Ontario school cancels Christmas concert

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
More social engineering experiments by the 'participation trophy' generation of busybodies.

Parents’ anger as Ontario school replaces Christmas concert with non- denominational February fest

By Matthew Pearson
OTTAWA — Parents have criticized a decision by an Ottawa-area school to cancel its annual Christmas concert and replace it with a non-denominational winter fest – in February.
Much to the dismay of some families, there will be no Christmas concert at Cambridge Public School this year.

Instead, the school — in Embrun, Ont, southeast of Ottawa — will host a holiday-themed craft night later this month and hold a concert in February.

Kelly McParland: Ottawa school right to ban Christmas concert
The school said in a newsletter sent to parents this week that the annual concert is being moved so every student can participate.

“As our school community continues to grow, we welcome more families who do not celebrate Christmas. It is our belief that these students deserve the opportunity to take part in the concert experience too,” says the email, signed by principal Mhairi Rowland.

Nevertheless, traditionalists have balked, saying that the school’s concert was a prime source of Christmas cheer.

“For me and my kids, Christmas is really important,” said Mary Ellen Schellenberg. “I don’t think we should lose out on what we believe in, especially when it’s a small group of people who sit out by choice.”

“If we accept their cultures and beliefs, our culture and beliefs should be accepted as well,” she said.
The mother of three Cambridge students — who also attended the school and remembers with fondness the annual Christmas concert — emailed the principal as soon as she heard about the decision.

Ms. Schellenberg isn’t a religious person, and said people in Canada celebrate the holiday for different reasons. “We can appreciate it without it just being religious.”
Laura Bond said she is shocked by the decision.

For her and her family, the school’s Christmas concert kicks off the holiday season and puts everyone in a festive mood. “It’s just something I thought would never go away,” she said.

Ms. Bond wondered why the concert couldn’t just broaden its musical horizons to include everyone’s traditions. “I have no problem with them putting on a ‘holiday’ concert and celebrating every culture; I would welcome it actually,” she said.

Neither parent is pleased by the school’s alternate plan and say they have no intention of attending the December 15 craft night. “If I wanted to do crafts, we could just do crafts here,” Ms. Bond said.

And while she and Ms. Schellenberg both admit it’s too late to plan a concert this year, they want the school to reconsider bringing it back next year. “I don’t want it to be gone completely,” Ms. Bond said.

A small number of the school’s 206 students don’t celebrate Christmas, the parents say.
That means these children must sit out, sometimes in the principal’s office, while the rest of the students rehearse for the concert — something the principal and staff seem to think is unfair.

Ms. Rowland could not be reached for comment Thursday. But Caroll Carkner, the Upper Canada District School Board trustee for the area, said she supports the school’s decision.

“They’re just taking a different approach,” she said. “They have the children’s best interests at heart.”

Christmas 2011: Ontario school replaces holiday concert with non-denominational February fest | News | National Post

Oh, and Happy Festivus suckers! :p

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is a public school.

If they want to celebrate their false philosophy they can go to a Catholic school.

We should take all religion out of public schools unless there are no other real alternatives - like for Muslims.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is a public school.

If they want to celebrate their false philosophy they can go to a Catholic school.

We should take all religion out of public schools unless there are no other real alternatives - like for Muslims.

It's probably just a rehersal confict with Muslim prayers beeing held at that time in the cafeteria.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
More social engineering experiments by the 'participation trophy' generation of busybodies.

Parents’ anger as Ontario school replaces Christmas concert with non- denominational February fest

By Matthew Pearson
OTTAWA — Parents have criticized a decision by an Ottawa-area school to cancel its annual Christmas concert and replace it with a non-denominational winter fest – in February.
:p

More f***ing idiocy! :roll:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
This is a public school.

Your right the schools are run by the province, the province is part of the government and in our society the church and government are sperate entities... I love christmas but on the other hand i do suppourt the seperation of religon and government.... I love christmas and all christian holidays the same as a muslim enjoys eid al-fitr and Eid al-adha......

If people want to celebrate christmas join a catholic school like i did..... Or at home, like my family does.... But even then Catholic schools are going the way of the American Indian.....

The times they are a changing....

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The vast majority of Christmas celebrations involve santa claus, reindeer, and snow, and have nothing to do with Christian concepts.

Those who argue against Christmas concerts should make sure they are working on Dec 25 and 26, and that they do not give, nor receive, and gifts at that time.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The vast majority of Christmas celebrations involve santa claus, reindeer, and snow, and have nothing to do with Christian concepts.

