Seniors don't want to give up money for younger gen: poll

Cannuck
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

The ones doing all the complaining are you and the 40+ year olds. Bunch of whiny, sniveling little "poor me" brats.

Nope, we are too busy working to pay off your generations public debt and managing the playground/arenas/golf courses to whine about "poor me". I don't think I have it bad at all. I'm merely pointing out how you seniors have the world by the balls and don't appreciate it (and expect the gravy train to continue). Why does that bother you so much?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Nope, we are too busy working to pay off your generations public debt and managing the playground/arenas/golf courses to whine about "poor me". I don't think I have it bad at all. I'm merely pointing out how you seniors have the world by the balls and don't appreciate it (and expect the gravy train to continue). Why does that bother you so much?

And for two reasons- good planning and hard work.

Cannuck

So your dad was a lazy, selfish prick. Not everybody's was.

Of course not everybody was. The overwhelming majority was. That is why there is a massive public debt (created by the seniors) in this country and little appetite from the seniors to cut their perks.

Cliffy

Doesn't bother me at all. I was just correcting you, ya whiny little ingrate.

When I was a kid we played on an out door rink. In this town, the arena was built by the people on weekends because it is too warm now to skate outdoor. And yes, I am enjoying this 12K annual gravy train. I am even starting to enjoy the taste of dog food.

Cannuck

And yes, I am enjoying this 12K annual gravy train. I am even starting to enjoy the taste of dog food.

Maybe you should have worked a little harder when you had the chance. I see you can afford a computer. what other toys do you have?

JLM

When I was a kid we played on an out door rink. In this town, the arena was built by the people on weekends because it is too warm now to skate outdoor. And yes, I am enjoying this 12K annual gravy train. I am even starting to enjoy the taste of dog food.

Good morning Cliff- Ain't it hilarious how these whining deprived pr*cks know so much about smart phones and I pods!

Maybe you should have worked a little harder when you had the chance. I see you can afford a computer. what other toys do you have?

Maybe you should mind your own friggin' business!

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

I'd say. absolutly not.

Its due to 10 people for one job. To many people in the market.
On the other hand if you have 20 jobs for 1 person then wage's will go up.

Supply and demand. its that simple.

Your just trolling xDDDD

Not really. More like too many with no life skills that refuse to move to where the jobs are. Just look at the help wanted adds for the resource areas. There are thousands of jobs yet young city kids just hang in their parents basement or camp in a park and demand that those that work share.

Cliffy

Besides this 5 year old computer, I have an 18 year old truck and a 31 year old motorcycle. No TV, no stereo, no cell phone or any other electronic gadgets. My net worth is about $2500. Do you want to trade places?

JLM

Besides this 5 year old computer, I have an 18 year old truck and a 31 year old motorcycle. No TV, no stereo, no cell phone or any other electronic gadgets. My net worth is about $2500. Do you want to trade places?

Holy sh*t, Cliff- What you have isn't even worth that silver spoon in his mouth.

Cannuck

I'm sure you probably wouldn't want to. Obviously hard work is not your bag and you would most likely have trouble keeping up to the pace I've established.

JLM
+1
Some people just don't know when to shut up!

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Some people just don't know when to shut up!

Now now, you got no cause to slam cannuck that way...

mentalfloss

We seriously need to take this debate out of it's sniveling context and stick to the numbers.

I think you raise a good point about the benefits of new technology, Cliffy, but it's wholeheartedly biased to say that because the older generation endured suffering while the new generation is much happier and therefore must suffer. In fact, it's downright hypocritical when the older generation also says it wants the "best" for the younger generations.

The fact of the matter is that the cost of living is higher for the younger generation, despite all the additional perks that all of us enjoy right now.

Adjusted for inflation, housing costs are 76% higher now than they were before. The rate of population growth and families being introduced is at an all time low.

Cliffy

I'm sure you probably wouldn't want to. Obviously hard work is not your bag and you would most likely have trouble keeping up to the pace I've established.

You are right. After being run over by the logging truck it was really hard to do any physical work, and then there was the two heart attacks and now struggling with congestive heart failure, it would be difficult to keep up your busy pace. But I am beginning to feel guilty for living off the fruits of your labour so I guess I'll just go and jump off a bridge. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

Cannuck

Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

Any time.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Now now, you got no cause to slam cannuck that way...

Did I mention names?

Cannuck
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

We seriously need to take this debate out of it's sniveling context and stick to the numbers.

I doubt that is going to happen. Some folks don't like the numbers

JLM

Adjusted for inflation, housing costs are 76% higher now than they were before. The rate of population growth and families being introduced is at an all time low.

Yeah, but look at the houses today compared to the ones "before". The houses "before" had one toilet, one sink, one wash basin, a wood burning heater in the living room, a sawdust burning range in the kitchen, three or four light bulbs and three or four electrical outlet and 110 power. You are comparing grapes to water melons!

You are right. After being run over by the logging truck it was really hard to do any physical work, and then there was the two heart attacks and now struggling with congestive heart failure, it would be difficult to keep up your busy pace. But I am beginning to feel guilty for living off the fruits of your labour so I guess I'll just go and jump off a bridge. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

If his labour in fact could run a 10 watt light bulb!

