Seniors don't want to give up money for younger gen: poll


JLM
+3
#151
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Your generation needs to stop looking at other generations for excuses for their own failures. Grow the **** up.

Pretty tough with the mentality of a four year old and an I.Q. of 4!
 
TenPenny
#152
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I think we can all agree on the standard that someone should be able to afford a reasonable dwelling and retirement.

There are plenty of apartments available at decent rates.
 
JLM
#153
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

There are plenty of apartments available at decent rates.

With lots of problems inherant with apartment living. Like what do you do when your roof starts to leak? What do you do about your noisy neighbour next door. Apartments aren't for everyone.
 
Cliffy
+1
#154
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

For the montly bill to smoke cigarettes you can buy a house. It may not be a palace but you can still buy a house.

And, for a lot less you can build one.
 
TenPenny
#155
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

With lots of problems inherant with apartment living. Like what do you do when your roof starts to leak? What do you do about your noisy neighbour next door. Apartments aren't for everyone.

Are you saying that every retired person should have enough income from OAS to pay for a house?
 
JLM
#156
There are a lot of aspects of life that apartments don't address- outdoor activities, gardening, ample parking for friends and relatives, R.V.s boats etc., privacy. They are simply not adequate for many people.
 
Spade
#157
May I take a contrary opinion?
When I croak (may the gods preserve me), I will have no difficulty giving my money to the younger generation. To be honest, I have problems with old Bay and Wall Street wankers taking it now.
 
JLM
+1
#158
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Are you saying that every retired person should have enough income from OAS to pay for a house?

No, I don't believe I said that, but by the same token I don't have any problem with a retired person owning a house that they bought during their working days. (What I have the biggest problem with is one poster's incessant yapping, whining and snivelling about the position that seniors have arrived at through planning and hard work, depriving him of whatever he thinks he's being deprived of because he lacks the balls to go after it)
 
Goober
+3
#159
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Actually, it's not that either.

I tkink you should have your wife authorize posts.
 
DaSleeper
#160
JLM, Goober; You realise, of course, that you are being "trolled" by the usual suspects in this thread....don't you??
In any case...it's somewhat hmmm, interesting to watch their spin....
 
TenPenny
#161
Quote:

I think we can all agree on the standard that someone should be able to afford a reasonable dwelling and retirement.



I see that now some people believe that a 'reasonable dwelling' seems to preclude an apartment, so let's figure out what 'a reasonable dwelling' is, so that we can figure out what seniors should be given by the government.
 
JLM
#162
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

JLM, Goober; You realise, of course, that you are being "trolled" by the usual suspects in this thread....don't you??
In any case...it's somewhat hmmm, interesting to watch their spin....

Trolling can be great fun, especially when you are well armed with valid data and given the predictable "suckers" that take the hook!

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#1e68a3][B]

I see that now some people believe that a 'reasonable dwelling' seems to preclude an apartment, so let's figure out what 'a reasonable dwelling' is, so that we can figure out what seniors should be given by the government.
[/INDENT]

Not always, depends on your lifestyle also whether you own or rent the apartment, the type of people living in the adjacent apartment and the condition of the apartment. It could be perfect for say a lady in her 80s who enjoys knitting and playing bridge or whist with her neighbours.
 
BruSan
#163
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Nonsense. My parents have downsized twice since the kids started moving out and the houses kept getting more expensive as the houses got smaller. The real reason for dramatic increase in prices has to do with the changes in mortgage qualification. At one time you needed 25% down and could only get a twenty five year amortization. The changes to those rules meant more people qualified. More buyers meant more demand. Couple that with more and more professional developers and less and less municipal development.

Strange isn't it? Your parents downsized twice but the costs of the houses went up. Gee, I don't get it no other generation has ever been faced with that conundrum before. What a Maroon!

Someone should have mentioned that little canard to them "if you want to realize the equity gains on any domestic real-estate investment you need to move to an area with cheaper houses or just not buy another one". that's pretty well been the norm for principal dwelling equity gains for the last hundred years or so.

