Your Grocery Bill

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No - we pay way too much for groceries. Maybe not so much in Ontario and I haven't been to Alberta for about 10 years so I don't know now about what you pay. I do know our groceries really increased in the past few months. In most stores you will pay at least $2.49 for just a loaf of bread. Sometimes it's on for 99 cents. Milk has moved from (just bought it yesterday but must have thrown the sales slip out) about $3.99 for 4 litres to $4.99 in most stores. Still a better buy though than a 12 pack of canned pop. That's gone to the ridiculous price of about $5.99 for a dozen. I feel ripped off though because I bought cheese yesterday and then got the flyer. Same cheese is $2.00 less today than I paid. Even a litre of ketchup was $4.99 and I finally had to buy. It's on today for $2.99. I can't win for losing.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
""""The pound and the Euro are much cheaper today than what they were 10 years ago — but even 10 years ago, I thought it was more expensive here," said Renaut, who buys quality cheese in Europe for a fraction of what she pays here.
"I'm always very happy to go back there, especially for the food."""

Great; I'm very happy to see you go. Stay there.

Eat lots of cheese, lots and lots. Hopefully you'll have a clotted artery which will lead to brain damage. Woops ----too late.

Supply management for farmers is a good thing. the profit is added on at retail. Ergo the higher? prices. Higher than what?

If supply management goes, so goes the farm, and we are left with corporate conglomerates to set the prices. That's working real well in lumber, oil, and beef. Google Cargil and see whatchaget!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not having a teenager around has made or food bill plummet. Damn kids are remorseless eating machines.

I hear ya there.

On the downside though, I still tend to cook the same way and now I have this thing...I think they call them leftovers? Does that sound right to you?

Anyway, now I have to eat them all on my own. By day two it get's a little boring.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I hear ya there.

On the downside though, I still tend to cook the same way and now I have this thing...I think they call them leftovers? Does that sound right to you?

Anyway, now I have to eat them all on my own. By day two it get's a little boring.

Got any leftover chocolate cake and ice cream??:blob5:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
""""The pound and the Euro are much cheaper today than what they were 10 years ago — but even 10 years ago, I thought it was more expensive here," said Renaut, who buys quality cheese in Europe for a fraction of what she pays here.
"I'm always very happy to go back there, especially for the food."""

Great; I'm very happy to see you go. Stay there.

Lol, no way is it cheaper to fly to France for cheese than to head to the nearest Loblaws.

Just sayin. ;)

Got any leftover chocolate cake and ice cream??:blob5:

No, but God love ya, you reminded me that I do have cheesecake in the fridge. :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We've gotten good a portioning. The only things that ends up as leftovers are on purpose. Things like chili and stew.

Oh and pizza. We now get three meals from a 13".

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It does tend to add to the price just a tad.

A little bit, yeah, lol.

We've gotten good a portioning. The only things that ends up as leftovers are on purpose. Things like chili and stew.

Oh and pizza. We now get three meals from a 13".

I find it hard to do sometimes, especially when I get a craving for an old family favourite.

And I make my own pizza, so they're always just the right size.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hams and roasts. We hardly have them anymore.

See sometimes I do want a nice roast, then it's sandwiches for the week. Good on the one hand but I get a little tired of it sometimes.

I just gotta start inviting folks for dinner when I want to roast a beast I guess.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
See sometimes I do want a nice roast, then it's sandwiches for the week. Good on the one hand but I get a little tired of it sometimes.

I just gotta start inviting folks for dinner when I want to roast a beast I guess.

In a slow cooker a roast doesn't have to be big so you have to eat the same thing for a week and it doesn't have to be the most expensive cut of meat either..

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
In a slow cooker a roast doesn't have to be big so you have to eat the same thing for a week and it doesn't have to be the most expensive cut of meat either..

Oh I know. I do that too, don't get me wrong.

But sometimes I just want a oven roasted beef with mashed potatoes, veggies and yorkshires smoothered in gravy, you know?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What I have found is that the quality of what we get here is higher than in the US. And we get to test it often; we live about 1 hr from the border, and many people here take every opportunity they can to go across to buy groceries. For example, last Thursday night, we went to St Stephen (border town) for a high school hockey game, many of the parents went 'over across' to pick up groceries. I don't like the look, taste, or colour of the poultry in the US.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mmmmm roast, yams, turnips, spuds, carrots n' gravy, a side of coleslaw and pickled beets.

Pickled herring for desert.

I think I'm going to take a roast out in the AM.