Seniors don't want to give up money for younger gen: poll

petros
Now nobody wants to live in the abandoned neighbourhoods so they are building new ones.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Yup, in Phoenix you can buy a brand new house for little more than the price of a cup of coffee. It seems the seniors down there over extended themselves....typical!

Search Phoenix Homes For Sale - Arizona MLS - Property Listings (external - login to view)

I got news for you, Einstein- in Canada it is against the law to promote hatred toward a demographic group and as you may be implicating the forum in this and make Andem susceptable to criminal charges it could be in the forums best interest to send you the way of S.J.P. and Harley Honey.

These aren't perks as we pay for them through our taxes (at least we did until Harpo started running deficits again). As I quoted, perks are "an extra financial benefit". Again, in keeping with the context of this thread, your generation was never paying for many of your perks due to deficit financing...you know...buy now pay later. It's exactly what many seniors are critical of in the younger generations. The difference is that the seniors did it through the government so their children would pay. If younger generations do it, it is with credit cards, which they are still responsible for. Younger generations are responsible for their own debt while the seniors passed theirs off. It's pretty clear who the irresponsible ones are.

Oh, I think I get it Einstein, your perks are covered by your taxes but mine aren't! Why, because my taxes are going to covering YOUR perks?

Judging from the response of most seniors here, if you had worked harder when you had the opportunity, you wouldn't have to worry about barely getting by.

You are a coward!

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I got news for you, Einstein- in Canada it is against the law to promote hatred toward a demographic group and as you may be implicating the forum in this and make Andem susceptable to criminal charges it could be in the forums best interest to send you the way of S.J.P. and Harley Honey.

No need to go all Francois Houle on him... do you have the HRC on speed dial or something?

Goober
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

No need to go all Francois Houle on him... do you have the HRC on speed dial or something?

After being shxt upon for page after page. He had enough.

JLM
+1

Well, he has been quiet for an hour!

Cannuck
+2

Coming from a senior liek JLM, that's pretty funny. This thread is evidence enough of who is spreading hatred. They are the most intolerant generation as well as the most selfish.

JLM

Coming from a senior liek JLM, that's pretty funny. This thread is evidence enough of who is spreading hatred. They are the most intolerant generation as well as the most selfish.

Well, I'm guessing two of them raised you, so I might buy the most stupid!

BruSan
+1
JLM; Give ya kudo's for tenacity. Reading this guys and one other's posts is somewhat akin to sledding through Mein Kampf. You know there's some functioning cells but they can't seem to align to form a response other than the same old refrain. He ran out of ammunition when he stated he had no quarrel with seniors but expects an apology.

We grew up with guys like this in our peer groups and eventually they went on to become teenie little beuraucrats toiling away in their little cubicles 'cause no one wanted to either play with them OR work alongside them.

Those report cards these guys have never seen,where your grade school teachers would write those little missives like time bombs at end of term then hand it to you to carry home yourself. Miss Wright from grade two would have written "Cannuck has an assertive nature but needs to temper it with restraint; does not interact well with others, has trouble making friends". She was a very diplomatic teacher.

Cannuck
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

He ran out of ammunition when he stated he had no quarrel with seniors but expects an apology.

You seniors sure do have a problem with reading comprehension. I don't "expect" an apology from seniors. They are far too selfish and ignorant for that. I'm merely saying that it would be the respectful thing to do but respect is something you guys aren't too good at. No, what I "expect" from seniors is that they demand more perks, privileges and handouts while they disrespect those that pay for them. It is, after all, the nature of the people in that generation.

ironsides
Memories

Memory-a spoof by Pam Peterson - YouTube (external - login to view)

JLM

You seniors sure do have a problem with reading comprehension. I don't "expect" an apology from seniors. They are far too selfish and ignorant for that. I'm merely saying that it would be the respectful thing to do but respect is something you guys aren't too good at. No, what I "expect" from seniors is that they demand more perks, privileges and handouts while they disrespect those that pay for them. It is, after all, the nature of the people in that generation.

