Goalkeeper kicks drunken yob that attacked him...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
...then gets red-carded...team walks off field in protest.

AFC Ajax Vs AZ Alkmaar - Esteban Alvarado Brown gets attacked fan - Game Abandoned - YouTube

Many of the vids are getting deleted so you may have to source them out for yourself. Full version is best.

The poop:

A Dutch football match ended in farce after one of the teams walked off the pitch in protest at having their goalkeeper sent off - for fighting with a fan.

A drunk hooligan ran on to the field to attack AZ Alkmaar's No.1 during the first half of their Cup match with former European champions Ajax at the Amsterdam Arena last night.

But Costa Rican Esteban Alvarado showed all his agility as he launched a kung fu kick at the teenage thug, sending him crashing to the floor.

The Alkmaar keeper then landed a couple of kicks at the prostrate fan before security guards dragged the invader away.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The keeper shouldn't have been red-carded for defending himself, and the security people should be ashamed (I guess they are, they apologized for letting someone already banned from the stadium get on the field).

Quite a spectacular kick, though. I bet that hurt a LOT.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I agree. Imagine someone walking into your work place and interferring with your job while you are
trying to work, no different, that is his job, and he has the right to defend himself and his workplace
from wackos trying to cause problems there.

Carding him was ridiculous, and sends the wrong message to the next idiot who thinks about running on the
field to do the same, 'they will' because the player can be penalized, and not him.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The match was abandoned and will be re-played behind closed doors.

And Manchester United play Ajax in the Last 32 of the Europa League in the new year.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think the red card was warranted, its one thing to defend yourself, another to kick someone when he is on the ground and not an immediate threat. The goal tender simply should have moved off and let security handled it. And AZ Alkamaar should have forfeited the game for walking off, rather than having it replayed.

That would have happened in any other sport, and the goal tender and the coach would have faced a further suspension and fine, except in European soccer.. which really doesn't support its officials or the integrity of the game.

Fifa, EUFA, the national associations are run by these puffed up political buffoons, who compromise on everything to hold onto the support of the factions that keep them in office and in the lap of the flattery they crave.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think the red card was warranted, its one thing to defend yourself, another to kick someone when he is on the ground and not an immediate threat. The goal tender simply should have moved off and let security handled it. And AZ Alkamaar should have forfeited the game for walking off, rather than having it replayed.

That would have happened in any other sport, and the goal tender and the coach would have faced a further suspension and fine, except in European soccer.. which really doesn't support its officials or the integrity of the game. Fifa, EUFA,, the national associations are run by these puffed up political buffoons, who compromise on everything to hold onto the support of the factions that keep them in office and in the lap of the flattery they crave.

Who's to say that the drunk didn't have a weapon? It's not like fans haven't attacked players with weapons before(Monica Seles, the first base coach of a MLB team who was attacked by a father/son team of doorknobs, etc.) . I'm not saying that the extra kicks were warranted, but with the adrenaline pumping, the keeper may not have been thinking clearly. I don't agree with the red card. It's not like the drunk was an opposing player.

And if the keeper is sanctioned/fined/suspended, what's to stop a fan of an opposing team to attempt something like this the next time just to get the keeper tossed and perhaps the team given a loss. Idiots (drunk or otherwise) that attempt to attack players deserve to get their bell rung. I recall an incident a few years ago where a fan ran out onto the field during an NFL game. The guy hit the one player in the back of his helmet(not sure what he was thinking, as it's not like it would do any damage except to his hand). The player turned around, punched the guy in the head, and the guy fell to the ground. Then four or five players piled on top of him. After regaining conciousness, I wonder if he thought it was worth it.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Who's to say that the drunk didn't have a weapon?

And if the keeper is sanctioned/fined/suspended, what's to stop a fan of an opposing team to attempt something like this the next time just to get the keeper tossed and perhaps the team given a loss.

The guy was falling down drunk, had nothing in his hands.. and if he had the goaltender likely would have ratcheted up the incident and could have been seriously hurt. The infraction came not with defending himself, by tripping him up.. but with escalating the incident afterward. It could have started a riot.

And basically that's what fines and suspensions do, force players to take a cool and sober reflection of aggressive acts, even in the heat of battle.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The guy was falling down drunk, had nothing in his hands.. and if he had the goaltender likely would have ratcheted up the incident and could have been seriously hurt. The infraction came not with defending himself, by tripping him up.. but with escalating the incident afterward. It could have started a riot.

And basically that's what fines and suspensions do, force players to take a cool and sober reflection of aggressive acts, even in the heat of battle.

How many times have you read an article in the paper where a drunk person gets into a fight outside a bar(or other establishment) and ends up stabbing someone? I've read it on more than one occasion. And there could be a knife or anything in his pocket that he could use as a weapon. Who knows?

And obviously the governing body disagreed with the ref, as they reversed his decision. And a player, or anyone else in a similar situation, is not going to cool or sober when getting attacked. They are going to defend themselves, and it's not like a lightswitch. You can't just turn off the adrenaline immediately.