Seniors don't want to give up money for younger gen: poll


Cannuck
#301
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

And of course no one in your family ever benefited from the Govt spending more than they had. Would that be correct? Of course it would not be correct - More than enough blame to go around.

It's not about blame. It's about taking responsibility. Seniors really should take responsibility for the mess they made in this country (what with 700 billion just in federal debt alone) and they should also take responsibility for thanking the younger generations for bailing them out of the pickle.

..and no, to answer your question, nobody in my family has ever benefited from government spending more than seniors.
 
Goober
#302
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

It's not about blame. It's about taking responsibility. Seniors really should take responsibility for the mess they made in this country (what with 700 billion just in federal debt alone) and they should also take responsibility for thanking the younger generations for bailing them out of the pickle.

..and no, to answer your question, nobody in my family has ever benefited from government spending more than seniors.

Are you not a Govt employee?
 
petros
+1
#303
When I get old yer all in trouble.
 
Cannuck
#304
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Are you not a Govt employee?

Yes.
 
Goober
#305
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Yes.

How many years?
 
Tonington
#306
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

The point is: university was not available for the average middle class person, and especially me who
was at home with a mother who worked, a divorced mom.

Nor was it needed. You need some sort of post-secondary education today, trade schools, colleges, universities, are pretty much requisite unless someone wants to stock shelves, cook french fries, or operate a cashier. That's fine if that's what someone wants, those jobs still need to be filled.
 
Cannuck
#307
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

How many years?

seven
 
Goober
#308
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

seven

What did your parent(s) work at?
 
Cannuck
#309
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

What did your parent(s) work at?

Military
 
Goober
#310
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Military

Army??
 
Cannuck
#311
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Army??

Started in artillery and eventually ended up with air command in Edmonton. BTW, in the context of this thread, my issue is not about wages it's about government programs.
 
BruSan
+2
#312
This just keeps getting better and better with this nonsense. Seniors are the new boogiemen under the bed for a particular sub-set of posters who are enjoying getting our bloodpressure to spike. Same type of behaviour from these folks when you question their rudeness in public; they respond with "grampa" as though that should be taken as an insult. It is now, and always will be a compliment retards!

They don't think we owe them anything but apologies would be nice. Haaar; don't hold your breath there waiting for that one from me sweetcheeks! I've explained already that I'm still putting into the sytem MORE than you probably are. I don't see a dime of OAS and until you've contributed to CPP for over 36 years so you can say you've put in the same as me I'll disregard anything you have to offer on thst issue too.

Now what other little entitlement that I'm getting is supposedly coming out of your pockets at a greater rate than mine? Health care; try again boobie; I'm fullly covered for out of province, eyeglasses, hearing aids + batteries, chiro, massage therapy and even damned grief counselling if needed.

You didn't and won't contibute one drop of sweat equity to get me anything junior. In final anlysis if you're sitting on some civil service job; I've been paying your freight rates on your screen time.

No one forced you to go for the brass ring and rack up student debts; coulda taken an apprenticship and had that 100k a year job but I suspect you would not have been able to hack the regimen required. So instead of being a contributor to the sytem for those years of learning while paying taxes you elected to sit in a classroom and not pay taxes to garner an education you knew at the outset WASN"T going to produce the returns your idiot guidance counsellors may have led you to believe. You made a choice; perhaps a bad one, tough, suck it up and stop blaming us.

We shouldered debts left by our forefathers and so will your children but if they learn anything from your bellyaching it will be abject shame at your behaviour and a commitment to not repeat your self-absorbed performance.

Seniors discounts at restaurants - you gotta be chitting me!
 
ironsides
#313



United States
Last edited by ironsides; Dec 22nd, 2011 at 05:54 PM..Reason: title
 
petros
#314
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Nor was it needed. You need some sort of post-secondary education today, trade schools, colleges, universities, are pretty much requisite unless someone wants to stock shelves, cook french fries, or operate a cashier. That's fine if that's what someone wants, those jobs still need to be filled.

It has always been that way.

Quote:


This just keeps getting better and better with this nonsense. Seniors are the
new boogiemen under the bed for a particular sub-set of posters who are enjoying
getting our bloodpressure to spike.

You guys arte gonna **** when Gen X takes the helm.
 
Cannuck
+1
#315
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

...retards!...sweetcheeks!.... try again boobie.... junior.....your idiot guidance counsellors...

Are you angry because you are old or have you always been that way?
 
JLM
#316
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Yes. Seniors can also claim they paid their fair share when they transfer some of the bills for someone else to pay. There seems to have been a lot of that going around with your generation.

What perks are you referring to?

Stress leave, maternity leave (and now guys are even getting it) working at home, flexible hours. I got a quote for a service call the other day.............................$85 for half an hour and when I questioned her about it she says "oh that covers our travelling costs to your place and our gas".................................Yeah, right for one mile to my place from town. It's the audacity and lies. Any I decided then and there I didn't need her.
 
