Severely injured Mountie

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Severely injured Mountie claims colleagues Severely injured Mountie claims colleagues ‘conspired to shock’ with explosive doll

An RCMP officer has filed a lawsuit against two fellow officers in the bomb squad unit, the RCMP and the province of B.C. after a mechanical doll he kept at his desk was rigged to explode, which disfigured him to the point of requiring hand surgery and hearing aids in both ears.

Cpl. Tyrone Hempston suffered “severe injuries” after returning from Christmas holidays to his desk at the Explosive Disposal Unit in Delta on Jan. 4, 2010, where he noticed someone had tampered with his “Dirty Bertie” mechanical doll.

“He sat down and picked up the doll, held it in both hands close to his lap, then switched it on and it exploded in his hands,” according to the writ filed in Vancouver Supreme Court of B.C.

The writ claims unspecified damages for physical injuries and nerve damage to his hands that have required “numerous surgeries,” hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears, chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, sleeping and anxiety disorders and “nervous shock, anguish and loss of faith in his colleagues.”

Hempston’s lawsuit alleges Cpl. Nigel Blake and Const. Martin Simpson “conspired to shock” him by placing a “high explosive” SD-100 detonator that had been confiscated from a U.S. film company trying to bring them into Canada and turned over to the EDU for disposal.

“Both the defendants Blake and Simpson knew or ought to have known . . . a SD-100 . . . (is) a dangerous explosive that should not be used for recreation and that their actions were in violation of the unit’s zero horseplay policy,” the writ stated.

It alleged they showed “reckless disregard for the probability that the explosive in the doll would detonate in the plaintiff’s hand.”

Hempston, 44, was off work for several months over the past two years and and continues therapy for PTSD, taking anti-depressants and massage and physiotherapy and may require further surgery and can no longer type or write for long, the writ said.

Hempston would have been eligible for full retirement in September 2011. He is also suing for lost past and future wages.

None of the allegations have been proved in court and the defendants have three weeks after being served to file a response.

The lawsuit includes the federal attorney general, which is responsible for the RCMP, and the provincial solicitor general under which the RCMP is contracted to the province.

This amazing bit of stupidity has been quietly swept under the rug for two years.and has gotten very little media coverage

But the RCMP received their new 20 year contract in British Columbia.....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Pot calling the kettle black.

any idea if the 2 brainless wonders are still on the force? Are they still members of the bomb squad? I sure as hell hope not because that is one hell of a scary thought.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Terrorists!

You can be assured, that if either of these morons had been Muslim, they would have found their asses in some deep hole. Since they are not, I'm sure they are still on the public payroll.

stusa

Apr 19, 2006
Pot calling the kettle black.

How do you expect the regular RCMP to care anymore while one of their members disgrace the traditional uniform by wearing turbans? And they get dumped on no matter what they do

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
It always amazes me,that the people who post police misconduct , are classified as morons and cop haters.........

This is not a stupid stunt. it was a criminal act..........I would hate to see the repercussions for anyone else who planted a explosive device causing bodily harm..............and only the RCMP would get away with covering it up for over two years,,,,,,,

It is the people, who believe these actions are just silly jokes and stunts and ignore misconduct..........who are the true morons

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Pretty stupid stunt. Fodder for the morons and cop haters.

...and for those with common sense that would like to see the standards for our police departments raised. It's funny how some morons have a problem with that.

It is the people, who believe these actions are just silly jokes and stunts and ignore misconduct..........who are the true morons

I believe many of these people have uniform fetishes. You may have noticed that many of the police supporters on this forum are ex-miltary. Says something don't you think?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It always amazes me,that the people who post police misconduct , are classified as morons and cop haters.........

This is not a stupid stunt. it was a criminal act..........I would hate to see the repercussions for anyone else who planted a explosive device causing bodily harm..............and only the RCMP would get away with covering it up for over two years,,,,,,,

The act its self was more of a stupid stunt gone wrong. What is truly criminal is that it was covered up for so long. Now if they had used say a firecracker it would not have been near as dangerous and more or less funny. However anyone on the bomb squad should know that an initiator is far tool powerfull for what they were planning. And that is why horseplay is forbidden on the job.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
I agree with you,the explosive device that they used was confiscated I believe from the movie set......and was supposed to be destroyed.

Not to be kept as a souvenir or a toy to be used later