Are we getting ruder becoming more abusive?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm just listening to bus drivers being interviewed on C.B.C. radio, virtually all of them reported being verbally abused on a daily basis, spat on occasionally, and beat up frequently. Often when the assaults get reported nothing is done. What's the solution? Pepper spray, a billy club, a gun?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Toronto Transit Drivers claim the same thing. I think with any customer facing job, some abuse is expected, not that I agree with it but it happens. Most transit vehicles have video cameras, which only the police can access in the case of identifying the accused in such cases.

Arming transit drivers would just cause situations like these to become worse. Controlling a bus with fifty people on it is hard enough, trying to do that plus wielding a weapon would be a recipe for disaster.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't know if we are getting more rude and abusive across the board, but in some ways we are. Our tolerance for some foul language seems to have risen, as a society, and a lot of "common courtesies" aren't as common as they perhaps used to be, in part because we do seem to be busier and more insular. How often do you see someone in a downtown area of a city do things like bump into other people because they are preoccupied with the call on their cell or their blackberry? There are still a lot of polite people out there, so please don't take this as an indictment of our society as a whole.

As for transit drivers, if this is a regualr occurence, maybe the cops in the respective cities should send some plain clothes officers on a couple buses for a ride along. Personally, I do think this is something that should be addressed: even in off hours, buses have a higher occupency than any other vehicle on the roads and their mass dictates they can do more damage, if a driver is assaulted whilst the bus is in gear.They may not have to do it much to send a message that abusing bus drivers is a form of assault and will be treated as such.

Vaessen

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2011
It's bound to happen. Lots of idiots out there. I'm getting ruder all the time. You have to.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Id say also across the board people are losing respect for one another. Examples could be found on this forum... People arent in the mode to take the time to understand eachother. Alot of the attitude ive noticed comes from people who feel entitled to something or have a higher sense of self than the other person they are mis treating..... It seems people have something to prove to other people.... The funny thing is that these same people who have a higer sense of self break down like little babies when someone else calls their bluff and feeds them a shot of their own medicine... Sometimes the truth hurts these people who think their high and mighty...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Id say also across the board people are losing respect for one another. Examples could be found on this forum... People arent in the mode to take the time to understand eachother. Alot of the attitude ive noticed comes from people who feel entitled to something or have a higher sense of self than the other person they are mis treating..... It seems people have something to prove to other people.... The funny thing is that these same people who have a higer sense of self break down like little babies when someone else calls their bluff and feeds them a shot of their own medicine... Sometimes the truth hurts these people who think their high and mighty...
Pedestals are made to fall off of.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think to find out if society is getting more abusive, you'd need to look at what public transit in places that have always been highly populated and using public transit heavily, are experiencing. Basically, Canadian cities may simply be going through growing pains.... are NYC bus drivers finding the same increases in abusive customers?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's just a matter of perceptions really. I think just like with many other things, there may be a greater awareness of it coupled with that nostalgic things were better back then attitude. I'm seeing a lot of references to things like an increase in tolerance for foul language, loss of respect for one another, and the like, and I'm not saying that there isn't some truth to it, but I think we filter those types of perceptions with how we viewed society in our youth.

As far as the drivers go, I'm sure they do see some abuses, but I have to wonder as well is it increasing or is it just simply memorable? Do they actually remember the number of people who say "Good Morning" or "Thank you"? Or do they just remember that one guy during the day who tells them to "F off"? Who knows? Certainly most major cities are dealing with big congestion problems, needs have outgrown available services in some areas, so it's quite possible that a increase in frustrations all around may be occuring. But I just tend to take these anecdotes with a grain of salt. I'm sure it is happening, but I'm also pretty sure that it seems way worse than what it probably is as well.

Because that's just human nature, we remember the one jackass and tend to forget the dozen or so decent and moderately polite people we come across.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Today I got on a bus on my way home and the driver is a guy who always greets the passengers as they enter. In turn, everybody treats him very well. Half way through our ride he said he was being reassigned to another part of the transit system and said good bye. We all cheered him --- I made it a point of saying have a wonderful Christmas which others re-echoed. Then we exchanged the words "God bless'' and all had a pleasant ride.

True story.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Today I got on a bus on my way home and the driver is a guy who always greets the passengers as they enter. In turn, everybody treats him very well. Half way through our ride he said he was being reassigned to another part of the transit system and said good bye. We all cheered him --- I made it a point of saying have a wonderful Christmas which others re-echoed. Then we exchanged the words "God bless'' and all had a pleasant ride.

True story.

I love the the good 'ol USA for that. People actually do say "God Bless" to each other without necessarily knowing their faith.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
There are many spiritually oriented people who do not belong to any church. Yet, they are every bit as devotional as any church going person or even more so. Some people feel you must be a regular church attendee in order to be called a true Christian. Yet, I read a blurb the other day (forget where) that I found very amusing: going to church doesn't make you any more of a Christian than does going to a zoo make you an animal. The point being that church attendance doesn't make you Christian - being good to others on a daily basis is the true measure of Christianity.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Are we getting ruder becoming more abusive?
just reading the majority of posts here is a good indication.;)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There are many spiritually oriented people who do not belong to any church. Yet, they are every bit as devotional as any church going person or even more so. Some people feel you must be a regular church attendee in order to be called a true Christian. Yet, I read a blurb the other day (forget where) that I found very amusing: going to church doesn't make you any more of a Christian than does going to a zoo make you an animal. The point being that church attendance doesn't make you Christian - being good to others on a daily basis is the true measure of Christianity.
And you don't even have to be a Christian to be a good Christian. I have known some very pious, humble, caring people who would put most self proclaimed Christians to shame.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
just reading the majority of posts here is a good indication.;)

Yes, it is. And yes, "we" are getting a lot ruder and verbally abusive . Why?? Some of it might related to the constant barrage we get of bad news. Wars, terror, human abuse, child abuse, child molestation. abductions, shootings and the list goes on....

all of the above causes an ongoing ripple of tension........whether we are even aware of it or not. That in turn , causes snap reactions, over reactions, angry outbursts, fowl language, threats etc etc.

The ongoing tensions from the economical problems don't help much either. There is an undercurrent of anger , that if un resolved positively......can erupt into something unknown and frightening.

On line bullying is causing harsh and even deadly results with teen agers who are having one heck of a time anyhow. Being a teen and feeling inadequate as one finds his way around the hormones, the social demands, career decisions, and the pressures to perform well, if not excell is not an easy stage of life.

\We see enough personal bullying here. and one supposes that one is dealing with ADULTS. So the answer is there in neon lights.