Dream on.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck;

Chihuahua Terrier Mix puppy chasing and catching his tail - YouTube (external - login to view)

Goober
+1

Well you have not been Mr. Pleasant either. I know I can be dammed ignorant.

CDNBear
+2

No, what I "expect" from seniors is that they demand more perks, privileges and handouts while they disrespect those that pay for them. It is, after all, the nature of the people in that generation.

There's something disingenuous about that comment, coming from a union man. Who demands more perks, privileges, and handouts while they disrespect those that pay for them.

It is after all the nature of the people who belong to public service unions.

JLM

Spreading hatred? Who wrote the first post denigrating seniors, Einstein? And who wrote the second?

petros
Here is one for all the wannabe Kings and Queens....

.09 Start Wearing Purple by Gogol Bordello - YouTube (external - login to view)

JLM
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

There's something disingenuous about that comment, coming from a union man. Who demands more perks, privileges, and handouts while they disrespect those that pay for them.

It is after all the nature of the people who belong to public service unions.

Ooooooooooooh oooooooooooooooh ooooooooooooh Bear! I was a member of a public service union for over 25 years, because I had no choice but to belong as I was already employed prior to being Unionised. While I don't completely condemn Unions my experience with the P.S.U. was that they protected the drones, the parasites and the sh*t disturbers, while the go-getters were held back to the same level as the previously mentioned.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Ooooooooooooh oooooooooooooooh ooooooooooooh Bear! I was a member of a public service union for over 25 years, because I had no choice but to belong as I was already employed prior to being Unionised. While I don't completely condemn Unions my experience with the P.S.U. was that they protected the drones, the parasites and the sh*t disturbers, while the go-getters were held back to the same level as the previously mentioned.

The biggest problem with unions, IMHO.

petros
+3
Some draw a bucket of sweet water from the well, take a drink and spill the rest on the ground while others pour what they don't need back into the well.

It's doesn't matter what your background is or what organizations you belong to. There will always be pigs drawing a full bucket.

Tonington
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

After being shxt upon for page after page. He had enough.

There's been an awful lot of people sh!tting on people in this thread...maybe people should try the mods before vague legal threats and dragging Andem into this. Just sayin'.

BruSan
+1

Gotta love it when you attempt to float a balloon and refer to it later as an "agreed to" fact.

All through this thread you've talked about respect and consideration and at the same time you ***ume we'll not notice your denigrating one demographic while claiming the higher ground. Gad's I'll bet daddy's proud of you.

Here's my hope for you, big-mouth: Someone who knows you, put's your last bunch of garbage posted here out in the public so your pa and all those other seniors in your town are aware of exactly how much disdain you hold them in. I would dearly love to be around to witness their judgement results on your pampered little lifestyle.

That BoD job with it's little perks of free membership and perhaps even a small expense account would dry up over-night. Maybe the town fathers would reckon that your lack of compassion makes you a poor choice to represent the VFF in their area?

You mentioned at least one other fraternal organization you do volunteer work for after that tough 48 hour week you put in at your desk, You do realize that virtually every fraternal org. has a charter they hold sacrosanct and you've violated nearly every facet of the things with your vitriol aimed against one identifiable group on here.

It would be kinda neat to be on the sidelines if Daddy showed up waving reams of this thread copied off, to inform you in no uncertain terms of his intent to take you out of his will. Chickens roosting?

Hell; I'd be satisfied to just be listening in on the other end of a phone call from you to a local plumber of your generation who informs you his dad worked hard all his life and didn't appreciate your generalizations of him being an ingrate sucking off yur generosity so you'd better haul your sorry *** to the VFF hall and lug the portapump home 'cause your basement's gonna be full before he fixes a damn leak for you.

