Mental health facilities for women lacking.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just heard on C.B.C. news that there are several times more mental facilities for men than women across Canada and 1/3 of female inmates in prisons are mentally ill. Perhaps there's another project Harpy can look at before building yet more prisons.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This isn't the first time you've heard of it or just first time from someone else? I've been complaining about this for months.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This isn't the first time you've heard of it or just first time from someone else? I've been complaining about this for months.

I've heard a lot of general comments which I felt were correct, just didn't have numbers before. If 1/3 of female inmates are mentally ill perhaps 1/3 of male inmates are also mentally ill. While I thought Harpy was building bunkers to house vicious offenders I was behind him. Now it seems he wants to incarcerate more of the normal population. I think it's smart to treat mental cases before they DO become criminal cases.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Jeezuz christ...don't get me started on mental illness. The entire way it is handled needs to change. My wife started showing signs of dementia years ago and she was finally admitted to the hospital when she assaulted her father. She was given the choice of getting in the car and going to the hospital or the police station. She chose the hospital.

She was kept in the hospital for a month while they observed her and finally came up with a clinical diagnosis. Then they said there is nothing they can do and released her. Dealing with her has been next to impossible because in order to take over decision making for her you need to have guardianship/trusteeship and in order to get that, you need to have a doctor say she is incompetent or a danger to herself or others . In order for that to happen she has to willingly go to a doctor or try to hurt herself/somebody. She fought going to the doctor for years and fortunately she was too frail and weak to actually hurt her father.

The ridiculous thing about it is that the people around her knew what was going on, knew she was deteriorating and new she was in danger but could do absolutely nothing because she didn't want to see a doctor.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've heard a lot of general comments which I felt were correct, just didn't have numbers before. If 1/3 of female inmates are mentally ill perhaps 1/3 of male inmates are also mentally ill. While I thought Harpy was building bunkers to house vicious offenders I was behind him. Now it seems he wants to incarcerate more of the normal population. I think it's smart to treat mental cases before they DO become criminal cases.

I know a 'kid' who will spend the rest of his life in jail because he was brain damaged/mentally ill. It's unfortunate to see. I first met him when he was around 12. He'd come work for my hubby, splitting wood, picking garbage, helping with assorted projects around the acreage. We'd pay him well, even though he needed constant supervision. As a toddler he'd been beaten and starved so badly that his brain had stopped developing by around 6 years old. He was a bubbly kid with tons of energy and love to give. Then, he grew into a man, with all the urges that come with that, all that love to still give, and the mental capacity of a 6 year old behind his decision making processes on how to express that to the world. A couple incidents grabbing at women on the city bus landed him in jail, confused, angry, embarassed, he lashed out. The court sentenced him to custody until such a time as he can control his urges. They've chemically castrated and drugged him into oblivion. He will spend the rest of his life behind bars, a 'criminal'. And his story is not unique.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For 20+ years, every single day I've been listening to and see what it's all really like from someone who has been working the front lines.

Most of it is heart breaking, secondly it's successes and falling in third is the shocking. I've heard and see it all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I know a 'kid' who will spend the rest of his life in jail because he was brain damaged/mentally ill. It's unfortunate to see. I first met him when he was around 12. He'd come work for my hubby, splitting wood, picking garbage, helping with assorted projects around the acreage. We'd pay him well, even though he needed constant supervision. As a toddler he'd been beaten and starved so badly that his brain had stopped developing by around 6 years old. He was a bubbly kid with tons of energy and love to give. Then, he grew into a man, with all the urges that come with that, all that love to still give, and the mental capacity of a 6 year old behind his decision making processes on how to express that to the world. A couple incidents grabbing at women on the city bus landed him in jail, confused, angry, embarassed, he lashed out. The court sentenced him to custody until such a time as he can control his urges. They've chemically castrated and drugged him into oblivion. He will spend the rest of his life behind bars, a 'criminal'. And his story is not unique.

Very sad, is nobody paying attention?