B.C. Supreme Court upholds ban on polygamy

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
They need to toss these antiquated laws so that they can disentangle the issue of child marriage from the issue of religious polygamy/freedom.

How does polygamy harm women?

Polygamy itself doesn't harm women. But, maintaining the illegality of their marriages sure does. It makes them second class citizens who risk losing everything if they come forward about any crimes being committed in their lives. Try to save a 14 year old being forced into marriage, and because YOU'RE living illegally, you risk losing your kids, your home, what small security you have. Whereas if you were a wife in every legal right, you might actually be able to put your foot down without the fear.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
They need to toss these antiquated laws so that they can disentangle the issue of child marriage from the issue of religious polygamy/freedom.

As long as it doesn't involve scumbags hurting kids I have no issue with what consenting adults do.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Polygamy doesn't mean a man with multiple wives, it means a marriage with multiple partners.

There is no reason to assume it only means a man with multiple wives.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A few of the things I keep hearing about are young girls being forced into marriage with older men and these
young women have no recourse while they are stuck in Bountiful, a town that is run by fundimentalist
Mormons. The stories that are told by women who have escaped in the middle of the night sound like they
are breaking out of a prison camp. Young men are forced out of Bountiful, presumably so they won't be competing
with the older men for young wives.
It sounds like a sick situation that I hope will eventually be cleaned up. The B.C. Supreme court has made a start.
Let's hope the Canadian Supreme court follows through.

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Polygamy itself doesn't harm women. But, maintaining the illegality of their marriages sure does. It makes them second class citizens who risk losing everything if they come forward about any crimes being committed in their lives. Try to save a 14 year old being forced into marriage, and because YOU'RE living illegally, you risk losing your kids, your home, what small security you have. Whereas if you were a wife in every legal right, you might actually be able to put your foot down without the fear.

"Polygamy" and "forcing 14 year olds into marriage" are not synoymous. The court is taking away freedoms because of the harm it does to women. I think the court should explain what harm is caused to women by polygamy. If they allowed it to be legal, then the illegality of their marriages wouldn't be an issue.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"Polygamy" and "forcing 14 year olds into marriage" are not synoymous. The court is taking away freedoms because of the harm it does to women. I think the court should explain what harm is caused to women by polygamy. If they allowed it to be legal, then the illegality of their marriages wouldn't be an issue.

I thought the same thing as I read the article. The 'harm to women and children' mentioned is not due to the polygamy, but to the circumstances surrounding the use of it by wingnut fuktards. It is not an absolute requirement of polygamy that women are brainwashed into it at an early age, and that children are abused.

It is also worth noting that polygamy also means a woman with multiple husbands, or multiple women married to multiple women and men. Those are not mentioned in the article at all, and there is no explanation of how that necessarily means abuse of children and harm to women.

To me, that leaves a huge gap for any appeal to walk through.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
They can say its illegal all they want I doubt they're going to go home and seperate.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
No, they won't, but now the authorities will arrest them, and throw their sorry butts into prison, where they belong. And, then they can learn what it's like to have multiple "husbands", as they become the playthings of Bubba and his pals.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I certainly do not condone any marriage involving minors but what consenting adults do is nobody's business but their own. This is just another place where 'Big Brother' wants to control the lives of everyday people and tell us how to live and what is in our best interest. Of course no one from government has ever asked me any questions to determine what I want from life and what I consider acceptable etc so how the hell do they know what my interests are?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I thought the same thing as I read the article. The 'harm to women and children' mentioned is not due to the polygamy, but to the circumstances surrounding the use of it by wingnut fuktards. It is not an absolute requirement of polygamy that women are brainwashed into it at an early age, and that children are abused.

The harm to women and children in Bountiful is that they don't have a say in their own lives. Young women marry who they are told to marry or they are shunned by the "family". Young men are virtually chased out because marriages are planned years in advance by the
alders and young men are not included in those plans.