Seniors don't want to give up money for younger gen: poll

BruSan
+3
Now onto more "discussion" about this thread;

I've often been wondering about the reduction in military spending that ensued throughout the Trudeau and subequent Liberal years with the thought being; all that money went somewhere into other programs. They ran deficits. Although, while one Liberal attempted to balance the budget after he had served as finance minister for years, helping to create this boodoggle, there has been no avowed committment to adhere to a balanced budget from basicly any of them with now, a renewed spending spree on the part of the party that holds itself to be the most fiscally responsible of all.

I watched amazed as Bob Rae, wearing his NDP costume, basicly threw money at every pandering group from MADD to Buddie's In Bad Times Theatre while Ontario's premiere. We are expected to believe the NDP has gained some reasoned logic to their platform of appeal to the middle class - not likely. Their programs of entitlement would bankrupt us overnight with day care for every one, green power and a chicken in every pot!

Now we come to the rebirth, or metaporphis of the Liberals as contenders for the throne and we are expected to find some differences between them of the past and Bob Rae's new fraternal organization? Good grief, these folks change hats faster than Red Skelton!

Which brings me to the Conservatives, who I've been voting for by the by, that are now returning some common sense to the equation but are spending like drunken sailors in doing so. I agree with the miltary purchases, I agree with attempts to bring logic to immigration, I even agree with the current black eye but the resultant airing of reserve's dirty laundry as a result of years of pandering without accountability to various native bands.

Having admitted to voting for this particular party am I, once again, going to be blind sided by a massive deficit with further "kicking the debt can down the road" with subsequent guilt trips by disenfranchised demographic groups of Canadians to be laid at my feet?

How the hell does one choose? To have any effective control over ANY government, I'm thinking we have to stand right behind them with the threat of physical harm to them when they attempt to raise their stupid paws to vote for some piece of chit legislation that does nothing but spend more money on crap.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Ah, don't let him get to you like that. That's what the angle is. Might I suggest a trip through the archives, reading all the old postings can be a very enlightening endeavour. At least, I've found it to be so.

Happy Holidays BruSan.

I actually did that and changed my approcah to his posts for that very reason. He's consistant I'll give him that!

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

How the hell does one choose? To have any effective control over ANY government, I'm thinking we have to stand right behind them with the threat of physical harm to them when they attempt to raise their stupid paws to vote for some piece of chit legislation that does nothing but spend more money on crap.

Accountability is the key to it all. The main problem, as I see it, is that everything and (almost) everyone has an exaggerated tendency to get bogged down in playing the partisan game. This just keeps the wheel spinning and nothing more. Nothing gets resolved, we just end up with empty arguments.

ANY government will fall in line if we actually held them accountable for their actions. I'm not holding my breath though.

Quote:

I actually did that and changed my approcah to his posts for that very reason. He's consistant I'll give him that!

petros
+1
If the youth want my money they'll have stop walking around like zombies and give up texting.

DaSleeper
+2
Sometimes a post is just an oppinion on a subject and are not all an invitation to debate....yet to some...everything has to be questioned to the point of being a childish...anwser me..tell me...tell me constant nagging...and they call that debating
That would be a masterdebater... and skip the (de).

Angstrom
+1
I use to be bitter and hateful towards boomers as well.

My bone was more about how there use to be little law's compared to now. It seems like everything is over regulated at this point.

When I listen to all the crazy insane story's the boomers tell I'm more then jealous at the level of freedom there use to be in this country.

Other then that, I'm not to fond of the way some boomers treat us at work like we know nothing and are useless. Its funny cause when we all generation X on a job everything runs just fine.

As far as the whole money thing, If you have to be angry at something it might as well be the Women revolution. When they decided to have a life for themselves other then house care, it slowly became the standard so prices went up for everything. At first families with 2 income where living like king's and queens. Today you can't make without.

But can you blame them for it? I don't think you can anticipate and stop such a thing,even if you wanted to.

