Alberta sees oilsands tours as a way to educate international community

Johnnny
In the opinion of this poster, im sure more of the people coming to tour our Oilsands are just rich tycoons from other countries looking for their way to cash in on what we have in the ground here...

Alberta sees oilsands tours as a way to educate international community (external - login to view)

Quote:

EDMONTON - The Alberta government offered a record number of oilsands tours to U.S. politicians, foreign diplomats, international reporters and others in 2011 to help curtail growing criticism.
“Oilsands tours over the past couple of years have sharply picked up,” government spokesman David Sands said Wednesday, pointing to 41 oilsands site visits officially hosted by the provincial government this year and an additional 23 to which the government contributed.
In the face of international criticism, the provincial government has often suggested people come north to see bitumen production for themselves, including tailings ponds and site rehabilitation.
Sands did not have comparable numbers available on visits to the Fort McMurray area in 2010.
But as debate grew louder in connection to the proposed Keystone XL pipeline expansion and European legislators considered a ban on fuel from the oilsands, Sands said Alberta’s invitation seemed to have more takers in 2011. In past years, the province had wrapped up all its tours by September. This year, they continued through December.
“It is our most effective tool for communicating on oilsands issues ... because you bring people up and let them see it for themselves,” he said Wednesday. “You realize the iconic image around the anti-oilsands movement, if you will, is simply a picture of an open-pit mine and how ugly that is. The only way to give people context for that picture they see is to...

Quote has been trimmed

mentalfloss
+1
Save yourself the trip and watch Petropolis instead.

Petropolis Trailer HD - YouTube (external - login to view)

Durry
That's a Green Peace perspective.
Hardly objective or balanced.

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Doesn't matter Durry.. When you've already made up your mind in the absence of the relevant info, there is nothing that can change that decision.

mentalfloss
+1

Yea, greenpeace reaches PETA stupidity for me on some projects, but that documentary was an eye-opener. No commentary, just visuals, so it's really up to your own interpretation.

Durry
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
What Green Peace shows is a mining operation in progress. Most mining operations do not look pretty during its operation.
What Green Peace does not show is the reclamation that happens after the oil is extracted. So the public has to be education in some form that a work in progress is not always pretty but the end result is that all this land area is reclaimed and often made better and more productive for nature than it was before it was mined.

mentalfloss
+1

What Green Peace does not show is the reclamation that happens after the oil is extracted. So the public has to be education in some form that a work in progress is not always pretty but the end result is that all this land area is reclaimed and often made better and more productive for nature than it was before it was mined.

Reclamation rates are very poor. I have a few friends out in Calgary that have seen it up close and most of the land is scorched with very little actually reclaimed.

Edit.. Yea, here's a better depiction of what's actually reclaimed. Keep in mind that "cleared" land is wiped of all vegetation. "Disturbed" land (lol) is land that is currently in production.

Durry
+1
Reclamation work is pretty good. Recently reclamied land does not look as good as older reclamied land. That's because nature has had a chance to work and do its thing.
There is more emphasis on reclamation now than there was 5 or 10 yrs ago. Progress sometimes takes time..

petros
+1
Soil Sciences have made leaps and bounds in the past ten years. Land may looked reclaimed by planting trees but it's complete return to true forest requires ways to expedite soil restoration.

taxslave
+2

We've put up with 20 years of greenpeace BS about clearcut logging. Lies and half truths are better for getting donations from the gullible citiots than the truth. The anti fishfarm crowd work the same way.

Johnnny
Word of the day, "Citiot"......

Cliffy
+1
I'm not a citiot. I have lived in the forest for decades. I know a forest when I see one and tree farms are not forests. They are orchards without fruit. Clearcuts are a testament to the monumental stupidity of greed and ignorance. There is nothing scientific about it. It is all about expediency and the greatest profit possible from the least amount of work. It takes hundreds of years to grow a natural forest and only a few decades to grow a tree farm. Tree farms lack the biodiversity of a natural forest.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I'm not a citiot. I have lived in the forest for decades. I know a forest when I see one and tree farms are not forests. They are orchards without fruit. Clearcuts are a testament to the monumental stupidity of greed and ignorance. There is nothing scientific about it. It is all about expediency and the greatest profit possible from the least amount of work. It takes hundreds of years to grow a natural forest and only a few decades to grow a tree farm. Tree farms lack the biodiversity of a natural forest.

Well put!

petros
The BC clear cuts don't even come close to what was/is being clear cut in AB/SK/MB for farm land over the past 120+ years. Ya'll gotta eat.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Bull****

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The BC clear cuts don't even come close to what was/is being clear cut in AB/SK/MB for farm land over the past 120+ years. Ya'll gotta eat.

The problem is, clearcuts are unsustainable. BC logging is done in mountainous areas that are unsuitable for any kind of agriculture other than tree farms. Up until the 60s, logging was done selectively. That was sustainable, then clercutting came in and then heavy machinery replaced men on the ground. When I came here in 72 there were three times more people working in the industry and 1/3rd the trees being cut. Everybody made money, now nobody does. There are very few areas where logging is economical because all that is left is too steep. The province was raped and pillaged to the point where the industry has died and loggers are blaming environmentalists instead of their own greed and malice. Loggers have no one to blame but themselves and the stupidity of the timber industry that closes mills and sends raw logs out of country.

petros
Have you seen how the new houses are are all sheated with OSB?

Cliffy

Have you seen how the new houses are are all sheated with OSB?

That's because most of the trees being cut are too small for even 2X4s. They just lathe them into shavings for OSB. I've seen truck loads of pecker poles they would have trouble getting one 8 foot 2X4 out of.

petros
Nah OSB it's poplar/aspen from SK. It has better anti rot properties than cedar.

Johnnny

Nah OSB it's poplar/aspen from SK. It has better anti rot properties than cedar.

Really? I want you to share what you know, please.

Cliffy

There is an OSB plant in Quesnel. They use mill waste as far as I know. They only mill softwood.

Durry

I don't think people from Sask know what cedar is..

no new posts