No jail time for man with 17 DUIs

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
PEABODY — A Peabody man still on probation after his 17th drunken-driving conviction persuaded a judge yesterday not to send him back to jail, after he was caught driving again in September.

Charles Stefanilo Jr.'s license had been revoked for life as a result of his long history of drinking and driving. But that didn't stop him from getting behind the wheel over the Labor Day weekend, and probation officials wanted a judge to revoke his probation as a result.

"That means I would be doing eight years in jail," Stefanilo, 55, complained to Judge Timothy Feeley. "It's crazy."

Stefanilo, who hasn't had a valid license to drive since at least 1995, served nearly five years in jail following his 16th drunken-driving conviction in Massachusetts. He also has at least one out-of-state conviction.

His 2004 arrest in Peabody was actually his 20th drunken-driving arrest, but he was able to beat four of the cases on his record, which dates to 1977.

Under the terms of an unusual sentence imposed after that 2004 arrest, Stefanilo also received a suspended two-year jail term for being a habitual traffic offender and an almost-unheard-of 25 years of probation, along with a $50,000 fine.

During yesterday's violation-of-probation hearing in Salem Superior Court, probation officials asked Feeley to revoke Stefanilo's probation and send him back to jail to serve out that two-year term, citing a Sept. 5 arrest on charges of driving while under license revocation and other offenses.

Feeley denied the request, instead putting Stefanilo back on probation, albeit with a stern warning.

"I will not revoke probation," Feeley said. "I will continue him on probation. You can't drive, not today, not tomorrow, not 10 years from now."

That's the same thing the Registry of Motor Vehicles has told him repeatedly, according to a driver history provided by the agency.
His license was permanently revoked following his 2005 conviction.

more insanity here:

No jail time for man with 17 DUIs » Local News » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I would have sent him down for the 8 years and tacked on 2 more for calling the judge and the penal system crazy. I am amazed that he hasn't done more time overall.

I have to praise Sweden for its harsh punishments for DUI - depending on the circumstance there is a stiff fine, 3 months to 3 years suspension, and possibly up to 6 years in jail for the 1st offense. By the 3rd offense there is mandatory jail in a special facility for DUI and possibly a lifetime suspension.

Here is a comparison of some different countries.

On DWI Laws in OTher Countries

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would have sent him down for the 8 years and tacked on 2 more for calling the judge and the penal system crazy. I am amazed that he hasn't done more time overall.

I have to praise Sweden for its harsh punishments for DUI - depending on the circumstance there is a stiff fine, 3 months to 3 years suspension, and possibly up to 6 years in jail for the 1st offense. By the 3rd offense there is mandatory jail in a special facility for DUI and possibly a lifetime suspension.

Here is a comparison of some different countries.

On DWI Laws in OTher Countries
It's harsher here in Canada. You get time on 2nd offense in Canada (SK). What the hell are they thinking in Mass.?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
But wait, there's more...

How about this asshole then?

8th OUI Charge For East Boston Man With Lifetime License Suspension

EAST BOSTON (CBS) – An East Boston man with seven previous OUI arrests and a lifetime license suspension is behind bars after being charged for an eighth time with driving drunk.

State Police arrested 52-year-old Albert Diaz Wednesday night in front of Chelsea High School after a Trooper witnessed him allegedly committing several driving violations in Revere.

Police say Diaz reeked of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes, and flunked a field sobriety test.
State Police later found out that Diaz had already had his license suspended for life over previous OUI violations.

Diaz was arrested and charged with operating under the influence of liquor, marked lanes violations, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, operating a motor vehicle after revocation for OUI, speeding and failure to wear a seat-belt.

8th OUI Charge For East Boston Man With Lifetime License Suspension « CBS Boston

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Why? To punish him?

Do you think he should get a big hug and a cash award for his behavior? :roll:

But wait, there's more...

How about this asshole then?

8th OUI Charge For East Boston Man With Lifetime License Suspension

EAST BOSTON (CBS) – An East Boston man with seven previous OUI arrests and a lifetime license suspension is behind bars after being charged for an eighth time with driving drunk.

