Horrendous sanitary conditions in northern Manitoba

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For awhile now on C.B.C. radio I've been hearing interviews regarding the living conditions on reserves in northern Manitoba. No human being in 2011 should have to be living like this. People are packing water in buckets and are carrying out their human waste in slop buckets. The people are going elsewhere once a week to have a bath. Water facilities can not be installed until the houses are upgraded or replaced with new houses. About ten thousand residents are affected. We are a country of 34 million people. Surely to Christ a lottery could be arranged that would provide a few $million bucks to correct these deplorable conditions. A couple in Ontario just won $50 million. Time for us to get realistic and help our poorer brothers.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Northern Ontario is in the same condition too. I imagine it`s like that in many of the northern regions of the country. It is strange that it is allowed to continue.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What are the budgets of the reserves, and who controls how the money is spent? Do we still believe that every problem is solved by someone else? I have no idea what these reserves have or don't have, but I'd want more information before suggesting a solution.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Northern Ontario is in the same condition too. I imagine it`s like that in many of the northern regions of the country. It is strange that it is allowed to continue.

It happens fairly regularly here, that with the Albany river floods in the spring, near James Bay that residents of some villages there temporarily get relocated in Timmins Cochrane and Kapuskasing.
I would guess that some decide to not go back, because on my walks around town I meet more and more Natives these days, some often enough that I recognise and say hello to when we meet.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What are the budgets of the reserves, and who controls how the money is spent? Do we still believe that every problem is solved by someone else? I have no idea what these reserves have or don't have, but I'd want more information before suggesting a solution.
The supply lines to northern MB are a real bitch. There are 3-4 months available to move a years worth of supplies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

It doesn't take much imagination to know to start with decent housing, wiring and plumbing. Mobile homes would be a vast improvement on what they have. I think someone should get on it today, children are involved. It's not rocket science.

The supply lines to northern MB are a real bitch. There are 3-4 months available to move a years worth of supplies.

Any worse than northern Saskatchewan or northern Ontario?

Vaessen

Nominee Member
Oct 30, 2011

Exactly, an effort should be made to see whether there is enough money already there being squandered or stolen before we throw more money at a problem. too many times with Native affairs we just throw money at it. It's time to change who gets it and legislate how it's spent.

It doesn't take much imagination to know to start with decent housing, wiring and plumbing. Mobile homes would be a vast improvement on what they have. I think someone should get on it today, children are involved. It's not rocket science.

There are children involved all over the country in poor conditions. You can't just blindly attack one problem. Then you'll have to go everywhere else where there is a problem and attack that too, and you'd be broke in a week. There is more than enough money in Native affairs as it stands to solve all of these problems, they just need to give it to the right people. It's a crappy situation but I don't want more money wasted. I want to see policies that actually work, that result in less money spent on reserves. Build them a house and you're back in 10 years building another one. I've seen it. The answer is not to throw money away.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Any worse than northern Saskatchewan or northern Ontario?
Yes.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Gee, if this problem was just about "access" I think it would have been solved long ago. The Yukon territory, which is even farther north than Manitoba, has decent plumbing. But then, so do most Canadians living in cities. The politics makes rocket science look simple. We all know the technocratic solution.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sometimes.

Hourly or twice daily?

Gee, if this problem was just about "access" I think it would have been solved long ago. The Yukon territory, which is even farther north than Manitoba, has decent plumbing. But then, so do most Canadians living in cities. The politics makes rocket science look simple. We all know the technocratic solution.

You can't equate "access" with distance north. Whitehorse is right on a major highway.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I ****ing hate mushkeg, that **** man one wrong step in the wrong spot and blop gone forever.....
Yep, you know what muskeg is, lol.

I know a patch of muskeg that has 3 MOW cabooses, 4 gondola's, a scale car, 200yards of track and several thousand tons of ballast and slag at the bottom (For lack of a better term) of it.

Thank God for January.
A skidder's paradise.