Another Shooting?? Shocking !! (not)

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean BreezeView Post

I want to know what they think about the various issues that arise on this planet daily and where they think the humanoid is going .

No you don't. You want platitudes, props and like minded thoughts that support your myopic world view.

Quote:

Ya know....thinking stuff. Idea stuff.

You don't like ideas. You like like minded opinions.

Corduroy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

No preconception, or imagination, I find most of your posts to be well thought out and fairly sterile in nature. The one I quoted, as well as a few others as of late, seem emotionally charged.

Just an observation.

You're confusing emotion for mockery. There isn't much difference between my mockery of the war on Christmas crowd and the millenarian disaster fetishists, which I'm sure you've seen. Too bad there aren't any libertarians around here. That's when I really shine

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

You're confusing emotion for mockery. There isn't much difference between my mockery of the war on Christmas crowd and the millenarian disaster fetishists, which I'm sure you've seen. Too bad there aren't any libertarians around here. That's when I really shine

Why the War on people who celebrate Christmas. Seems somewhat well I will leave it at that.

Colpy

How in heck is one to know (or assume ) how one celebrates the holidays and IF one does. on a forum like this. Most of the time we have no idea what gender a member is. Furthermore.......on a personal level......I do NOT want to know too many personal details about anyone here. I want to know what they think about the various issues that arise on this planet daily and where they think the humanoid is going . Ya know....thinking stuff. Idea stuff. What makes the world and people tick stuff...

See post 44....substance.

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Why the War on people who celebrate Christmas. Seems somewhat well I will leave it at that.

Wha..?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

You're confusing emotion for mockery.

I'll take your word for it, but the contempt that shines through, seems emotional to me.

Quote:

There isn't much difference between my mockery of the war on Christmas crowd and the millenarian disaster fetishists, which I'm sure you've seen.

I would otherwise agree, if there was no redeeming qualities in the former. Which the latter truly lacks.

]quote]Too bad there aren't any libertarians around here. That's when I really shine [/QUOTE]I bet you do.

taxslave
+2

do YOU KNOW and COMPREHEND what STICK to the TOPIC means

the title does not even say anything about the US. But the knee jerkers anti OB folks are out in rabid packs .The OB haters form a forum subculture and all it takes is a post that is contorversial.......to bring out the gnashing teeth.

Wow......shameful.

OFF TOPIC. try and concentrate..... People get KILLED in these incidents. what about the victims??

You are far too conceited. NO one here hates you. You are not worth the amount of energy required. Pity would be a more accurate word.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

You are far too conceited. NO one here hates you. You are not worth the amount of energy required. Pity would be a more accurate word.

and have a nice day. (but as I am so unworthy of any energy.....you seem to be expending some anyhow. Does you make sense to you???

thanks for your input anyhow.

any updates on the shooting incident?? How are the victims doing??? What a horrific way to end a year. (for all concerned)

JLM
+3
I say "Merry Christmas" and if they don't like it.......................too bad!

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Good Lord!

Nobody "worships" guns.

The murder rate in the USA in 2010 was 4.8 per 100,000.
The murder rate worldwide in 2010 was 6.9 per 100,000.

The United States is a very peaceful and lawful place to live, all in all.

You don't have a clue.

Not sure that comparing the US stats with the entire world stats makes any point.

Might make more relavance to compare the US with an nation that has the closest common denominators.

Otherwise.......one could say that the murder rate world wide is less significant (considering the violent countries that are included ) than that of the US.

Now........ the point is not MURDER stats. the point is SHOOTING incidents.

Just saying.

Colpy
+3

Not sure that comparing the US stats with the entire world stats makes any point.

Might make more relavance to compare the US with an nation that has the closest common denominators.

Otherwise.......one could say that the murder rate world wide is less significant (considering the violent countries that are included ) than that of the US.

Now........ the point is not MURDER stats. the point is SHOOTING incidents.

Just saying.

So, murder victims are less dead if not killed by guns?

Your claim is the availibility of guns causes murder.

The facts belie this.

That is substance.......

gore0bsessed

Good Lord!

Nobody "worships" guns.

Haha, very untrue.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I say "Merry Christmas" and if they don't like it.......................too bad!

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

Shooting reported at Chardon High School near Cleveland, Ohio, local law enforcement officer says.

Breaking news : CNN.

(there have been quite a few others recently as well).

"not shocking" as most have become innured to these "events" as passing news . Astonishing example of what the human mind can adapt to. Or just getting more jaded in current times??? at what point does this become the "norm" as opposed to the unusual??