You can be hateful at Capitalism maybe. Its not perfect, But at least we have freedom with it, if you look at the alternatives.
Last edited by Angstrom; Dec 24th, 2011 at 08:51 AM..

Liberalman
Itís all about what the market is willing to pay and what the banks are willing to lose.

If you look at total household income to what money can buy it is about the same.

$50,000 house back in the 1960s where most people were getting less than a buck an hour and they still could afford it if they were willing to sacrifice.

A lot of seniors are living under the poverty line where for some it is a choice between food and medicine.

In Canada we are lucky because we have government healthcare where it is paid through taxes instead of money gouging doctors taking it from the patients.

The Conservative majority wants to cut healthcare spending so that will be another expense the seniors will have to deal with since most of them are on a fixed income.

Itís the seniors that created the opportunities for the younger generation and opportunities cost money.

One suggestion that will improve the economy is quit sending money out of the country to help other people in need until our citizens are taken care of.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

I've never been hateful or bitter towards anyone. It's such a waste of energy.

Other then that, I'm not to fond of the way some boomers treat us at work like we know nothing and are useless. Its funny cause when we all generation X on a job everything runs just fine.

Mixing and Managing Four Generations of Employees (external - login to view)

As far as the whole money thing, If you have to be angry at something it might as well be the Women revolution. When they decided to have a life for themselves other then house care, it slowly became the standard so prices went up for everything. At first families with 2 income where living like king's and queens. Today you can't make without.

But can you blame them for it? I don't think you can anticipate and stop such a thing,even if you wanted to.

It would appear that the only ones really angry on this thread are the seniors. As I've said many times before, I don't live in the past. Who is responsible for the massive debt the younger generations are stuck with is not really that important. What's done is done. The important thing is to figure out what to do about it. We can either deal with it ourselves or we can pass it off to the next generation. Anybody that wants the government to borrow money to keep the economy rolling and pass that debt onto future generations is being selfish. I have no problems with infrastructure programs however, funds should be set up during good times so that this work can be done in the bad times. We currently do things backwards in that the governments spend willy nilly when the times are good but slam the purse strings shut when the economy dips.

The reality is that we are heading into difficult financial times due to the aging population and some difficult decisions are going to have to be made. The point that I have been making is that the seniors in this country are more selfish than the younger generations so they really should stop being so critical of the selfishness of other generations. People in glass houses so the saying goes.

petros
+3
The generation before me built and paid for some really cool ****. Thank you!

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

In Canada we are lucky because we have government healthcare where it is paid through taxes instead of money gouging doctors taking it from the patients.

That's funny. As one doctor said last night, back in those days, doctors weren't very well paid.

BruSan
+2

My bone was more about how there use to be little law's compared to now. It seems like everything is over regulated at this point.

When I listen to all the crazy insane story's the boomers tell I'm more then jealous at the level of freedom there use to be in this country.

Now this one I can provide some insight on.

First: the women in the workplace. I came out of the Navy with having written provincial certification in three skilled trades and worked my entire career using one or more of those trades. One of my first jobs was with Canadian Arsenals in Longbranch Ontario, a Crown owned company at the time making munitions and other stuff by contract. That factory was populated with female machine operator's that had been there throughout the WWII years. Those individuals were endowed with a sense of pride that they had been more than just a little instrumental during that conflict and had gained a sense of being in charge of their lives without needing permission from their mates, peers or any other authroity figure. They were, bar none, the best machine operator's I ever had the priviledge to work with. To watch a slip of a woman hand crank an Acme Gridley Automatic machine around on it's cams against the monster springs that served to keep the followers against those cams to position and change tool bits while I was admonished to "stand back" lest I get in her way well; it was somewhat impressive to say the least.

Those women returned home in the evening to cook clean and regale their family with the day's 'factory' tales along with a sizable paycheque that probably served to impress other female family members. They can be foregiven for continuing to work to provide that income that would ease the burden to pay the mortgage and buy the new car. That generation shone a light on women in the workplace and imbued them with a sense of being more than homemakers taken for granted but actual contibutors on the same par as the males. Understandable, wouldn't you agree?