I was making my major purchases when both cost of living and mortgage rates were in the double digits and soldiered on regardless without blaming my "gramps".

Virtually every lecture or trades exposition I ever attended, startiung in the mid 60's, spouting the benefits of technology also presented the caveat it would come with a price; that of a flexible world market-place where you would have to compete with other's all over the planet for your daily bread, yet your generation embraced the changes with gusto; weren't you listening to the downside part of the show?

What is it with you and yours? The world changed while you were watching. It didn't sneak off while you were asleep and re-invent itself into a "let's get Cannuck and his ilk" quagmire. You were warned through many clues that you weren't going to have it any easier than we did but still insist on finding a scapegoat for yours or others of your generation's lack of personal responsibility.

How "sucky" is that? Kenny took his ball home with him, now we can't play anymore. Perhaps next time you wish to enjoy the game without risk, you bring your own ball; howsat work for ya?
 
JLM
#164
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

Strange isn't it? Your parents downsized twice but the costs of the houses went up. Gee, I don't get it no other generation has ever been faced with that conundrum before. What a Maroon!

Yeah, there's one or two minutes details the Maroon doesn't savvy. The seniors generation often encountered mortgage rates of 18-20% while the Maroon"s generation is suffering with 3 or 4%.
 
Cannuck
+1
#165
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Your generation needs to stop looking at other generations for excuses for their own failures. Grow the **** up.

I guess that is a major point at where we disagree. I don't see many failures in my generation or the twenty somethings, at least not in comparison to the seniors. I think my generation is a rousing success and judging from my daughter and her friends, I see a lot of positives coming behind me. That's really what separates us. You like to push others down in a feeble attempt to lift yourselves up whereas I am sticking to the facts of the matter. Your success or failures as a group have not affected me to any great extent. Sure, one could argue that the debt load you shoveled onto successive generations because of your extravagant spending "affects" me but the reality is that I'm doing fine.

You will notice that in over 160 posts, not one senior has bothered to point out exactly how they have benefited those coming behind them yet they love to call them ingrates. On the other hand, I can provide ample evidence of seniors benefiting from the generosity of others. One example would be how society subsidizes seniors through seniors discounts. Our local grocery store offers 10% discounts to seniors. Of course, the grocery store owner doesn't pay this out of his own pocket. He raises the prices for everybody else in order to compensate. So, the twenty and forty somethings you like to call ingrates are paying extra for food so you can eat cheaper. Rather than call them ingrates, perhaps you should thank them for their generosity. That is, after all, what somebody that isn't an ingrate would do.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

There are a lot of aspects of life that apartments don't address- outdoor activities, gardening, ample parking for friends and relatives, R.V.s boats etc., privacy. They are simply not adequate for many people.

They are adequate for most twenty somethings. Mind you, they don't have the high standards or expectations that you do. Not surprising given that they are paying their own way as well as for people like you.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

JLM, Goober; You realise, of course, that you are being "trolled" by the usual suspects in this thread.

The only ones trolling on this thread are the seniors that haven't bothered to come up with anything substantial to back up their claims that they are better than other generations when the facts clearly suggest they are not.
 
darkbeaver
#166
The thieving bankers love intergenerational contention. So the young must take from the old and the old have to take from the young while the ****ing bankers take from everybody including the dead.
 
BruSan
+1
#167
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I understand that.

But with rising housing costs and stall in salaries, most Canadians will barely be able to afford a mortgage on "one house", regardless of what amenities it has.

That very conundrum has been faced by many a generation in the past. Nothing new here! There have been many cycles in the economy and not all of them have proven favourable to following generations of young.

My father bought his first new car and paid about a years salary for it; different today? Sure it might be, as there are certainly a broader spectrum of vehicles available but he was buying a Chevy BelAire not a Cadillac. These idiots today WON'T drive anything someone else previously owned from the very outset. Prideful little chits without the bankbook to back it up. It's all about choices!

Credit cards; I'd bet the average number of cards these little pretenders have in their wallets number over two at the least, whysat? Stupid idiots buy everything on credit to gain points or airmiles without realizing what that is costing them in interst and card fees but gotta have'em. Get pissed every time I have to stand in line behind one of these priviledged little cretins while they pay for a chocolat bar with a credit card fer crissake! It's all about choices!

