Another Shooting?? Shocking !! (not)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
What's your point? A woman was shot in Toronto last night or do you only paste stories about shootings in the US?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wonder if she'd have the nerve to say the same thing if any of our Canadian colleges had repeat shootings?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I wonder if she'd have the nerve to say the same thing if any of our Canadian colleges had repeat shootings?

If I see such news, I would definately post it. That is not the issue. The issue is that the culture of violence is quite prevelant in the US. Either that........or the media sure makes it seem that way. Each such incident is dramatized to the nth degree , analysed and re analysed........ with no change in overall policy........Until the next shooting.

Any shootings in Canada,, UK, European countries are just as horrific and barbaric. That is a no brainer. They just handle it differently and don't dramatize the event into some form of celeb status. That is the secondary gain for these shooters. They usually are people who feel like losers, have gone from crisis to crisis, or are emotionally so disturbed, this is the only way they think they can make their mark . It is the inner pathology that is relavent as is the whole gun issue.

Don't think Canadians or the Brits love their guns any where near as much as the US population. You can't attend a bridge game without ladies having little guns in their purses. When that level of gun worship exists in Canada , it will be the object for condemnation too.

How sad, to see the responses that are nothing but knee jerk reactions to the poster as opposed to the topic. Also how predictable.What is really sad, is that said posters have nothing of substance to contribute......so poster bashing fills in the void.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How sad, to see the responses that are nothing but knee jerk reactions to the poster as opposed to the topic. Also how predictable.What is really sad, is that said posters have nothing of substance to contribute......so poster bashing fills in the void.

It had nothing to do with the poster, or even the post, and everything to do with the title. It was a gloat. A gloat over a shooting. I'm curious if you'd gloat equally if the same thing happened at Dawson College again? Or at Ecole Polytechnique?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
The lockdown at Virginia Tech has been lifted hours after after two people, including a police officer, were killed on campus.

The Virginia Tech police officer was shot and killed just after noon after making a routine traffic stop, school officials say.

Witnesses said the shooter fled on foot toward a parking lot. A body was later found at that lot. Virginia Tech reported on its website that a weapon was found near the body.

source: CNN breaking news mailing.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Why is it a shock? We've had similar shootings here. We don't have the population of the US therefore our crime rate isn't as bad, but it still happens.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
If I see such news, I would definately post it. That is not the issue. The issue is that the culture of violence is quite prevelant in the US. Either that........or the media sure makes it seem that way. Each such incident is dramatized to the nth degree , analysed and re analysed........ with no change in overall policy........Until the next shooting.

Any shootings in Canada,, UK, European countries are just as horrific and barbaric. That is a no brainer. They just handle it differently and don't dramatize the event into some form of celeb status. That is the secondary gain for these shooters. They usually are people who feel like losers, have gone from crisis to crisis, or are emotionally so disturbed, this is the only way they think they can make their mark . It is the inner pathology that is relavent as is the whole gun issue.

Don't think Canadians or the Brits love their guns any where near as much as the US population. You can't attend a bridge game without ladies having little guns in their purses. When that level of gun worship exists in Canada , it will be the object for condemnation too.

Good Lord!

Nobody "worships" guns.

The murder rate in the USA in 2010 was 4.8 per 100,000.
The murder rate worldwide in 2010 was 6.9 per 100,000.

The United States is a very peaceful and lawful place to live, all in all.

You don't have a clue.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
It had nothing to do with the poster, or even the post, and everything to do with the title. It was a gloat. A gloat over a shooting. I'm curious if you'd gloat equally if the same thing happened at Dawson College again? Or at Ecole Polytechnique?

A GLOAT??? are you NUTS???? If you interpret that as a gloat........then you have some serious comprehension problems.

What it is is SARCASM. Sarcasm as shootings in the US have become part of daily life.

Where is hell is anyone GLOATING?? That is utter nonsense.........but it explains a lot. about how quick some resort to their knee jerk responses when that is not even the topic.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
source: CNN breaking news mailing.

You want an answer to the topic, OK. I live in Florida where it is pretty easy to get a weapon. I know of no one who carry's their weapon all the time (except off duty police officers). Just because we can does not mean we do. You are right though, nothing like the sound and feel of a .45. You did not have to show your source, I believe you, it happens.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Good Lord!

Nobody "worships" guns.

The murder rate in the USA in 2010 was 4.8 per 100,000.
The murder rate worldwide in 2010 was 6.9 per 100,000.