Many of today's safety reg's flowed out of manager's abhorrance at seeing their wives or other young women crippled by machines like 50 ton punch presses that didn't have the dual activator's or pull-backs invented or mandated yet. We benefitted in many ways from their involvement in the workplace.

Next "boomers" disrespecting younger workers. Well I can offer up my 'opinions only' here; every generation has a right of passage to go through joining the workplace and we might be guilty of needing to impress upon you how the older group treated us rather harshly when we joined the workforce. We abhorred this, of course and should all have been imbued with realization of it's unfairness but that's a hard nut to crack. I believe you're seeing the manifestation of "fear" plain and simple. You may be witness to your co-workers watching their lifes work being done in a "different", yes, perhaps even "better" way but mostly just "different" and that serves to put that spot light on their losing control of their traditional work environment. They may simply be afraid of the spectre of the world moving away from their contributions being manifested by your very presence. Understandable again, perhaps?

Lastly; regulations. Whooee, here's one we can all relate too, as virtually every generation has seen their lives impacted nefariously by these pesky things. Votes; plain and simple! The government sticks it's hands into our lives because they can fool us into thinking they actually care about some issue or antoher by enacting legislation that again panders to fears, either real or imagined. In short it gives them something ELSE to crack on about in the House rather than deal with the stuff that requires integrity and sacrifice.

Seat belts, helmets, I am actually of an age to have ridden a 52 Pan Head across Canada one leave from the Navy without a helmet being required! Environmental reg's of taxation on everything from batteries, tires and A/C going into things OTHER than environmental portfolios. laws preventing discipline of ANY nature in the school systems, etc., etc.. I agree it's nuts and how did we let it get so out of step with logical thinking? We listened to rhetoric and mistook it for common sense!

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Ah, don't let him get to you like that. That's what the angle is. Might I suggest a trip through the archives, reading all the old postings can be a very enlightening endeavour. At least, I've found it to be so.

Happy Holidays BruSan.

Is there a way I can zoom in on all his past posts so they can be sorted into three categories- brain dead, ridiculous and "off the planet" and then we could feed them back to him one at time?

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Is there a way I can zoom in on all his past posts so they can be sorted into three categories- brain dead, ridiculous and "off the planet" and then we could feed them back to him one at time?

Oh he hates it when you feed him his own words.

He stands behind every logical inconsistency and hypocrisy he's posted don't ya know.

JLM
+1

Well, in other countries they do assassinate them!

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Oh he hates it when you feed him his own words.

He stands behind every logical inconsistency and hypocrisy he's posted don't ya know.

But as you've said before, Bear, he can be a sh*t load of chuckles!

CDNBear
+1

But as you've said before, Bear, he can be a sh*t load of chuckles!

That's all he is. He certainly isn't capable of reasoned discussion.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We should hold a nationwide garage sale to pay off the debt. I'll donate some Mason jars and a deep socket set with 1/3 of the SAE sockets missing.

DO the mason jars still have shine in them? Or at least huckleberry jam?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

DO the mason jars still have shine in them? Or at least huckleberry jam?

Currently full of canned crab apples but those are going to me made into wine or mead first.

BruSan
+1
My vote, if there's input accepted, would be brandied 'bing' cherries!

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Currently full of canned crab apples but those are going to me made into wine or mead first.

Thats OK. I have the technology to turn the wine into real alcohol easily enough.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

How would you put his posts in only 1 of those categories?

Cannuck

Having admitted to voting for this particular party am I, once again, going to be blind sided by a massive deficit with further "kicking the debt can down the road" with subsequent guilt trips by disenfranchised demographic groups of Canadians to be laid at my feet?

Perhaps you should do something about it. If anybody has the time to get involved in the process and fight for changes it would be our senior population. To have effective control over any government, all that is required is for people to take control. It is a copout to say nothing can be done. I was involved with the Reform Party years ago and we were able to affect change. We were the ones that brought the debt and deficit to the forefront which eventually led to balanced budgets.

