Yoga pants banned at Ottawa high school

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Yoga pants banned at Ottawa high school | CTV Ottawa

Students at St. Joseph high school in Barrhaven have been told not to wear popular form-fitting yoga pants unless covered by a long shirt.

According to officials with the high school, most yoga pants are too tight and revealing at the front and back of the pant, which is in violation of the school's dress code.

The school's administration issued the following statement in its daily announcements, according to one student on Facebook:

"Please remind your students that appropriate clothing is required. For our ladies, if they are wearing 'Lulu Lemon' pants or 'jeggins' of sorts, a long shirt covering them is required, otherwise they will be sent home and asked to change . . ."

School officials say students will be given the option to go home and change but if they continue to violate the school's dress code, other disciplinary actions could be taken.

Many female students are risking suspension by rebelling and wearing the pants without shirts that cover their waist.

One parent sent CTV Ottawa a letter she wrote to the school. Kathie Cloutier says administration should be more concerned with the quality of the lessons delivered to students rather than her daughter's appearance.

"This is just as ridiculous as the school that recently banned certain types of balls because a parent got hit in the head with one. If you say it out loud – it really does sound silly – ‘my daughter's high school banned yoga pants,'" wrote Cloutier.

"As far as I'm concerned, if the schools keep pushing these ridiculous rules – all you will succeed in doing is pushing our childrens' interest in school right out the door!"

The Ottawa Catholic School Board contacted CTV Ottawa to say this is simply an example of the dress code being enforced.

So what are your thoughts?

Where exactly is the line to be drawn? They are technically pants and they do cover the body, not exposing anything, they're just a little "Form Fitting"

Being a Catholic School, it doesn't surprise me that they'd take this approach, but I think they're going a bit far.... and the interviewed mother in the report has some good points.

It kind of reminds me of when I was in middle school / jr high, where at the time, wearing overalls with one shoulder strap unbuttoned was the "Cool" thing to wear:

Boys and Girls both wore them, yet the school started to tell people to hook on both straps or go home and change, as apparently they weren't wearing overalls in an appropriate manner.

:roll: Cuz that made sense.

The school said they're just enforcing their dress code..... I'm wondering what exactly that dress code states that makes yoga pants so evil and wrong.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I love yoga pants even more that mini skirts and short shorts. In my day it was patent leather shoes that were banned because the boys might see a reflection of their underwear. Does anybody remember what girls underwear looked like in the late 50s early 60s? They were about as sexy as boxer shorts.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I bet skinners that sit in their cars with cameras outside of schools like them too.

Probably, but they probably like all sorts of things that could compliment or emphasize a certain area of the body, so where does one draw the line?

Maybe we should all just play it safe & maybe the Muslims have it right with the Burqa..... we should protect women from the eyes of everyone who can't seem to handle looking at something that looks anything like a human body.

At the same time, we should also protect all the males in society so that women can't see any of their body parts, especially any chance of seeing a bulge in the crotch area where their penis is.... I got a great solution for that:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
To pretend that yoga pants that emphasize a 'camel toe' are appropriate for high school is stretching things a bit.

If they're not wearing underwear.... but I've seen girls back when I was in high school wearing jeans that gave off a huge camel toe..... so perhaps we should ban jeans as well.... or jogging pants. If someone walks, bends or does something in the wrong angle, something is going to show up for all to see.

And of course skirts & kilts.... move the wrong way or sit the wrong way and it's far more easier to see what's going on down there than what any yoga pants will show you.

Added:

Oh wait, I see what you did there :p

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
When I was in high school girls would be sent home for wearing ANY kind of pants no jeans or slacks.and that was in the mid 60's

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If ms Cloutier doesn't like the schools dress code, she can always pull her daughter out of the Catholic system and put her in a public school.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If ms Cloutier doesn't like the schools dress code, she can always pull her daughter out of the Catholic system and put her in a public school.

The Catholic school is publicly funded. As such anyone in Ontario has the right to use it.

People should be able to dress however they want to.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The Catholic school is publicly funded. As such anyone in Ontario has the right to use it.

People should be able to dress however they want to.
If you shoose to go to Catholic School, you choose to attend an institution, that operates under a different code of conduct.

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If you shoose to go to Catholic School, you choose to attend under an institution, that operates under a different code of conduct.

Typically kids don`t get the choice. I didn`t.

So I chose to be annoying until I was switched into a school that didnt encourage people to talk to an invisible man in the sky.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Typically kids don`t get the choice. I didn`t.
Neither did I. But I went to school in a time and place where we really didn't give a sh!t about brand names or styles.

We just dressed appropriately for the venue.

So I chose to be annoying until I was switched into a school that didnt encourage people to talk to an invisible man in the sky.
Which has what to do with clothing that has nothing to do with learning?