#66
Not all denominations...or even heads of major denominations..
Jesus' Divinity Debated - The Canadian Encyclopedia (external - login to view)
 
Goober
+1
#67
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Not all denominations...or even heads of major denominations..
Jesus' Divinity Debated - The Canadian Encyclopedia (external - login to view)

I am UCC and many believe that he along with others are the ruination of the Church.
 
Spade
#68
It's a legitimate debate; but, raises uncomfortable questions.
(welcome) johnshelbyspong.com (external - login to view)

Tom Harpur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)
 
Goober
+1
#69
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Not all denominations...or even heads of major denominations..
Jesus' Divinity Debated - The Canadian Encyclopedia (external - login to view)

I compare this fellow to these.

File-sharing recognized as a religion in Sweden - The Local (external - login to view)
 
Spade
#70
PS to Ironsides
Canada differs markedly from the US
Only 53% of Canadians believe in a god.
33% of Catholics and 28% of Protestants do not, but are not Catholics and Protestants Christians?
Religion raises more questions than answers for Canadians: poll | Holy Post | National Post
 
Goober
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

PS to Ironsides
Canada differs markedly from the US
Only 53% of Canadians believe in a god.
33% of Catholics and 28% of Protestants do not, but are not Catholics and Protestants Christians?
Religion raises more questions than answers for Canadians: poll | Holy Post | National Post

Did it answer why those that attend Church, but profess no belief in God, go to Church
 
Cliffy
+1
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Did it answer why those that attend Church, but profess no belief in God, go to Church

I know quite a few who go to church for the social aspects of congregation, some go to network and schmooze potential customers, some go as an insurance policy as many congregations will take care of their congregation members in hard times, etc. A friend was told that if he wanted his business to succeed in Revelstoke, he would have to join the Alliance Church. He couldn't stomach the idea of going to church so he repaired all their stained glass windows for free and soon had all the sign and stain glass business he could handle.
 
petros
+1
#73
I still say Smith was a Gray Alien.

 
Spade
#74
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Did it answer why those that attend Church, but profess no belief in God, go to Church

The reasons are social and cultural as Cliffy said. For instance, I have a buddy who attends church faithfully, but is a non-believer. He is in the choir; loves to sing and has a great voice.

PS to Brother Petros:

Grey's anatomy suggests a close connexion.
 
petros
#75
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post


PS to Brother Petros:

Grey's anatomy suggests a close connexion.

Any cattle mutilations on that show?
 
Spade
#76
Nope, just recipes.

Add a pinch of heifer to a Walton.
Stir with probes
Combine with implants and lost memories
 
petros
#77
Iron Chef crossed with ER
 
Spade
+1
#78
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Iron Chef crossed with ER

And with a smidge of "Pigs in Space."
 
ironsides
#79
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

PS to Ironsides
Canada differs markedly from the US
Only 53% of Canadians believe in a god.
33% of Catholics and 28% of Protestants do not, but are not Catholics and Protestants Christians?
Religion raises more questions than answers for Canadians: poll | Holy Post | National Post

Your right, American's for the most part believe in God 90+% didn't think it was that high. Funny thing though about the same number of people in both countries do not believe.
More Than 9 in 10 Americans Continue to Believe in God (external - login to view)



As to the question:


I just meant that in order to be considered a Christian, you must accept Jesus as the son of God. All who do not believe are not Christians but something else. All the Protestant religions had some beef against the Catholic Church about one thing or another, but all believe in Jesus and are Christian.
 
Spade
+2
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

Your right, American's for the most part believe in God 90+% didn't think it was that high. Funny thing though about the same number of people in both countries do not believe.
More Than 9 in 10 Americans Continue to Believe in God (external - login to view)



As to the question:


I just meant that in order to be considered a Christian, you must accept Jesus as the son of God. All who do not believe are not Christians but something else. All the Protestant religions had some beef against the Catholic Church about one thing or another, but all believe in Jesus and are Christian.

As you are well aware, my question about Evangelicals was tongue in cheek. What does concern me, as a interested observer of American politics, is the insistence on religious conformity as the litmus for political candidates.
Not quite "free at last."
 
Dexter Sinister
+1
#81
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

Your right, American's for the most part believe in God 90+% ...