The issue is not that the seniors are responsible for the current debt (they are). The issue is that they are not willing to take ownership of their selfishness. This is problematic because the current economic situation is going to require reduced spending and or higher taxes. We need to focus on targetting our spending where it is most needed. Since seniors are a large voting block, the have to do their part.

taxslave
+3
It is not just seniors, no one (or at least very few) is willing to either give up the freebies or pay higher taxes. In reality we probably need do neither one, rather just cut the incredible amount of waste generated by governments. Now of course the government union leaders will not like this because it will make a serious dent in their dues collection as well as take high paying jobs away from people whose only real qualification is that they are content to do as little as possible and still bitch about how hard done by they are. In the real world most of them would be lucky to get a job as greeter at wallywirld. This goes for all levels of government, not just the feds. Next we need to take a hard look at government regulations that stifle job creation. Governments do need to provide a regulatory framework but most often their idea of helping business is anything but. All at huge expense.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

It is not just seniors, no one (or at least very few) is willing to either give up the freebies or pay higher taxes. In reality we probably need do neither one, rather just cut the incredible amount of waste generated by governments.

No. Transfers and debt servicing account for 70% of federal expenditures. It is a myth that our financial problems can be solved by eliminating waste. The population is aging and interest rates will inevitably rise.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

No. Transfers and debt servicing account for 70% of federal expenditures. It is a myth that our financial problems can be solved by eliminating waste. The population is aging and interest rates will inevitably rise.

That is a misnomer!

ironsides
+3
SENIOR CITIZEN JOKE

A little silver-haired lady calls her neighbor and says, "Please come
over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't
figure out how to get started."

Her neighbor asks, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

The little silver haired lady says, "According to the picture on the
box, it's a rooster."

Her neighbor decides to go over and help with the puzzle.

She lets him in and shows him where she has the puzzle spread all over
the table.

He studies the pieces for a moment, then looks at the box, then turns
to her and says,
"First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to
assemble these pieces into anything resembling a rooster."

He takes her hand and says, "Secondly, I want you to relax. Let's have
a nice cup of tea, and then," he said with a deep sigh ............

(scroll down)

"Let's put all the Corn Flakes back in the box."

gerryh
what it boils down to as to why there is no money, and why there will be a major problem with paying for what we have and need is the fact that the baby boomers didn't have enough children, and the baby boomers kids didn't have enough children.

We have a major problem in the trades coming up as there are not enough apprentices coming in to replace the tradesmen retiring. There are not enough people paying taxes to pay for the extra burden that the baby boomers are going to be putting on the system when they basically stop paying taxes.

petros
+1
That's why we're investing CPP in oil.

Doesn't understand why?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

what it boils down to as to why there is no money, and why there will be a major problem with paying for what we have and need is the fact that the baby boomers didn't have enough children, and the baby boomers kids didn't have enough children.

We have a major problem in the trades coming up as there are not enough apprentices coming in to replace the tradesmen retiring. There are not enough people paying taxes to pay for the extra burden that the baby boomers are going to be putting on the system when they basically stop paying taxes.

I think you are onto something there, Ger!

gerryh

I think you are onto something there, Ger!

Really? Ya think so?

The problem is, one needs at least half a brain to figure it out. That pretty much leaves out quite a few gen X's and Y's.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Really? Ya think so?

The problem is, one needs at least half a brain to figure it out. That pretty much leaves out quite a few gen X's and Y's.

Yeah, if the guy that was doing the most whining, had half a dozen kids he'd be contributing to solving the problem instead of helping to make it worse!

Cannuck

Yeah, if the guy that was doing the most whining, had half a dozen kids he'd be contributing to solving the problem instead of helping to make it worse!

I'm for more immigration and balanced budgets. That would solve the problem more effectively than just having more kids. The world doesn't really need more people. The simplistic views of your generation are a big part of the reason the current predicament exists.