The United States is a very peaceful and lawful place to live, all in all.

You don't have a clue.

YOu were doing fine until your last statement. IS making it personal so important to you. Is putting down other posters so critical for you to feel important and superior.???

shameful;

and the US is NOT a peaceful place to live. (I have lived there.....and know from experience) About "worshipping" guns. You bet they do. Have you ever been at a ladies bridge club in the US where the middle ages ladies bring out their little guns and compare them, stroke them as if they were pets.

even that isn't the point. The point is : the culture of violence that is simmering and can erupt into an out of control situation. What about the VICTIMS of these shootings.?? (of all such shootings) Everyone gets in a flap over the shooter......the gun policy surfaces briefly , with little respect and caring for the victims............UNLESS of course they are celebs of sorts.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A GLOAT??? are you NUTS???? If you interpret that as a gloat........then you have some serious comprehension problems.

What it is is SARCASM. Sarcasm as shootings in the US have become part of daily life.

Where is hell is anyone GLOATING?? That is utter nonsense.........but it explains a lot. about how quick some resort to their knee jerk responses when that is not even the topic.

I wonder what pattern we would see if all your threads were posted topic by topic. No I do not wonder at all.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Dead on Karrie!

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I wonder what pattern we would see if all your threads were posted topic by topic. No I do not wonder at all.

do YOU KNOW and COMPREHEND what STICK to the TOPIC means???

the title does not even say anything about the US. But the knee jerkers anti OB folks are out in rabid packs .The OB haters form a forum subculture and all it takes is a post that is contorversial.......to bring out the gnashing teeth.

Wow......shameful.

Dead on Karrie!

OFF TOPIC. try and concentrate..... People get KILLED in these incidents. what about the victims??

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Shootings are a daily part of life in Canada too.

You imply with your title that you could see it coming, you knew it was going to happen, that it's not a surprise to you. That's a gloat. If you're curious why people are reacting poorly to the thread, there it is.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

the title does not even say anything about the US. But the knee jerkers anti OB folks are out in rabid packs .The OB haters form a forum subculture and all it takes is a post that is contorversial.......to bring out the gnashing teeth.

Wow......

OFF TOPIC. try and concentrate..... People get KILLED in these incidents. what about the victims??

Wow - Then I must be a God Dammed Sinner -

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
YOu were doing fine until your last statement. IS making it personal so important to you. Is putting down other posters so critical for you to feel important and superior.???

shameful;

and the US is NOT a peaceful place to live.

It certainly is, in a relative sense.......the stats prove it.

We in Canada are fortunate to have one of the lowest murder rates on earth, at 1.6 per 100,000.

But step over the US southern border into Mexico.......and the rate is 18.0 per 100,000.

Take another step over Mexico's southern border, and the murder rate in Guatemala is 41.0 per 100,000 and Belize is 42.0 per 100,000.

Take one more step south into El Salvador....murder rate 66.0 per 100,000........or it's neighbour Honduras, murder rate 78.0 per 100,000.

That is a full 16 times the US rate.

The USA is a peaceful place to live.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Wow......

I don't know you froma hole in the ground, let alone hate you. Your thread title gave an impression. Don't like it, perhaps you might want to think of what you MEANT to say, and have the mods change it. Right now, that is the only personal words from you on the subject. They imply that it's to be expected and scoffed at because you don't like the US's mentality.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I don't know you froma hole in the ground, let alone hate you. Your thread title gave an impression. Don't like it, perhaps you might want to think of what you MEANT to say, and have the mods change it. Right now, that is the only personal words from you on the subject. They imply that it's to be expected and scoffed at because you don't like the US's mentality.

I meant to say exactly what I said. And yes.........shootings ARE predictable in a culture of violence. and aggression.

It was just a matter of time. If that is gloating in your world...........so be it.

In mine........it is a horrible testimony to a society on the rocks and one that even all the security systems are not able to control.

In my world ..........when something occurrs with monotonous regularity .........RED FLAGS go up.

How folks react to a topic is THEIR CHOICE. AS LONG AS THEY STICK TO the TOPIC.

Let me ask:

are folks surprised that another shooting incident occurred??

be honest with yourselves. Will folks be surprised when another one occurrs??

and Karrie: as you said " you don't know me from a hole in the ground. so you are taking extensive liberties when you try to tell me what I think of the US mentality. If you want to discuss US menatility .......great...........start a topic to that effect. I will happily answer that question.

thanks.