Housing; uuufdah, no apartments for these folk. They gotta walk right out of mommy's basement into a bungalow.

Apartments don't lend themselves to the collection of toys they've bought on time with those stupid credit cards either. Inner-city brats with the latest thing in pick-up trucks that they've totally destroyed the ratings and safety of by jacking the thing to the rafters so they can tow their little bling accessories like ATV's, seadoos or rv trailers to the lake for the weekends activities paid for on one of those credit cards.

Have I said "It's all about choices"? They have chosen badly and will deflect by blaming others, it's what they do.
 
CDNBear
+4
#168
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I am seventy two years old. That means I have been a senior for about seven years.
Over the years I've heard people complain that seniors should retire so that younger
Canadians could have the jobs, and that seniors working past sixty five are just selfish
bastards.
My wife and I went without things so we could save for our retirement. We educated
our children. Both my wife and I come from large families so we didn't inherit the
family home, but our kids will.
If anyone wants me to feel guilty about what I've worked hard for, they should take note of
the mistletoe on my coat tails.

Well said juan!

You will note, it's only the lazy, whining about what you worked hard for.

Not really surprising.
 
JLM
+2
#169
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post



They are adequate for most twenty somethings. Mind you, they don't have the high standards or expectations that you do. Not surprising given that they are paying their own way as well as for people like you.



The only ones trolling on this thread are the seniors that haven't bothered to come up with anything substantial to back up their claims that they are better than other generations when the facts clearly suggest they are not.

I've been checking my mail every day and have yet to find any cheques from these 20 somethings you claim are supporting me. The deposits to my bank account are all proceeds of what I provided for. Maybe someone should yank the silver spoon out of your yapper and shove it where the sun don't shine!
 
DaSleeper
+3
#170
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post



The only ones trolling on this thread are the seniors that haven't bothered to come up with anything substantial to back up their claims that they are better than other generations when the facts clearly suggest they are not.

That's bullshyte and you know it....I bought my first "New" car, I was 40 years old, bought my house when I was 45. And most of the older people in this forum did similar...
And that's when I started planning for retirement... When I got to be 58 some good investments paid off and I decided to retire there and then instead of waiting for 65.. #1 because after figuring everything out, since my net income upon retirement would be slightly more than half my working income...it meant that I was working for half wages...# 2 someone else would inherit a job for those 7 years.
Next I paid into OAS and CPP during the 40 years that I worked so it is not an entitlement but a pay back... Unemployment insurance, I collected a grand total of 5 days during my lifetime....so don't try any of that guilt friggin trip on me It doesn't work

The problem with the so called modern generation is that they expect now what most of us worked years to acquire.
If you think you're fooling anyone with your bullshyte and trolling..you gotta be suffering permanent delusion....or you're the local vilage idiot
End of story!!!
 
CDNBear
+2
#171
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

You like to push others down in a feeble attempt to lift yourselves up whereas I am sticking to the facts of the matter.

Quote:

You will notice that in over 160 posts, not one senior has bothered to point out exactly how they have benefited those coming behind them yet they love to call them ingrates.

Quote:

The only ones trolling on this thread are the seniors that haven't bothered to come up with anything substantial to back up their claims



You just have to love the logic of a hypocrite.
 
JLM
#172
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

Housing; uuufdah, no apartments for these folk. They gotta walk right out of mommy's basement into a bungalow.

Apartments don't lend themselves to the collection of toys they've bought on time with those stupid credit cards either. Inner-city brats with the latest thing in pick-up trucks that they've totally destroyed the ratings and safety of by jacking the thing to the rafters so they can tow their little bling accessories like ATV's, seadoos or rv trailers to the lake for the weekends activities paid for on one of those credit cards.

Have I said "It's all about choices"? They have chosen badly and will deflect by blaming others, it's what they do.

