Legalizing Pot Supported by Former Vancouver Mayors

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"Four former Vancouver mayors have joined a growing coalition trying to legalize marijuana.

Sam Sullivan, Mike Harcourt, Larry Campbell and Philip Owen have co-signed a letter in support of Stop the Violence B.C., saying that prohibition of the drug has been an utter failure, has created a gang-fuelled $7-billion underground industry in B.C. and has done nothing to stop the availability of marijuana.

Senator Larry Campbell, a former police officer as well as mayor, said the coalition represents the most organized push to end pot prohibition in Canada.

“I’ve been advocating this for years – we’re losing out on $2 billion in taxes and instead have large cases of violence at the hands of sociopaths that call themselves gangs,” he said. “When you have a cross-section of people, some ex-police officers like myself, come out, people will start to listen.”

Stop the Violence B.C. includes professionals from law enforcement, health care, universities and the justice system."

More at:

Metro - Former Vancouver mayors advocate for legalizing marijuana

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
"Four former Vancouver mayors have joined a growing coalition trying to legalize marijuana.

Sam Sullivan, Mike Harcourt, Larry Campbell and Philip Owen have co-signed a letter in support of Stop the Violence B.C., saying that prohibition of the drug has been an utter failure, has created a gang-fuelled $7-billion underground industry in B.C. and has done nothing to stop the availability of marijuana.

Senator Larry Campbell, a former police officer as well as mayor, said the coalition represents the most organized push to end pot prohibition in Canada.

“I’ve been advocating this for years – we’re losing out on $2 billion in taxes and instead have large cases of violence at the hands of sociopaths that call themselves gangs,” he said. “When you have a cross-section of people, some ex-police officers like myself, come out, people will start to listen.”

Stop the Violence B.C. includes professionals from law enforcement, health care, universities and the justice system."

More at:

Metro - Former Vancouver mayors advocate for legalizing marijuana
They will need a really big hammer to get it through Harper's head. The myth of the Devil's weed is going to be hard nut to crack. As a cop on another forum pointed out, politicians are too concerned about getting re-elected to do anything that might cost them votes.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
These politicians are not interested in the "merits" of legalizing pot and only care about how much tax they can scrape from potheads. And I'm not convinced that removing the criminal label for growing is going to stop people of questionable character from growing and dealing pot. There's millions of potheads, and not every one is going to be willing or even able to grow their own supply, because growing causes damage to structures and landlords of apartments, strata boards etc won't be so accommodating.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
They will need a really big hammer to get it through Harper's head. The myth of the Devil's weed is going to be hard nut to crack. As a cop on another forum pointed out, politicians are too concerned about getting re-elected to do anything that might cost them votes.

That is pretty much across the board in Parliament.

A Mayor is pretty worthless in this fight. They need Federal MP's advocating for this or it's a waste of time.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yes, and then get real stoned so when these twits sink the country into an abyss it won't seem as important.
Perhaps it isn't. Senility is when you finally realize nothing is important and begin to play again, live child. Or, in the religious sense, to be born again, to be as a child and to see the wonder in life, instead of worrying and being all stressed out by crap we have no control over.

Being stoned might help a lot of people get over themselves and join the dance of life. Are all these human endeavours worth the hassle? Is all this competition, mindless jobs and consumerism really necessary? Wouldn't it make more sense to grow a garden than pay ridiculous prices for crap at the grocery store? Perhaps a rethink is in order for humanity.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If the Govt doesn`t want to sell grain what makes anyone think they`d want to sell weed?
You are talking about the government (privatize everything) of the day. They make bundles off alcohol so why not weed? The cost of enforcing the laws are way too expensive for such a relatively harmless herb.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Would you want to smoke factory weed or weed from the guy down the street who grows amazing soil with really good weed growing in it?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Even if it were govt standardized?

Standardized to what? There are so many strains and varieties of weed, I imagine the government would pull a "knows best" sort of attitude and give you one type to choose from. Then there is the cost, if they charged anything like they did for alchohol, it would quickly become a very expensive habit.

levanty

Electoral Member
Oct 17, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Perhaps it isn't. Senility is when you finally realize nothing is important and begin to play again, live child. Or, in the religious sense, to be born again, to be as a child and to see the wonder in life, instead of worrying and being all stressed out by crap we have no control over.

Being stoned might help a lot of people get over themselves and join the dance of life. Are all these human endeavours worth the hassle? Is all this competition, mindless jobs and consumerism really necessary? Wouldn't it make more sense to grow a garden than pay ridiculous prices for crap at the grocery store? Perhaps a rethink is in order for humanity.

Very well said Cliff. Did you make that up yourself or copy it from a book? :tongue1:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The govt could sell pot and regulate it so small growers could legally and safely grow pot. Right now houses are being wrecked and landlords are losing thousands of dollars because it is grown illegally. Or gangs buy houses and fix them to grow pot. Houses are not designed to be humid grow ops. If people could legally grow pot in their backyard, attic or basement the business would take on a safer, healthier and profitable shape.

I say let businesses buy warehouses or farms to grow pot and label the product properly so the public knows exactly what they are buying.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
You are talking about the government (privatize everything) of the day. They make bundles off alcohol so why not weed? The cost of enforcing the laws are way too expensive for such a relatively harmless herb.

Cliffy. I am with you on legalization and I don't smoke it anymore.

I'm just not with you on letting the Greens or the Pot Party run the nation. It's a sure way to bankrupt us.