Mormonism: Cult or Religion?


SLM
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Sounds like you are a multiple personality.

Or just confused.
 
Spade
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

A cult is the church down the street from your own.

Superb!
 
Cliffy
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Or just confused.

Oh, I don't think he is confused. Those who have given him those labels are the ones who are confused.

I like to confuse. I tell people I am either a spiritual anarchist or a born again pagan. Not too many people can come up with an intelligent response.
 
gerryh
+1
#34
defining something as a cult or religion allows the small minded to decide from which angle to attack.
 
Cliffy
#35
I find the attack on atheists by the religious just as closed minded.
 
gerryh
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I find the attack on atheists by the religious just as closed minded.


did I say anything about atheists?
 
Niflmir
+1
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I find the attack on atheists by the religious just as closed minded.

I find the attack on Christmas trees by anybody to be close minded.

There is nothing religious about a Christmas tree. Yet, some places won't display them out of some misguided religious tolerance.
 
SLM
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Oh, I don't think he is confused. Those who have given him those labels are the ones who are confused.

Yeah, I didn't put that much thought into it. Just seemed like a semi-appropriate response to the multiple personality quip. Think of it as 'smart-*** lite'.

Quote:

I like to confuse. I tell people I am either a spiritual anarchist or a born again pagan. Not too many people can come up with an intelligent response.

Either way you're a rebel.
 
Cliffy
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Yeah, I didn't put that much thought into it. Just seemed like a semi-appropriate response to the multiple personality quip. Think of it as 'smart-*** lite'.



Either way you're a rebel.

Been one all my life - rebel without a pause.
 
SLM
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Been one ll my life - rebel without a pause.

Now that's commitment!
 
Cliffy
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

did I say anything about atheists?

I wasn't referring to you, just the similarity of mentality between two groups of opponents.
 
Spade
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

I find the attack on Christmas trees by anybody to be close minded.

There is nothing religious about a Christmas tree. Yet, some places won't display them out of some misguided religious tolerance.

Are not Christmas trees in the home examples of Wish Trees?. Gods and spirits dwell within.
Wish Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)
 
gerryh
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I wasn't referring to you, just the similarity of mentality between two groups of opponents.


and my comment didn't pick out any particular group. It applied equally to athiest, christian, or what ever.
 
Dexter Sinister
#44
A brief inspection of several dictionaries suggests the only real difference between a religion and a cult is that the latter generally has a relatively small membership and hasn't much formal organizational structure, but exactly where the dividing line might be is far from clear. Christianity began as a messianic, apocalyptic cult of Judaism, but transcended that long ago. Cult also usually carries a pejorative implication that religion doesn't; to label something a cult is to dismiss it as false, which Mormonism certainly is, but it's fairly large and pretty well organized, I think it deserves to be called a religion.
 
gerryh
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Are not Christmas trees in the home examples of Wish Trees?. Gods and spirits dwell within.
Wish Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)


Maybe your Christmas tree is a wish tree, but mine is a Christmas tree. One we decorate and place presents under. If you want to make a comparison, you go right ahead, just doesn't make it a fact or true.
 
Spade
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Maybe your Christmas tree is a wish tree, but mine is a Christmas tree. One we decorate and place presents under. If you want to make a comparison, you go right ahead, just doesn't make it a fact or true.

Gerry, tongue in cheek.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+4
#47  Top Rated Post
There are a lot of things in religion that I just don't subscribe to. But some of the defining people in my life shared a faith in a higher power and it was the basis of that faith or believe system on which they became the people they are and were. When my Mother passed away quite suddenly I was devastated and when I turned to a dear friend who just happened to be an Anglican Padre I was helped through this difficult time. Not by him pontificating from the pulpit, but by using his understanding and ability to offer comfort.

Believe what you want.
 
Spade
+2
#48
Many priests, ministers, rabbis, etc. are altruists by nature. This world needs more altruism and less sefishness.
 
gerryh
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post


Believe what you want.


That would be nice, unfortunately, we have too many from both sides that won't allow that.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

That would be nice, unfortunately, we have too many from both sides that won't allow that.