Which odds are greater??? getting shot in the US by some nutter or being attacked by some "terrorist"???

Just askin'

DaSleeper

Breaking news : CNN.

(there have been quite a few others recently as well).

"not shocking" as most have become innured to these "events" as passing news . Astonishing example of what the human mind can adapt to. Or just getting more jaded in current times??? at what point does this become the "norm" as opposed to the unusual??

Which odds are greater??? getting shot in the US by some nutter or being attacked by some "terrorist"???

Just askin'

Wrong thread.....see forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...ting-ohio.html (external - login to view)

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

Breaking News Alert

The New York Times

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 -- 1:25 PM EST

-----
Third Student Dies After Shooting at High School in Ohio

Two more victims of a shooting rampage on Monday at a high school outside of Cleveland have died, the authorities said Tuesday.

self explanatory...

Colpy

Penn and Teller - Gun Free Zones - YouTube

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

Bill Maher: Guns are a religion in America

Bill Maher: Guns are a religion in America | The Raw Story (external - login to view)

he is absolutely right.

Colpy
+2

Bill Maher: Guns are a religion in America | The Raw Story (external - login to view)

he is absolutely right.

Bill Maher is an idiot.

Nobody worships firearms.

People love guns in the same way they love books, or fast cars, or trainsets, or baseball memoribilia, or whatever else catches their fancy.

People do love freedom, and some give the US Bill of Rights the same respect given religious texts. That is a good thing.

Bill Maher should read it, with special attention to the Second Amendment, and in the company of an English teacher and a historian to tell him what it means.

Bill Maher's religion is stupidity.

MHz

Bill Maher's religion is stupidity.

You have apparently not seen his docudrama

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchv7f8fMmMhwRg

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

You have apparently not seen his docudrama

httpwwwyoutubecomwatchv7f8fMmMhwRg

But he's funny!

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

But he's funny!

That's because he's a comedian and comedic political pundit.

Anyone that takes him seriously, is an idiot too.

Ocean Breeze
Bill is STUPID?? What asteroid does the author of that comment live on??

He is on target with just about all his comments. And THAT is why folks who think he is stupid demonstrate they cannot handle the realities of his statements.

Yes...guns ARE worshipped in the US. Just as they are with those that love wars.

If they were not worshipped.......you would not have the number of owners brag about their gun collections........as if it is an extension of their own person hood.

If they were not worshipped to the point of being a religion .... they would not be so prevelant with so many people.

Heck......even little aging ladies show off their pearl handled "cute" guns at their bridge game. ( I know...I saw it happen)This NOT a one off.

Of course gun owners LOVE their weapons........and display them for the treasures they believe them to be. Such love of inanimate objects is perverse at best. Such love can turn into fanaticism which is a componant of all religions.

There is no harm in admitting the truth about what guns mean to the american mindset. It is a humongous part of the US culture.

In the meantime most are getting or have gotten used to hearing about shootings. That is part of the desentization that happens

Bill speaks the truth.......something most simply do not want to hear. So they bash him , making him an object of their disdain. Anyone that thinks differently.........or THINKS is a threat to the american gun loving mindset.

In reality , I am surprised that he has not been a shooting target.......as he cuts so close to the raw truth. )

Colpy
+1

Bill is STUPID?? What asteroid does the author of that comment live on??

He is on target with just about all his comments. And THAT is why folks who think he is stupid demonstrate they cannot handle the realities of his statements.

Yes...guns ARE worshipped in the US. Just as they are with those that love wars.

If they were not worshipped.......you would not have the number of owners brag about their gun collections........as if it is an extension of their own person hood.

If they were not worshipped to the point of being a religion .... they would not be so prevelant with so many people.

Heck......even little aging ladies show off their pearl handled "cute" guns at their bridge game. ( I know...I saw it happen)This NOT a one off.

Of course gun owners LOVE their weapons........and display them for the treasures they believe them to be. Such love of inanimate objects is perverse at best. Such love can turn into fanaticism which is a componant of all religions.

There is no harm in admitting the truth about what guns mean to the american mindset. It is a humongous part of the US culture.

In the meantime most are getting or have gotten used to hearing about shootings. That is part of the desentization that happens

Bill speaks the truth.......something most simply do not want to hear. So they bash him , making him an object of their disdain. Anyone that thinks differently.........or THINKS is a threat to the american gun loving mindset.