Those who argue against Christmas concerts should make sure they are working on Dec 25 and 26, and that they do not give, nor receive, and gifts at that time.

The argument is not really about being against concerts simply labelled "Christmas", or how the public changes the meaning of Christmas.

It's about stopping initiatives that promote a particular religious context in a public school when other school boards exist specifically for them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The argument is not really about being against concerts simply labelled "Christmas", or how the public changes the meaning of Christmas.

It's about stopping initiatives that promote a particular religious context in a public school when other school boards exist specifically for them.

So, there are school boards that exist specifically to promote Christmas as a secular early winter festival of santa, snow, reindeer, and presents?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Methinks a few kiddies here need a hug.

Thanks for playing. Now bugger off. :lol:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So, there are school boards that exist specifically to promote Christmas as a secular early winter festival of santa, snow, reindeer, and presents?

Was this Christmas festival promoting santa, snow, reindeer and presents?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Was this Christmas festival promoting santa, snow, reindeer and presents?

I don't know, I'm just going by what you said. You must have all the details.

"The argument is not really about being against concerts simply labelled "Christmas", or how the public changes the meaning of Christmas.

It's about stopping initiatives that promote a particular religious context in a public school when other school boards exist specifically for them."

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I don't know, I'm just going by what you said. You must have all the details.

"The argument is not really about being against concerts simply labelled "Christmas", or how the public changes the meaning of Christmas.

It's about stopping initiatives that promote a particular religious context in a public school when other school boards exist specifically for them."

Okay, I'll give you that.

I assumed that this festival was one of religious promotion.

If it's simply a matter of using the term "Christmas" because we've grown accustomed to using that term, I'm much less concerned about the matter.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
WTF is the matter with people. How many people here do not celebrate Christmas in one form or another; even if it's just to exchange a few presents with family? These half f_cked idiots in these schools with their, "We gotta be inclusive by excluding traditions from our curriculum." should be smacked up side the head.

Bunch of killjoy hypocrites.

Maybe we should take away their Christmas Holidays?

Hmmmmmmmm...

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ms. Bond wondered why the concert couldn’t just broaden its musical horizons to include everyone’s traditions. “I have no problem with them putting on a ‘holiday’ concert and celebrating every culture; I would welcome it actually,” she said.

Sounds like there is at least one adult here that has some common sense about the whole thing.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
WTF is the matter with people. How many people here do not celebrate Christmas in one form or another; even if it's just to exchange a few presents with family? These half f_cked idiots in these schools with their, "We gotta be inclusive by excluding traditions from our curriculum." should be smacked up side the head.

This hypocrisy exists because there are different school boards which have segregated values and those values overlap with public values.

We either need to have all-inclusive educational systems or simply continue to work out what kind of overlap is acceptable in these public institutions.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
This is just it. I ran a Christmas Party a few years ago for a property management company I worked for. You'd be amazed how many Muslims, Sikhs, atheists and even Christians stopped in for a few hours of goodwill and egg nog. If we'd had another hour we could have invaded all the Countries, killed all their leaders and converted them to Christianity.

Vaessen

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2011
I think Christmas should be allowed in public schools. I don't even like Christianity but I still like Christmas. If people don't want to participate then don't. who gives a shyt? Let the masses have their BS story and sing their carols and get a bunch of gifts. Let them have fun in school, school sucks enough to begin with we can't get rid of the few things there that don't suck.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's amazing that you complain about social engineering in a story about a school and then miss the entire point. What the hell do you think schools do, anyway? School is social engineering par excellence.

Swing and a miss on the social engineering, comrade. But you have another conservative sacred cow to shoot for and you completely missed it!

“For me and my kids, Christmas is really important,” said Mary Ellen Schellenberg. “I don’t think we should lose out on what we believe in, especially when it’s a small group of people who sit out by choice.”

Look! A sense of entitlement! She wants the state (boo! hiss!) to provide her with entertainment and a cultural experience. Like her own personal CBC (boo! hiss!). In fact, she feels so entitled to a Christmas concert that her language suggests there would be no Christmas without it! "Where's my art grant?" she might as well be shouting.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
WTF is the matter with people. How many people here do not celebrate Christmas in one form or another; even if it's just to exchange a few presents with family?

I don't. I'd work those days if the place was open. Since i''ve been of age I've always avoided it in all forms.

Xmas was ruined for me by family. Too many bad memories.

They should be celebrating Festivus, now there's a holiday worth celebrating.