Russell Peters - Gay Indians - YouTube

 
gopher
#51
500K in Scientology? Not really - that's just a number they give in order to '' legitimate '' themselves.
 
In Between Man
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

This guy is talking about Alley. Talk about being lead down the garden path. Sad.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Alley needs serious deprogramming. You have any holy water and exorcism manuals?

The only thing that can "deprogram" a mind from a false philosophy or religion is a realization of the truth my friends. You two haven't been "lead down a garden path" but have been out right ensnared into a trap, and you don't realize the severity of your situation.

You don't poison a dog with a spoonful of poison. You take the biggest, juiciest piece of meat and you inject it with the poison. The dog comes and smells the blood, he smells that steak and he devours it without any notion that there was anything in there that would kill him. He walks away satisfied thinking he just had a great meal only to find out that his life will be taken from him.

You two are enjoying your steaks and the devil is laughing at you.
 
Cliffy
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

The only thing that can "deprogram" a mind from a false philosophy or religion is a realization of the truth my friends. You two haven't been "lead down a garden path" but have been out right ensnared into a trap, and you don't realize the severity of your situation.

You don't poison a dog with a spoonful of poison. You take the biggest, juiciest piece of meat and you inject it with the poison. The dog comes and smells the blood, he smells that steak and he devours it without any notion that there was anything in there that would kill him. He walks away satisfied thinking he just had a great meal only to find out that his life will be taken from him.

You two are enjoying your steaks and the devil is laughing at you.



Hehehehe!
 
bill barilko
+1
#54
The place with the Biggest Doses of Poison is the South Pacific and the Poorer the Country the Better.

Whole countries are lousy with Xtian bullsh!t and creepy slimy missionary types infest the place-all looking to steal souls from each other.

Mormons build spotless basketball courts attached to all their churches & schools but native never use them since they prefer to be fat/lazy and well South Pacifican-it's hilarious really.

Oh Yeah-according to Mormons god lives on a nearby planet called Kolob-the things a person learns from cab drivers!
 
Spade
#55
Gawd is busy confusing the hell out of us dumb bastards, here and in the South Pacific.
 
Spade
#56
A new day dawns...

I suspect this thread arose because of the internecine religious bickering over Romney's quest for the Republican gold ring. Well, this got me thinking. Are there not Catholics and Evangelicals in the same race? Now, I know that Catholics, the Orthodox, Anglicans, and Copts are Christians. After all, even though they may not have been around for two millennia (Sorry Henry VIII), at least their theology has. And, that theology owes a debt of gratitude to Saul of Tarsus and his interpretation of Yeshua the Nazarene, the Church fathers in the Fourth Century in Nicaea, Constantine, other mystery religions, and so on.

These Christian churches deem heretical (or at best extremely doubtful) such notions as:
* Born againess
* The Rapture
* Armageddon
* Prophetic musings about Israel
* End time conjectures
* Justification by Faith alone, and so on and so forth.

So, my question is:

Are Born-Again Evangelicals Promoting End-Time Theology, Rapture, and Armageddon Christians?

I would like to know before November.
 
Goober
+1
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Gawd is busy confusing the hell out of us dumb bastards, here and in the South Pacific.

Nope - Not Gawds doing, the confusing that is. Why would he jump into a mess that we do so well at.
Even from On High he ain't Steppin Low. No way in Hell would he do that, and I am not trying to confuse things by bringing one of his relatves into this.
 
Spade
#58
You may be right. Gawd is busy deciding who will win the Stanley Cup or the Super Bowl.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#59
Religion = cultism.

from Dictionary.com - "cult   [kuhlt] Show IPA
noun
1.
a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2.
an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3.
the object of such devotion.
4.
a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5.
Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols."

and

"re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
noun
1.
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith."
 
Spade
#60
Well done! Now my question...
 

Similar Threads

98
The Conspiracy Cult
by Tony The Bot | Aug 17th, 2011
6
AGW is a cult
by Walter | Jan 4th, 2008
17
The Cult of 9/11
by JBeee | Aug 22nd, 2007
1
The latest cult classic
by Canucklehead | May 4th, 2006
61
favorite cult movies
by peapod | Jun 14th, 2005
no new posts