Tonington
#317
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It has always been that way.

Since when? Do you have any statistics?
 
petros
#318
You need a link to the writing on the wall? Poor guy.
 
BruSan
#319
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Are you angry because you are old or have you always been that way?

Angry;? Naah, that's not something you're ever likely to see. I'm being reserved when responding to your infantile missives. There's intelligent folks on here who don't deserve to read my ire so I'm keeping it tame.

65 ain't old; it's just getting warmed up!
 
Cannuck
#320
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Stress leave, maternity leave (and now guys are even getting it) working at home, flexible hours.

These aren't perks as we pay for them through our taxes (at least we did until Harpo started running deficits again). As I quoted, perks are "an extra financial benefit". Again, in keeping with the context of this thread, your generation was never paying for many of your perks due to deficit financing...you know...buy now pay later. It's exactly what many seniors are critical of in the younger generations. The difference is that the seniors did it through the government so their children would pay. If younger generations do it, it is with credit cards, which they are still responsible for. Younger generations are responsible for their own debt while the seniors passed theirs off. It's pretty clear who the irresponsible ones are.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I got a quote for a service call the other day.............................$85 for half an hour and when I questioned her about it she says "oh that covers our travelling costs to your place and our gas".................................Yeah, right for one mile to my place from town. It's the audacity and lies.

Hardly audacity and lies. Businesses don't charge mileage from their establishment. It makes no difference whether you live 1/2 mile or 10 miles. You should consider yourself lucky. Back in the mid eighties we were charging $70 for service calls but only if they were seniors since they could easily afford it.


Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Any I decided then and there I didn't need her.

I'm sure they are grateful.
 
petros
#321

Joe Walsh - Life Of Illusion - YouTube

 
talloola
#322
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Sure, but you can take an honest look at how things are now and realize that maybe, just maybe, the government squandered the taxes people paid in the past and those people need to be willing to accept cuts to the benefits they have.

The tax money wasn't saved by the government. It was spent on the premise that there would be more than enough tax money in the future to pay for everything, but--lo, and behold--there isn't enough money. Demanding that all the programs for seniors paid for by current tax payers stay the same is just being ignorant to the way things are now and playing dumb to the fact that the government already spent the tax dollars of the past.

and expecting to tell most seniors who can barely get by month to month that they will even get less is
insane and unfair.

perhaps like any other wealthy in the country, who aren't seniors, the wealthy seniors could be expected
to take less. Would you be happy and satisfied knowing that you were responsible for taking food off
of many seniors tables.
the assumption that all seniors are snow birds, own rvs, lots of money in the bank, is inaccurate.


seniors who are living on very low pensions are not responsible for what governments did at any time,
but for some reason you want to penalize them, you sound jealous of people who you think are well off,
and don't seem to be aware of the average senior at all.
 
Cannuck
#323
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Are you angry because you are old ...

Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

Angry;? Naah, that's not something you're ever likely to see. I'm being reserved when responding to your infantile missives. There's intelligent folks on here who don't deserve to read my ire so I'm keeping it tame.

65 ain't old; it's just getting warmed up!

I'll take that as a yes.
 
JLM
#324
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Nor was it needed. You need some sort of post-secondary education today, trade schools, colleges, universities, are pretty much requisite unless someone wants to stock shelves, cook french fries, or operate a cashier. That's fine if that's what someone wants, those jobs still need to be filled.

You can still get promotions through the system and some outfits will even pay for your training. Do good at cooking them Frenchy fries and in no time at all you could get promoted to scalloped potatoes.
 
Cannuck
#325
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

and expecting to tell most seniors who can barely get by month to month that they will even get less is
insane and unfair.

Judging from the response of most seniors here, if you had worked harder when you had the opportunity, you wouldn't have to worry about barely getting by.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#326
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post




United States

That's a misleading graph because it shows the annual change and not the actual house prices.

And it would make more sense to have it as a bar graph as well.
 
BruSan
#327
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I'll take that as a yes.


Well of course you would.
 
Cannuck
#328
Quote: Originally Posted by BruSanView Post

Well of course you would.

Yes, of course I would.
 
petros
#329
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

That's a misleading graph because it shows the annual change and not the actual house prices.

And it would make more sense to have it as a bar graph as well.

Needs to be broken down regionally.
 
Cannuck
#330
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Needs to be broken down regionally.

Yup, in Phoenix you can buy a brand new house for little more than the price of a cup of coffee. It seems the seniors down there over extended themselves....typical!

search.phoenixhomes.com/detai...&PageID=109116 (external - login to view)
 

Similar Threads

1
Commentary on the younger generation?
by Goober | Jun 25th, 2011
no new posts