In reality , I am surprised that he has not been a shooting target.......as he cuts so close to the raw truth. )

I've had distain for Bill Maher and have recognized him as a moron ever since he hosted the most politically correct show on earth......Politically Incorrect. The man has never had an original thought.

Once again, people enjoy weapons, respect them, value the freedom to have and use them, and love them in the same way people love whatever it is they are in to.....

But it is hardly a religion.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

It had nothing to do with the poster, or even the post, and everything to do with the title. It was a gloat. A gloat over a shooting. I'm curious if you'd gloat equally if the same thing happened at Dawson College again? Or at Ecole Polytechnique?

gloating over a shooting??? You really don't "get it" do you??? The point of the title is to indicate that the frequency of the shootings are literally becoming common place and not out of the ordinary as they should be. We should NOT be exposed to the number of shootings and killings that are taking place . Such frequency indicates some serious symptomology in a society where guns and aggression rules.

But......folks just gotta have those guns. Fine. No problem with that. as long as they are prepared to accept the reality of a gun culture and the consequences that can & do take place.

How many more innocent victims of shootings must take place before folks wake up to the real issue and address it. Or has the gun culture become so jaded and innured to the shootings/killings that they are hardly a ripple in their collective consciousness??

It is a challenging issue with many layers to it.

Colby: It all depends on how you define "religion". The fact that the gun culture is so fanatical makes it a "religion "

Naturally views about such a hot button issue will vary.

earth_as_one
The US is number 13 for number of firearm deaths per capita. A little better than Mexico and little worse than the Philippines:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Canada has half the rate of the US. If you eliminate suicides, Canada has about 1/5 the rate of murders and unintentional deaths as the US.

Ocean Breeze
Thanks, earth.

Stats do speak volumes too. But they don't measure attitudes towards gun ownership and other abstract factors surrounding the issue. There is a certain psychology that surrounds the gun culture.

Quote:

Student T.J. Lane has been charged on six counts related to Monday's shooting at Chardon High School in Ohio, according to court documents.
The charges against the 17-year-old sophomore -- filed in juvenile court -- were three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder and one count of felonious assault.

source: CNN breaking news mailing.

when this happens in schools......it is tragic on so many levels.

EagleSmack
+2

gloating over a shooting???

Yes, you are gloating as always. Taking advantage of other's pain to spew your message of hate.

Quote:

You really don't "get it" do you??? .

We all get it. You're a miserable sick person.

skookumchuck
+1
It was obvious to me that this was a thinly veiled attack on gun ownership. Rather than attempt to argue that point which is pizzing in an ocean, i would ask how many schools and students there are and what is the percentage of shootings per capita as opposed to drug deaths for example? How is the "war on drugs" working? Not by any means to play down a terrible atrocity at all here, but questioning if the "cure" would work.
Is a death by firearm more a tragedy than the recent numerous deaths due to ecstasy?
There is also a "certain psychology" regarding the penchant for some to proclaim that the sky is falling for any firearms incident. Pity they leave out even more real and common dangers.
Orwell had his dates mixed up.

earth_as_one
+2
Anyone without a violent crime conviction should be able to possess a firearm including a handgun after taking a course in firearm safety and passing a practical test demonstrating competence and responsibility. Only then should a person a permit to own firearms. The permit should be as tough to get as a driver's license.

I am not against sane, competent, responsible people owning firearms. I am against insane, incompetent, irresponsible people having access to firearms.

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

The US is number 13 for number of firearm deaths per capita. A little better than Mexico and little worse than the Philippines:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

Canada has half the rate of the US. If you eliminate suicides, Canada has about 1/5 the rate of murders and unintentional deaths as the US.

Considering the USA has the most firearms per capita in the hands of private citizens, with few controls, 13th ain't bad.......

But, once again, I have to point out that the use of firearms deaths (as opposed to murder/suicide/accident statistics) is both misleading and irrelevant. The use of such stats is a ploy by gun control advocates to con the general public.

The premise is that the very presence of firearms is a cause of murder, and suicide. Yet the United States has a murder rate significantly lower than the world average, despite being awash in guns.........and the suicide rate in the US is low as well, lower than that in Canada.

To use your own example, the murder rate in Mexico is 18.0 per 100,000 (2010).....the rate in the USA is 4.8 per 100,000 (also 2010) A little different than "a little better" isn't it?

So, if you wish to be taken seriously, and have a point aside from anti-gun propaganda, you have to dump firearms related from the suicide/murder equation.