Cannuck
+1

Yeah, but look at the houses today compared to the ones "before". The houses "before" had one toilet, one sink, one wash basin, a wood burning heater in the living room, a sawdust burning range in the kitchen, three or four light bulbs and three or four electrical outlet and 110 power. You are comparing grapes to water melons!

No he's not. If you had been paying attention, you would realize that the figures he was quoting were from 1976. There not too many sawdust burning ranges in homes in 1976.

Cliffy

I think you raise a good point about the benefits of new technology, Cliffy, but it's wholeheartedly biased to say that because the older generation endured suffering while the new generation is much happier and therefore must suffer. In fact, it's downright hypocritical when the older generation also says it wants the "best" for the younger generations.

The fact of the matter is that the cost of living is higher for the younger generation, despite all the additional perks that all of us enjoy right now.

The cost of housing is insane, but most of that has to do with the houses being too big, too much stuff in them, expensive to heat and power all the gadgets. Everyone has to have their own washers and dryers, dish washers, fridges, freezers, fancy ranges, barbeques.... it is endless. You need an endles liteny of stuff to make life easier so you work harder to get them. It is an endless tread mill of self imposed slavery. It is not really the cost of living that went up, it was the idea that you can't live without all that crap.

I lived ten years in the bush. I have built my own shelters for a few hundred dollars, a log home for $800. I hunted and fished and grew gardens and my wife and I lived on less than $5000 a year. I know not everybody can do that but what I learned is that housing can be had for a small fraction of what people are paying because their expectations are way too high. I was raise in suberbs. My dad was head of international sales for Northern Telecom. I was born into the American dream but I rejected it because it just seemed beyond stupid to be a slave to our wants.

Cannuck

The cost of housing is insane, but most of that has to do with the houses being too big, too much stuff in them, expensive to heat and power all the gadgets. Everyone has to have their own washers and dryers, dish washers, fridges, freezers, fancy ranges, barbeques.... it is endless. You need an endles liteny of stuff to make life easier so you work harder to get them. It is an endless tread mill of self imposed slavery. It is not really the cost of living that went up, it was the idea that you can't live without all that crap.

Nonsense. My parents have downsized twice since the kids started moving out and the houses kept getting more expensive as the houses got smaller. The real reason for dramatic increase in prices has to do with the changes in mortgage qualification. At one time you needed 25% down and could only get a twenty five year amortization. The changes to those rules meant more people qualified. More buyers meant more demand. Couple that with more and more professional developers and less and less municipal development.

mentalfloss

Yeah, but look at the houses today compared to the ones "before". The houses "before" had one toilet, one sink, one wash basin, a wood burning heater in the living room, a sawdust burning range in the kitchen, three or four light bulbs and three or four electrical outlet and 110 power.

I understand that.

But with rising housing costs and stall in salaries, most Canadians will barely be able to afford a mortgage on "one house", regardless of what amenities it has.

JLM

No he's not. If you had been paying attention, you would realize that the figures he was quoting were from 1976. There not too many sawdust burning ranges in homes in 1976.

This thing started out comparing your generation with my generation and the home I described is what I grew up in, so 1976 is just a side issue.

Cannuck

This thing started out comparing your generation with my generation and the home I described is what I grew up in, so 1976 is just a side issue.

It may be a side issue to you but you were responding to MF's point and it isn't a side issue to him.

JLM

I lived ten years in the bush. I have built my own shelters for a few hundred dollars, a log home for $800. I hunted and fished and grew gardens and my wife and I lived on less than $5000 a year. I know not everybody can do that but what I learned is that housing can be had for a small fraction of what people are paying because their expectations are way too high. I was raise in suberbs. My dad was head of international sales for Northern Telecom. I was born into the American dream but I rejected it because it just seemed beyond stupid to be a slave to our wants.

You got that right, Cliff, a house has morphed from being a shelter to being a status symbol.

It may be a side issue to you but you were responding to MF's point and it isn't a side issue to him.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I meant it was a side issue to the thread.

Cannuck

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I meant it was a side issue to the thread.

Actually, it's not that either.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3

Politics was no different than today. Politicians are followers not leaders. There was no appetite for balanced budgets years ago so there was no incentive for politicians to balance budget. Perhaps if your generation just said no to your perks...

Your generation needs to stop looking at other generations for excuses for their own failures. Grow the **** up.

TenPenny
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by carlessView Post

I resent many seniors and their lavish lifestyles:trips everywhere,hotels,restaurants,new cars,and their expectation of respect for all their hard work.

To quote a friend of mine: let it go, the angry gonna eat you up.

Why resent other people for what they have? Some people have stuff, some people don't. In our world, if you want more stuff, you need to work harder. Or be content with what you have. Resentment is wasted energy.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

To quote a friend of mine: let it go, the angry gonna eat you up.

Why resent other people for what they have? Some people have stuff, some people don't. In our world, if you want more stuff, you need to work harder. Or be content with what you have. Resentment is wasted energy.

I think we can all agree on the standard that someone should be able to afford a reasonable dwelling and retirement.

petros
+2
For the montly bill to smoke cigarettes you can buy a house. It may not be a palace but you can still buy a house.