Hate crime charges considered against teen

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Not much mention of assault here. I suppose now the police consider insults worse that physical assault. Could be why it's taken the police in Vancouver so much time to charge the rioters from the Canuck riot in June. It is like they won't even get a conviction for assault. Losers.

Hate crime charges considered against teen - Crime - Canoe.ca

By James Turner, QMI Agency

WINNIPEG - Manitoba Justice is considering hate-crime-related charges in the case of a Winnipeg high school student accused of lighting a Jewish girl's hair on fire with a lighter after spewing anti-Semitic comments at her.

The boy, 15, was suspended from Oak Park High School last week and arrested by police who charged him with assault with a weapon. He has since been withdrawn from the school by his guardian, the Superintendent of Education for the Pembina Trails School Division said Monday.

According to Lawrence Lussier, the attack happened in a hallway after the end of classes on Nov. 19. Due to the time it happened, there were no staff around to witness the event nor put a stop to it, he said.

The victim — who police say was uninjured — reported it to school officials at the start of the next school week, he said. Police said they were notified and began investigating on Nov. 25.

“The victim and her friends are concerned and shaken and we are offering counselling to whoever may need it,” said Lussier. Const. Rob Carver said the attack came from “out of nowhere,” and is unlike anything he's ever seen in his two decades as a police officer.

Of key concern is the age of the accused boy, Carver said. “This is very young to be holding such hardened racist views,” he said.
The Crown's office, not police, must authorize any hate-related charges due to their nature, Carver said. The police file is currently under review by prosecutors.

Lussier said the school division is sending letters to all Oak Park parents and guardians to inform them of what happened and what measures officials are taking.
The school has an ongoing character education program that has been active for a couple years, he said, and officials will be putting further focus on that program.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Batting a thousand... another fail. The kid HAS been charged with assault with a weapon. Only the Crown can prefer hate related charges, and they are reviewing the file. In the mean time the kid is facing assault charges.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
No mention of assault charges on the CBC either tonight.

You're missing the point. The point is, why is the media and police so obssessed about bogus hate crimes? A dangerous punk threatened a girl, lit her hair on fire, and all the media can think about is race. There's no such thing as race of course, it's not scientifically proven, but the media uses every opportunity it can to talk it up. We Canadians are so bad.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
WINNIPEG - Manitoba Justice is considering hate-crime-related charges in the case of a Winnipeg high school student accused of lighting a Jewish girl's hair on fire with a lighter after spewing anti-Semitic comments at her.

No mention of assault charges on the CBC either tonight.

You're missing the point. The point is, why is the media and police so obssessed about bogus hate crimes? A dangerous punk threatened a girl, lit her hair on fire, and all the media can think about is race. There's no such thing as race of course, it's not scientifically proven, but the media uses every opportunity it can to talk it up. We Canadians are so bad.

No, you are the one that seems to be missing the point. See the part in red? That's why they are looking at hate crime charges. In the mean time, the boy has been charged with assault. As I pointed out already, the Police can not prefer hate crime charges, only Crown Counsel can do that.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No, you are the one that seems to be missing the point. See the part in red? That's why they are looking at hate crime charges. In the mean time, the boy has been charged with assault. As I pointed out already, the Police can not prefer hate crime charges, only Crown Counsel can do that.

I don't like the concept of Thought Crime.

Charge the little arsehole with assault with a weapon, and be done with it.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Yea but isnt there an issue about intent. Did he intend to hurt this girl because she was jewish or did he just randomly attack someone for no reason. Was she targetted because she was part of an ethnic group?

If she was assulted and it wasnt known or not proven the perpetrator said a hateful comment about a particular ethnic group or wasnt targetting a specific group and he was still charged with a hate crime then i may be suspect of calling it a hate crime. But the cat appears to be out of the hat. In my opinion

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Well, from the cheap seats...

I view many of these hate crimes in a similar fashion that I view gun crimes (and I know Colpy will love this...): does it make a difference if you kill someone with a gun, poison or knife? They're still dead, so is killing someone one more serious than killing them in another? An assault like this, my (layman's) understanding of the law is that lighting someone on fire is assault with the weapon, and uttering the profanities (whether about her age, sex, ethnicity or shoe size for that matter) is also another form of assault. Do we need a specific charge to add on to the assaults, to make them more serious or should the motivation be addressed in sentencing, where charges carry ranges of penalties?

I'm not going to lose much sleep about the little sh*thead who did this, one way or another: I hope he enjoys the prison love his tender little butt will rightfully endure...

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Yea but isnt there an issue about intent. Did he intend to hurt this girl because she was jewish or did he just randomly attack someone for no reason. Was she targetted because she was part of an ethnic group?

If she was assulted and it wasnt known or not proven the perpetrator said a hateful comment about a particular ethnic group or wasnt targetting a specific group and he was still charged with a hate crime then i may be suspect of calling it a hate crime. But the cat appears to be out of the hat. In my opinion

Yes, charge to idiot with assault. Keep it simple for the corrupt justice system.

I read in the Vancouver Sun paper that the crown and defense can decide there is no gun in a crime, it can allow a defendant to plead guilty to a lesser crime and get less jail time. Great system here.

Intent is bogus, it allows the crown to play more games. We have libel laws for hate crimes. I've never heard of a hate crime occurring against a straight white male or straight white female. Hate laws are corruption.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Whether it gets entered as a hate crime or not, I seriously doubt the punk that lit the girl's hair on fire will be looking at any serious punishment due to his age. Which is a shame.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Whether it gets entered as a hate crime or not, I seriously doubt the punk that lit the girl's hair on fire will be looking at any serious punishment due to his age. Which is a shame.

Right, then there's that. Being a teen he will likely get off lightly. If it's his first offense I could see a light punishment at times, but if he's dealt with the police before, he laughs off a light punishment. I hope we see some followup here.