You even had the nerve to mention your 40 hour work week as the norm. Do you even bother to think about what you type before you push the submit button? Didn't think so. That 40 hour week you take for granted, with overtime paid on hours above that, came to be through those of us who stumped around in the snow on picket lines at loss of wages when we could have used that money for X-mas gifts but thought a higher moral obligation was to fabricate a better working evrionment and future for those who came behind us. Something else you don't give any thought to but nevertheless take for granted. You're welcome by the way; you ingrate.

I've mentioned many times in my posts on this thread that life is about choices. Some you have little say in but others are yours to make alone and should take sole responsibility for. Being a taxpayer in Canada is one of those.

The Canadian way is to soldier on regardless of the obstacles placed before you without attempting to castigate, denigrate or obfuscate who might, or might not, be responsible for you having a bit of a rough patch.

There's been an awful lot of people sh!tting on people in this thread...maybe people should try the mods before vague legal threats and dragging Andem into this. Just sayin'.

Tonington: I know you don't give a rat's patoot about others opinions but yours have been posts that showed some common ground at times with the seniors while at the same time encouraging cannuck in his blanket villification of one particular demographic as being to blame for everything from hangnails to dirty underwear.

I respectfully submit to you; engaging in an honest debate on what is wrong with the government method or even the reasoning behind funding of benefits plans would be one matter; but another entirely; is ***uming to place blame for government budgetary deficits shown in particular areas on one identifiable demographic.

You and others of your generation want to stimulate reasoned discussion about this would do better to approach the topic with logic and factual references that don't simply enforce your paticular chagrin at a group who had virtually no say in gov't spending.

You vote for a party that makes some promises based on what appear to be reasoned, well thought out, approaches to the problems of the day and learn later their intention to fund it with running of deficits and pooling into general revenue those funds that were earmarked for specific things such as CPP. You have no idea how angry most of us seniors were when the previous finance minister through many administrations of taking/raiding those CPP funds; comes along later as a Prime Minister to claim the fund is in arrears and needs benefit restructuring and higher premiums to sustain it.

The feds set many rules in place that restrict the amount of surplus funding that will be allowed into any private defined benefit plan and stipulates very rigidly what those funds can be used for in an effort to garner as much tax revenue and prevent sheltering of excess assets in those funds. At the same time; however, they knowingly raided those public and many other funds to get their grubs on money to be used to operate irresponsibly for years of deficit governing.

Do you or "Cannuck" even bother to think for one second how frustrating it is to watch that stuff happen and be virtually powerless with anything other than the ballot box to put a stop to it? Lest you think this was a problem endemnic with one political party only, I urge you to peruse your history at depth and you'll find these shennanegans spread across the spectrum from the Liberals through the NDP (the seemingly new poster child) to the much vaunted, fiscally responsible, conservative party of today - Yeaaah riiiight!

Watch closely my young friends as you are about to be put by the side of the road with your hat in your hand wondering why they kicked YOU off the bus in the middle of nowhere. YOU have no special immunity from anything that happened to us that is about to happen to you. we are no more, as a group, to blame for what's coming at you than you will be for what you will have created that hits your kids upside the head, be it financial or a world you cannot breath outdoors in.

Now please stop throwing the insults around and let's work together to sort this and many other messes out, as I guaran-damn-tee you're presently creating some that your kids won't enjoy either but hopefully they'll not resort to accusations and deflection in a futile need to affix blame.
Last edited by BruSan; Dec 23rd, 2011 at 02:15 PM..

coldstream
+2
This generation moving into the workforce now is the first generation since the Great Depression who will be substantially poorer than their parents. Most baby boomers can remember that their parents were able to live comfortable middle class lives, on one salary, in the 1950s.. in secure life long employment, with ample benefits and pensions.

They can remember most of their own college education came in the form of grants and they likely graduated with no more than a few hundred dollars of college debt. And most of them know from their own experience that the economic well being of middle class professionals has been falling for 40 years.. since they graduated in the 1970s.

They've likely found they were unable to raise a family on one income.. have lost several jobs over their professional lives.. put themselves in debt to raise and educate thier children.. and many now find their retirement prospects compromised.. and are forced into leveraging their houses for living income... leaving their estates berefit.