State Police arrested 52-year-old Albert Diaz Wednesday night in front of Chelsea High School after a Trooper witnessed him allegedly committing several driving violations in Revere.

Police say Diaz reeked of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes, and flunked a field sobriety test.
State Police later found out that Diaz had already had his license suspended for life over previous OUI violations.

Diaz was arrested and charged with operating under the influence of liquor, marked lanes violations, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, operating a motor vehicle after revocation for OUI, speeding and failure to wear a seat-belt.

8th OUI Charge For East Boston Man With Lifetime License Suspension « CBS Boston

At least this idiot is in jail for #8 and not still out for #18!!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Who cares how long he's been sober, the point is that he keeps driving when he's not allowed to.

Put him in jail.

I think with a little imagination better penalties could be derived!

Why? To punish him?

Jail will never cure a sickness. Some you have to just for the protection of innocent victims, like with pedophiles, but even with them it's a futile system of revolving doors.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That and to protect the rest of us.

Do we need to be protected from this guy? He had a problem with drunk driving but hasn't had a drink in years.

Do you think he should get a big hug and a cash award for his behavior?

Of course not. Don't be silly. I'm just wondering why people want to spend my tax dollars locking some guy up that doesn't seem to be a threat to anyone. If it's just a matter of being vindictive and wanting to punish people then fine. While I disagree with that philosophy I can, at least, understand it.

Jail will never cure a sickness. Some you have to just for the protection of innocent victims....

As of yet, nobody that wants him in jail has explained why we need protection from this guy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If he was caught driving while SOBER perhaps some kind of award is in order! The guy is moving in the right direction! :lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
If he was caught driving while SOBER perhaps some kind of award is in order! The guy is moving in the right direction! :lol:

Yes, he has moved in the right direction. Why do you feel we need to be protected from him?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Do we need to be protected from this guy? He had a problem with drunk driving but hasn't had a drink in years.

Of course not. Don't be silly. I'm just wondering why people want to spend my tax dollars locking some guy up that doesn't seem to be a threat to anyone. If it's just a matter of being vindictive and wanting to punish people then fine. While I disagree with that philosophy I can, at least, understand it.

As of yet, nobody that wants him in jail has explained why we need protection from this guy.

Let me try to explain then. He has at least 20 DUI's in his home state and more elsewhere. He is still driving while suspended today even though he may not be drinking. He has proven right up to a couple of months ago to have a complete disregard for the law and other people. If he has an accident while suspended he will have no insurance to cover anybody's losses or injuries...what if he kills somebody? These things happen to sober people all the time but at least they are covered. Point is his record of disregard and disrespect for laws and other people make me question what other laws he might disregard on a regular basis that he just hasn't been caught for. I don't trust this guy's judgement or self control and would feel much safer if he were in a strictly controlled environment and away from me (thank god he doesn't live near me.

You get it now??

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Let me try to explain then. He has at least 20 DUI's in his home state and more elsewhere. He is still driving while suspended today even though he may not be drinking. He has proven right up to a couple of months ago to have a complete disregard for the law and other people. If he has an accident while suspended he will have no insurance to cover anybody's losses or injuries...what if he kills somebody? These things happen to sober people all the time but at least they are covered. Point is his record of disregard and disrespect for laws and other people make me question what other laws he might disregard on a regular basis that he just hasn't been caught for. I don't trust this guy's judgement or self control and would feel much safer if he were in a strictly controlled environment and away from me (thank god he doesn't live near me.

You get it now??

No, not really. You could give him his license back and punish him some other way (ie community service). That way, he could work and keep his business going, get insurance so you wouldn't have to worry about him hitting anybody. It seems to me that the guy is trying to make something of his life so I don't share your distrust of his judgement or self control. Like I said, I do understand your need to punish people. My view is that the criminal justice system should be about protecting me and you failed at showing me any reason why I have to be protected from this guy.

No, to show that you can't break the law with impunity.

There are other ways to do that.