Arbitration - 8 fired for Illegal Drug use rehired at Ont Nuke Plants -


earth_as_one
#31
I see drug use on the job as a safety issue. If these people were impaired on the job, then they should be fired. But if this is about an activity in their personal life which didn't affect workplace safety, then they should not be fired.

Consider if these people have been treated differently if they were referring to alcohol or many prescription drugs which are legal and also impair judgement.

Should people be fired for using employer equipment for personal business?
Last edited by earth_as_one; Dec 30th, 2011 at 09:20 AM..
 
SLM
+1
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Oh hell, just dump it in the caves at Kelso.

There we go, problem solved!
 
petros
+1
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'm glad they are all back east. None in BC. Although some not too far away in the US. I guess there is no way to escape that insanity.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Their safety record is probably better than the average knitting factory!

Don't worry. There is enough nukes in Puget Sound guarded by 18-21 years olds to blow both of you clean off the map and still make my life miserable for a few years.
 
taxslave
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Most of the recovery boilers I've worked on are about 50 to 100 ft square, by 8 or 9 stories high.

I would have to guess that you are referring to the steam drum, or one of the related exchangers.

This is in a pulp mill. Can't recall exactly where in the process but it has to do with recovering either black or white liquor. As I recall they are only about 20 ft long and full of tubes. The only one I was ever in was in the Kraft mill at Powell River and that was almost 40 years ago.

Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

They weren't caught smoking dope on the job just talking about smoking dope.

The original story I heard was that they were smoking pot on the job. Got a link to the right story by any chance?
 
TenPenny
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

This is in a pulp mill. Can't recall exactly where in the process but it has to do with recovering either black or white liquor. As I recall they are only about 20 ft long and full of tubes. The only one I was ever in was in the Kraft mill at Powell River and that was almost 40 years ago.

Every recovery boiler is in a kraft mill, that's part of the kraft process.

As noted above, you're probably referring to the mud drum, which would be part of the boiler, but not the boiler itself.
 
CDNBear
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

The original story I heard was that they were smoking pot on the job. Got a link to the right story by any chance?

Quote:

The Nov. 18 dismissals followed a lengthy investigation into allegations of drug activity at the Pickering and Darlington nuclear stations. Durham police were contacted after the allegations arose in August, but there was insufficient evidence to support criminal charges, the company said.

DurhamRegion Article: Durham OPG workers fired after drug probe get jobs back (external - login to view)

Bill has a track record of having difficulty with facts.

Something tells me the 8 were just chattering on company computers and time, about pot. While three were actually partaking on company time.

With the publication ban, it's impossible to know for sure.
 
BruSan
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

DurhamRegion Article: Durham OPG workers fired after drug probe get jobs back (external - login to view)

Bill has a track record of having difficulty with facts.

Something tells me the 8 were just chattering on company computers and time, about pot. While three were actually partaking on company time.

With the publication ban, it's impossible to know for sure.

Bingo! While the Chatty-Kathies were stupidly using company computers to exercise their 'bragadoccio muscle', any lawyer worth his salt is gonna ask the company "do you have any proof of useage other than their bragging in emails to each other?" Ooopsy! Anyone can make any claim in an email; stupid or otherwise.

It is actual lawyers that square off across arbitration tables; not your shop floor stewards with grade 10.
 
bill barilko
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Something tells me the 8 were just chattering on company computers and time, about pot. While three were actually partaking on company time.With the publication ban, it's impossible to know for sure.

Innocent until proved guilty-imagine that!
 
CDNBear
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Innocent until proved guilty-imagine that!

Imagine that, you ignored where you were corrected.
 
petros
+2
#40
I was just holding the email for a friend.
 

Similar Threads

94
Put an end to illegal drug use?
by JLM | Jun 2nd, 2010
no new posts