It's not sacrifice on the part of those who can still barely afford a decent living through a life time of work that is needed, that won't solve the problem.. it is the complete dismantling of the Free Market paradigm.. free trade, monetarism, deregulation, privatization... which is in a profound state of collapse. The up ticks of economic activity we see are fictional, it is a bouncing ball on a downward slope, never achieving its previous level and that has been going on for decades.

And their kids are doing even worse. Coming out of college drenched in debt, unable to afford home ownership for a decade or more, unable to find work well compensated and secure enough to start a family.

That's where the cruddy, criminal con game of 'Free Markets' has led us since 1971. And it is about to get much worse.. we are relentlessly moving into another Great Depression.. where only those in the completely non-productive and parasitic financial and trading parallel economy are payed well... through exploitation of those in severe distress.. in this country or in Maquilladora free trade zones around the world.
Last edited by coldstream; Dec 23rd, 2011 at 02:40 PM..

Tonington
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

Tonington: I know you don't give a rat's patoot about others opinions but yours have been posts that showed some common ground at times with the seniors while at the same time encouraging cannuck in his blanket villification of one particular demographic as being to blame for everything from hangnails to dirty underwear.

Poisoning the well, that's a great start...I haven't encouraged Cannuck. In my multiple posts in this thread I've said on many occasions that the generalizations people are making about generations are idiotic, in not so many words.

Quote:

I respectfully submit to you; engaging in an honest debate on what is wrong with the government method or even the reasoning behind funding of benefits plans would be one matter;,but another entirely; is ***uming to place blame for government budgetary deficits shown in particular areas on one identifiable demographic.

And I never blamed anyone for anything... I've mentioned what I think are issues which need to be addressed for long-term sustainability of our country. I've mentioned some differences in the challenges of the time, though honestly I think the differences between generational challenges ought to go without saying. Apparently not.

Quote:

You and others of your generation want to stimulate reasoned discussion about this would do better to approach the topic with logic and factual references that don't simply enforce your paticular chagrin at a group who had virtually no say in gov't spending.

Seriously, now you're starting to annoy me. You're hacking a strawman.

Quote:

Do you or "Cannuck" even bother to think for one second how frustrating it is to watch that stuff happen and be virtually powerless with anything other than the ballot box to p0ut a stop to it?

This lecture is getting more than frustrating now. You're asking me to use logic, but you're not using any at all by conflating my contributions with Cannuck. The answer by the way for my part is yes, and yes.

Quote:

Now please stop throwing the insults around and let's work together to sort this and many other messes out as I guaran-damn-tee you're presentlycreating some that your kids won't enjoy either but hopefully they'll not resort to accusations and deflection in a futile need to affix blame.

It's difficult to stop throwing insults when I haven't thrown any at all...perhaps you might want to think about that when you're chiding Cannuck for his repeated generalizations of your generation, for his vilification of a group...

JLM

We were always taught (and I fully agree with it) before you go hollering for help, you try everything yourself first. I don't believe I was being presumptuous in mentioning Andem as if I were in Andem's shoes I would sure appreciate the same being done for me. I also had a glimmer of hope that it might shut this A$$hole up!

BruSan
+3

Poisoning the well, that's a great start...I haven't encouraged Cannuck. In my multiple posts in this thread I've said on many occasions that the generalizations people are making about generations are idiotic, in not so many words.

And I never blamed anyone for anything... I've mentioned what I think are issues which need to be addressed for long-term sustainability of our country. I've mentioned some differences in the challenges of the time, though honestly I think the differences between generational challenges ought to go without saying. Apparently not.

Seriously, now you're starting to annoy me. You're hacking a strawman.

This lecture is getting more than frustrating now. You're asking me to use logic, but you're not using any at all by conflating my contributions with Cannuck. The answer by the way for my part is yes, and yes.

