MacKay blunders again....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Just in time for the last QP of the year, it's ... Peter MacKay's $1,452 a night hotel tab?

Courtesy of those ever-industrious ATIP dataminers at the Canadian Taxpayers Federation comes the opposition-outrage-ready revelation that Defence Minister Peter MacKay racked up thousands of dollars in hotel bills during trips to Munich and Istanbul last year.

From the CTF release:

Defence Minister Peter MacKay charged taxpayers $2,904 for a two-night stay at the luxurious Bayerischer Hof when he went to a security conference in Munich, Germany in February of 2010. MacKay arrived in Munich after attending an informal meeting of NATO defence ministers in Turkey, where he billed taxpayers $2,310 for a three-night stay at Istanbul's Ceylon Intercontinental Hotel. At $1,452 and $770 a night respectively, these room tabs go far beyond what most taxpayers would consider reasonable.

In Munich, MacKay's staff stayed at the Munich Park Hilton, an eight-minute cab ride away, for $239 a night. In Istanbul, MacKay's staff stayed in the same hotel, but paid $276 per night.

Read the full post -- and check out the supporting documents -- right here.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
How did you get to this before me? ;)

That is a sweet place, btw..

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One would almost think MacKay does these things on purpose, like it was some kind of subliminal revenge on Harper
for beating him in the leadership race. The Conservatives like to brag about their supposed superior fiscal responsibility
compared to the Liberals. It's getting harder to tell them apart. This probably won't help.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The official response is that the trip was was for business reasons (a convention).

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Your cooking expertise will always be unparalleled. ;)

sukkin up won't help ya. ;-)

It's my eating that is giving me problems. I swear I can gain weight by just looking at food...It's all part of
a conspiracy...;-)

Lost 8 lbs in Nov. Went out to cut and pile some wood last week. Lasted about an hour, and just could walk to the house..........barely. Just did all the doctor test things and I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in.

Took a day off from it and ate some steak, gravy, mashed potatoes. Big breakfast next morning. Did the job in slightly over two hours and still felt good.

Gonna work, gotta eat. Guess I'm always gonna be a big bastard......................sorry mom. Speaking figuratively.