Interesting, but as usual it depends what questions the pollsters ask. A report in my local newspaper last Saturday, which interested me enough to clip out and save, said 44% of Americans told the Baylor University Religion Survey in 2011 that they spend no time seeking "eternal wisdom, " and 19% said "it's useless to search for meaning." 46% in 2011 told an evangelical research agency based in Nashville called Lifeway Research that they never wonder whether they'll go to heaven (though that might just mean they're sure they will), 28% said "It's not a major priority in my life to find my deeper purpose," and 18% reportedly scoffed at the idea that god has a plan or purpose for everyone.

More nuanced questions suggest the U.S. might be a good deal more secular than is commonly believed, and maybe the secularists just don't stand for public office or go to political rallies. True believers are still a clear majority, so much so that you'd have no chance of being elected in most jurisdictions if you stood up and announced disbelief, and in some places it'd be actively dangerous to do so. It remains true that the level of religious observance is the U.S. is anomalously high compared to other western democracies, you have to go into the Third World to find anything that matches it, but a simplistic question like "Do you believe in god?" won't distinguish a deist from a theist from a flaming fundamentalist.

 
karrie
+1
#82
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter SinisterView Post

but a simplistic question like "Do you believe in god?" won't distinguish a deist from a theist from a flaming fundamentalist.



Especially given the fact that I swear fundamentalism is more about controlling other people than it is about personal belief. One fairly fundamental right wing Christian I knew actually admitted to not really believing in god at all, merely he supported the views espoused in the Bible as to how to live, and would like to see them implemented.
 
bill barilko
#83
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I swear fundamentalism is more about controlling other people than it is about personal belief......

One sees evidence of this in the way fundies invent idiotic dress codes for women-all to control their lives as much as possible.
 
Goober
#84
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

As you are well aware, my question about Evangelicals was tongue in cheek. What does concern me, as a interested observer of American politics, is the insistence on religious conformity as the litmus for political candidates.
Not quite "free at last."

A question on that Brother.

Obama identifies as a black man. Yet his mother is white. To me i really do not give a crap about a persons color. But I am confused.

As to a person running for elected office without any religious beliefs. What are the stats for Western Europe on this? I am referring to a PM or President - an equivilent position.
 
Spade
+1
#85
The first part of the issue.
It speaks volumes that in America, Obama is called "black" and not simply a "man."
As you know, South Africa under Apartheid classified everyone according to race even for a smidgeon of DNA.

Will get back to you...
I cannot think that democracies such as France and Germany would use this litmus.

Sarkozy - lapsed (non-practising) Catholic
 
Goober
#86
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

The first part of the issue.
It speaks volumes that in America, Obama is called "black" and not simply a "man."
As you know, South Africa under Apartheid classified everyone according to race even for a smidgeon of DNA.

Will get back to you...
I cannot think that democracies such as France and Germany would use this litmus.

Sarkozy - lapsed (non-practising) Catholic

It also speaks volumes that he won in Iowa during the primaries.


Lots of lapsed RC's around. We over at the UCC take em in all the time.
 
Spade
#87
Giorgio Napolitano, President of Italy, Atheist
I am sure one could find many more
 
karrie
+2
#88
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post


Obama identifies as a black man. Yet his mother is white. To me i really do not give a crap about a persons color. But I am confused.

You might care less, but, when the world brushed up against Barack Obama and formed his view of who he is, what do you think the impression he got from the world was? That he was black? Or white? Because typically, interacting with someone in a real world setting, you don't ask for their lineage before you decide how you're going to treat them.
 
Goober
#89
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

You might care less, but, when the world brushed up against Barack Obama and formed his view of who he is, what do you think the impression he got from the world was? That he was black? Or white? Because typically, interacting with someone in a real world setting, you don't ask for their lineage before you decide how you're going to treat them.

True - But it is apparent he is of mixed heritage. And people today still have that racist attitude, whether it is color, religion and or ethnicity.
I recall his 1st speech to the National Party Great speaker And as I mentioned he won in Iowa Small town USA.
 
Spade
#90
Goober,
Another...
Fredrik Reinfeldt, Prime Minister of Sweden (The damn junior cup winners!), Agnostic
Cheers,
Brother Spade

PS
Looks like Hell will have European management.
 

Similar Threads

98
The Conspiracy Cult
by Tony The Bot | Aug 17th, 2011
6
AGW is a cult
by Walter | Jan 4th, 2008
17
The Cult of 9/11
by JBeee | Aug 22nd, 2007
1
The latest cult classic
by Canucklehead | May 4th, 2006
61
favorite cult movies
by peapod | Jun 14th, 2005
no new posts