It's difficult to stop throwing insults when I haven't thrown any at all...perhaps you might want to think about that when you're chiding Cannuck for his repeated generalizations of your generation, for his vilification of a group...

Re-reading my posts and yours revealed to me that I had used my ire at "cannuck" to completely misjudge the intent of your responses and for that I apologize. I am certainly old enough to know that forums require the discipline to step away from an issue and consider another viewpoint or consideration may have been intended. I blew it when I interpreted your post as a general defence of another's tactic's that you have clearly refuted in your last post.

I'm wrong and will readily admit it in reference to yourself.

Now having said that; cannuck on the other hand has done everything I attributed to him and am not one bit in error in my assessment of him or his generalizations.

Angstrom
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

This generation moving into the workforce now is the first generation since the Great Depression who will be substantially poorer than their parents. Most baby boomers can remember that their parents were able to live comfortable middle class lives, on one salary, in the 1950s.. in secure life long employment, with ample benefits and pensions.
They can remember most of their own college education came in the form of grants and they likely graduated with no more than a few hundred dollars of college debt. And most of them know from their own experience that the economic well being of middle class professionals has been falling for 40 years.. since they graduated in the 1970s.
They've likely found they were unable to raise a family on one income.. have lost several jobs over their professional lives.. put themselves in debt to raise and educate thier children.. and many now find their retirement prospects compromised.. and are forced into leveraging their houses for living income... leaving their estates berefit.
It's not sacrifice on the part of those who can still barely afford a decent living through a life time of work that is needed, that won't solve the problem.. it is the complete dismantling of the Free Market paradigm.. free trade, monetarism, deregulation, privatization... which is in a profound state of collapse. The up ticks of economic activity we see are fictional, it is a bouncing ball on a downward slope, never...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
I still agree with some of what the Boomers are saying that you got to make your own. Are there less opportunity? Not really. Just to many wanting to jump on them.

My last 8 years trying to keep this family floating has been hell for me and my wife in my perspective. I never thought life could be this stressful and hard.

But I learned a lot in the last 8 years, and its only going to be up from here.
Just the pride I feel when I look at us and realize all the effort it took to get us to where we are today makes me happy. When I look at how well raised our kids are and look at the success they are having already at there young age.
If how much money you have is your gauge for your level of happiness, you have a hard lesson in line for you.
I know it took me a long time and a lot of hard work before figuring some of that out, and guess what.
Things are finally starting to look up.
Last edited by Angstrom; Dec 23rd, 2011 at 03:54 PM..

JLM
As far as cost of college/university goes, I would guess it's about the same ratio to salary earned upon completion now as it was in the days Cannuck is referring to. So that excuse just won't fly!

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

I still agree with some of what the Boomers are saying that you got to make your own. Are there less opportunity? Not really. Just to many wanting to jump on them.

My last 8 years trying to keep this family floating has been hell for me and my wife in my perspective. I never thought life could be this stressful and hard.

But I learned a lot in the last 8 years, and its only going to be up from here.
Just the pride I feel when I look at us and realize all the effort it took to get us to where we are today makes me happy. When I look at how well raised our kids are and look at the success they are having already at there young age.
If how much money you have is your gauge for your level of happiness, you have a hard lesson in line for you.
I know it took me a long time and a lot of hard work before figuring some of that out, and guess what.
Things are finally starting to look up.

Good post. Hard lessons learned. Money does not solve all problems. Enjoying what you do is important. It also has to put the food on the table as they say.

Merry Christmas.

Angstrom
+3

Good post. Hard lessons learned. Money does not solve all problems. Enjoying what you do is important. It also has to put the food on the table as they say.

Merry Christmas.

Hard work Will always pay off. In some kind of form. Just don't give up on it.
(It may take 8 years before you start to see results)
A Merry Christmas to you to!
Last edited by Angstrom; Dec 23rd, 2011 at 04:28 PM..

JLM

Merry Christmas.

A little secret- a good credit rating is worth more than all the money in the world, especially now a days when some outfits won't accept cash.