It's about Flippin' Time.....Japanese government apologizes to Canada’s World War II

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Japanese government apologized Thursday for the mistreatment of captured Canadian soldiers during the Second World War.
Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney acknowledged the apology while leading a delegation of veterans to Japan. It was delivered by Toshiyuki Kato, Japan’s parliamentary vice-minister for foreign affairs.

“This important gesture is a crucial step in ongoing reconciliation and a significant milestone in the lives of all prisoners of war. It acknowledges their suffering while honouring their sacrifices and courage,” Mr. Blaney said in a statement.

Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said the apology would help in healing the “terrible pain and heavy burden of the Second World War.” Mr. Baird said it would allow both countries to move forward.

Soldiers were taken captive after being forced to surrender Christmas Day 1941 after fierce fighting in the Battle of Hong Kong where 290 Canadians were killed and another 493 were wounded. Prisoners in Japanese POW camps were subjected to gross mistreatment by their captors.

Canadians, and other Allied soldiers, captured by Japanese forces were subjected to forced labour, starvation and beatings. Before the end of the war, 267 men died in captivity.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Maybe someday we'll apologize to the Germans, then we could apologize to the Afghans and the Iraqis and the Libyans and the Syrians.

Maybe someday someone will apologize to starved and murdered German POWs someday, maybe we will apologize for the sixty million dead Gulag Russians someday. Maybe apology for war will mean something someday.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
How did Japan phrase the apology?
"We are heartily sorry for treating you as cowards for your surrendering rather than dying honourably."

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It's always refreshing when a Country apologizes for the actions of a bunch of dead people.

Thanks Japan. You still deserved to be bombed.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is all good.

I wonder.....have they apologized to China for Nanking??

It's always refreshing when a Country apologizes for the actions of a bunch of dead people.

Well, better late than never.

And they are a liberal democracy now.......thanks to MacArthur.......that must drive the anti-Americans whacko!!! or more whacko.....

Looked it up.....apologies, I mean....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

I agree with you, but I also think the apology is important and thoughtful and shows I hope, how much
progress has been made over the years, compared to those horrible times.

I wonder how many were killed during the initial bombing of pearl harbour, which in 20/20 hindsight
was definitely not a great idea, as after the dust settled, what they did on that day came back at
them, multiplied by many, and still their 'emperor' was left to be the leader over his people, something
that didn't have to be, but helped the people begin to rebuild.

The arrogance of such a decision (to bomb pearl harbour) will never happen again, that type of mindset
lives no more in japan.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I agree with you, but I also think the apology is important and thoughtful and shows I hope, how much
progress has been made over the years, compared to those horrible times.

I wonder how many were killed during the initial bombing of pearl harbour, which in 20/20 hindsight
was definitely not a great idea, as after the dust settled, what they did on that day came back at
them, multiplied by many, and still their 'emperor' was left to be the leader over his people, something
that didn't have to be, but helped the people begin to rebuild.

The arrogance of such a decision (to bomb pearl harbour) will never happen again, that type of mindset
lives no more in japan.

2,459 dead, 57 civilians, the rest military.

More were killed on 9-11.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Sokurov`s movie `The Sun` (2005) portrays Emperor Showa (Hirohito) during the final days of the Second World War. This movie, although filmed largely in Japanese, was not distributed widely in Japan for fear of right-wing demonstrations protesting Issey Ogata`s brilliant portrayal of Hirohito. Five Stars ***** or more!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is all good.

I wonder.....have they apologized to China for Nanking??

I've read that they don't acknowledge most of what happened at Nanking. Japan has been very slow to own up to what happened during the war compared to Germany.

In any case I dont see the point in a government comprised of people who hadnt been born yet apologizing for events they had nothing to do with. The people who were responsible likely went to their graves without any remorse.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Now if only the Japanese would remove the memorial to those World War II leaders the Allies consider war criminals they might actually be taken seriously; that and actually teaching something in Japanese schools about Japan's actual part in the war beside Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I've read that they don't acknowledge most of what happened at Nanking.

I read a few years back where text books which mentioned those horrors were removed from schools. It is shocking that these denials continue and that the government there was not forced to compensate the victims.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Maybe someday we'll apologize to the Germans, then we could apologize to the Afghans and the Iraqis and the Libyans and the Syrians.

Maybe someday someone will apologize to starved and murdered German POWs someday, maybe we will apologize for the sixty million dead Gulag Russians someday. Maybe apology for war will mean something someday.
Don't see that happening really when it would mean the Rothschild Klan would have to apologize for 100M dead and sending the world into perpetually increasing debt.

I guess that the Japanese citizens of today will be getting an apology ,for the radiation poisioning they are enduring these days, from the Gov sometime in 2080.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I had a great uncle who was captured in Hong Kong. He was so bitter that in 1985 he bought a new car and made Chrysler put in writing that none of the parts were made in Japan. I learned from him that focusing too much on the past can rob you of your present and future.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I had a great uncle who was captured in Hong Kong. He was so bitter that in 1985 he bought a new car and made Chrysler put in writing that none of the parts were made in Japan. I learned from him that focusing too much on the past can rob you of your present and future.

Yeah, well.......four years being beaten, abused, starved and worked to the edge of death while watching your friends die around you will do that to you