Egypt Clashes Enter 3rd Day as Military Faces Pressure

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
CAIRO — Egypt’s military rulers on Monday faced the most sustained and bloodiest challenge to their hold on power since the fall of Hosni Mubarak as demonstrators clashed for a third successive day with security forces around Tahrir Square after new clashes broke out across the country.

Egyptian troops had been heralded as saviors when their generals ushered out President Mubarak on Feb. 11, but on Sunday they led a new push to clear the square and the Health Ministry said Monday that at least 23 people were killed. Since Saturday, more than 1,500 people had been wounded, the ministry said.

Read More

Egypt: Video of brutal crackdown on Tahrir Sq protesters in Cairo.... - YouTube

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's nice that the Eyptians weren't inspied by American Gov's response to OWS protesters.

What are they protesting in Egypt? Corruption? High cost of living? Unemployment? Rights?

Did they not get a permit?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Egyptians were being scammed. The upcoming elections are rigged and all their protests accomplished 6 months ago was to replace on dictator with another. Well the Egyptians want a real democracy and they've given the military a chance to come clean. heir military still controls power and will control Egypt even after the next election. Meanwhile thousands of protestors are still locked up from 6 months ago and the new dictator is only offering a Shamocracy.

Go Egypt!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Do citizens need a permit to over throw a dictator? I suspect their is no way they can do this and obey the dictator's laws. That's why revolutions get messy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Of course you need permits. That is what Democracy is all about, asking for permission to express your rights on public land.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Do citizens need a permit to over throw a dictator? I suspect their is no way they can do this and obey the dictator's laws. That's why revolutions get messy.

I am in Ah of you. Simply in Ah of your critical thinking, logic train and deductive resoning. I think I will have to sit down and rest now.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
G: Do you have anything to add to this discussion on the Egyptian protests? or is your point here to be a troll? P and I were just bantering. I think this could be the start of violent revolution.

This just in:
the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has accepted the interim cabinet's resignation

"We, a group of Egyptian diplomats who joined the honourable January revolution (that toppled Hosni Mubarak) with our hearts, our minds and our bodies, are now witnessing an assault on the dignity of the people."
The diplomats called on the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) to hold presidential elections "no later that mid-2012," when power would be transferred to a civilian authority.
They also urged the SCAF to "hold parliamentary elections on schedule and guarantee their security".
Egypt Live Blog | Al Jazeera Blogs

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I don't think the Egyptian people will be fooled. I they want a real democracy and it looks like they are going to have to do it the old fashioned way. I expect these protests to grow huge fast. If people don't come out en mass they will be crushed. The military rank and file will have to join the protestors for this to succeed.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
G: Do you have anything to add to this discussion on the Egyptian protests? or is your point here to be a troll? P and I were just bantering. I think this could be the start of violent revolution.

This just in:
the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has accepted the interim cabinet's resignation

"We, a group of Egyptian diplomats who joined the honourable January revolution (that toppled Hosni Mubarak) with our hearts, our minds and our bodies, are now witnessing an assault on the dignity of the people."
The diplomats called on the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) to hold presidential elections "no later that mid-2012," when power would be transferred to a civilian authority.
They also urged the SCAF to "hold parliamentary elections on schedule and guarantee their security".
Egypt Live Blog | Al Jazeera Blogs

It was a compliment - Right from the heart man, right from the heart -

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces has issued the second half of its statement calling on political and national forces to engage in "urgent dialogue".
The continued statement expresses "deep regret" about the casualties from the past three days, extends condolences to the families and victims, stresses that peaceful protest is a legitimate right for the citizens and announces the formation of a fact-finding committee within the Justice Ministry to determine how the violence occurred.

almost sounds sincere....

Tahrir Square Today

A huge crowd packs Tahrir Square on Monday night as protesters rush the injured to field hospitals. [AFP]

Wait until Friday....

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I realize what is happening in Egypt is far from funny, but I had to laugh at when I was watching CTV coverage of the demonstrations in Cairo and noted that among the demonstrators standing in front of a burning vehicle (it looked like a bus) was an obvious street vendor holding two ten-foot high assortments of what appeared to be cotton candy (known as candy floss to some). Life goes on even during moments of chaos.

JackPhast

Nov 20, 2011
Vancouver
It is sad to see that the people of Egypt aren't getting what they bargained for.

It is, however, a reminder that the transition from dictatorship to democracy is never easy, and never quick. Just look at places like Afghanistan and Iraq - years after dictators were overthrown, and there still isn't a true democracy. Even in Russia, twenty years after the fall of the Soviet Union, and it still isn't a real democracy.

It is a long path they have ahead of them, but at least they are matching down it, and refusing to give in.