Beautiful
 
BruSan
+3
#173
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I guess that is a major point at where we disagree. I don't see many failures in my generation or the twenty somethings, at least not in comparison to the seniors. I think my generation is a rousing success and judging from my daughter and her friends, I see a lot of positives coming behind me. That's really what separates us. You like to push others down in a feeble attempt to lift yourselves up whereas I am sticking to the facts of the matter. Your success or failures as a group have not affected me to any great extent. Sure, one could argue that the debt load you shoveled onto successive generations because of your extravagant spending "affects" me but the reality is that I'm doing fine.
You ain't looking hard enough sunshine; it ain't the seniors in the majority lined up outside the soup kitchens or sleeping under overpasses or attending OWS debacles.
You will notice that in over 160 posts, not one senior has bothered to point out exactly how they have benefited those coming behind them yet they love to call them ingrates. On the other hand, I can provide ample evidence of seniors benefiting from the generosity of others. One example would be how society subsidizes seniors through seniors discounts. Our local grocery store offers 10% discounts to seniors. Of course, the grocery store owner doesn't pay this out of his own pocket. He raises the prices for everybody else in order to compensate. So, the twenty and forty somethings you like...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Sorry; but you've described "lurkers" not "trollers" as trollers actually have to have their hook in the water, doofus. Can't blame 'em for lurking as most of us learned a long time ago; exchanging dialogue with your ilk is nigh impossible with the "I know's" reigning supreme. And till you're tested to the same degree as our generation there's no facts available yet to scrutinize. You'll just have to wait till you're old enough to be called a senior to see if your little group measures up won't you?

Exceedingly happy I won't be here to witness that clutershuck!
 
JLM
+1
#174
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post



You just have to love the logic of a hypocrite.

Maybe if his ears were dryer he could listen better.
 
CDNBear
#175
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

Sorry; but you've described "lurkers" not "trollers" as trollers actually have to have their hook in the water, doofus. Can't blame 'em for lurking as most of us learned a long time ago; exchanging dialogue with your ilk is nigh impossible with the "I know's" reigning supreme. And till you're tested to the same degree as our generation there's no facts available yet to scrutinize. You'll just have to wait till you're old enough to be called a senior to see if your little group measures up won't you?

Exceedingly happy I won't be here to witness that clutershuck!

You hit the nail on the head. You're pretty perceptive, since you picked up on that quite quickly.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Maybe if his ears were dryer he could listen better.

It has nothing to do with age. He could be 5 or 95, and he'll still be a stellar example of a hypocrite.

Why you guys actually waste any energy trying to discuss anything with him or show him where and how he's wrong, is beyond me.

All he deserves is to be made fun of. He makes SJP look like a champion debater.
 
Tonington
+1
#176
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Next I paid into OAS and CPP during the 40 years that I worked so it is not an entitlement but a pay back...

OAS comes from general tax revenues, unlike CPP which is a fund employees, employers, and the self employed pay into.
 
DaSleeper
#177
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

OAS comes from general tax revenues, unlike CPP which is a fund employees, employers, and the self employed pay into.

Since I worked for 41 years...I paid taxes which means I paid into it ...Non?????
 
Tonington
+1
#178
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Since I worked for 41 years...I paid taxes which means I paid into it ...Non?????

No. Current tax payers are paying the OAS for you. Paying taxes isn't the same as putting money in an account you can draw on.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#179
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

No. Current tax payers are paying the OAS for you. Paying taxes isn't the same as putting money in an account you can draw on.

Semantics...So I paid for someone before me...someone can pay for me...quit nitpickin" sheesh

Now tell me that I'm using semantics in the wrong context as I fully expect you to
 
Cannuck
+1
#180
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

And till you're tested to the same degree as our generation there's no facts available yet to scrutinize. You'll just have to wait till you're old enough to be called a senior to see if your little group measures up won't you?

No, not at all. I've seen how your generation measured up. You created a cradle to grave security blanket and stuck your descendants with the bill. I understand you seniors are proud of that accomplishment. It's the main reason you deserve so much ridicule.
 

Similar Threads

1
Commentary on the younger generation?
by Goober | Jun 25th, 2011
no new posts