Fired bus driver speaks out

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA — The OC Transpo driver who was fired for a tirade against a passenger has provided us his side of the story.

He is devastated at the turn of events — “the insanity” he calls it — the loss of his career, income, peace of mind, only three years short of retirement. “I’m just kind of numb, you know?” He could barely get the story out without tears.

“(The passenger) just wouldn’t leave me alone,” he said this week, in describing a set of circumstances — that night, and in his life — that would push just about anyone to the breaking point.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Obviously the bus company has no backbone and caves to any public pressure.

The 20 year old asshole will get to ride the bus again and get somebody else fired.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If his stresses are as bad as he says they are, he should not have been fired, particularly if this was a one time occurence. The company could have tried to work with the guy. (OC Transpo is not know for their humanity though) However, no where does he actually say that he feels he went too far due to the stresses, only that his stresses are numerous. (And for the life of me I can't figure out why his 20 year old triplets can't be more self-sufficient, but that's besides the point.) So it kind of reeks to me of excuse more than reason. I can empathize with him though,and yes hindsight is 20/20 and all but kicking the annoying passenger off the bus should have been his first move.

I don't hate bus drivers, there are probably way more crappy passengers than crappy bus drivers. The numbers alone pretty much guarantee that. Still, he should have faced some kind of disciplinary action, you cannot scream that you're going to put your fist through someones face and not expect repercussions.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don't these union leaches, with more rights and privileges than the rest of us Canadians, have access to stress leave?

If your life is in the dumpster, your grown(?) kids unable to look after themselves, your dad needing your off duty attention, and being spit at made you cry, maybe stress leave would be in order.

Someone dropped the ball here. Supervisor, driver. Take your pick.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
If his stresses are as bad as he says they are, he should not have been fired, particularly if this was a one time occurence.
Agreed-the man sounds like he was wound very very tight-no one is fired for a screwing up just once.

you cannot scream that you're going to put your fist through someones face and not expect repercussions.
I ride the bus all the time here in Vancouver and have never ever seen anything like it-the man has issues that he hasn't dealt with.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Don't these union leaches, with more rights and privileges than the rest of us Canadians, have access to stress leave?

If your life is in the dumpster, your grown(?) kids unable to look after themselves, your dad needing your off duty attention, and being spit at made you cry, maybe stress leave would be in order.

Someone dropped the ball here. Supervisor, driver. Take your pick.

And then we have the type that go thru this, do not use the benefits as mentioned and go to work day in day out.
Lastly - he freaked out - Anyone here not do that at least once?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

All Canadians have the right to bargain their labour so you are wrong. Union "leaches" have no more rights and privileges than other Canadians. BTW, on another thread, you mentioned all the "benefits" I got by being in a union and when asked what "benefits" I get, you kinda disappeared. Maybe you would like to clarify here.

And then we have the type that go thru this, do not use the benefits as mentioned and go to work day in day out.

If you take time off work, it puts added pressure on your work mates so many feel guilty plus the stress leave may not pay 100% of the wages.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
All Canadians have the right to bargain their labour so you are wrong. Union "leaches" have no more rights and privileges than other Canadians. BTW, on another thread, you mentioned all the "benefits" I got by being in a union and when asked what "benefits" I get, you kinda disappeared. Maybe you would like to clarify here.

If you take time off work, it puts added pressure on your work mates so many feel guilty plus the stress leave may not pay 100% of the wages.

The Union provides Lawyers - an average cost for a grievance starts at about 15 K and up - One reason why Companies will at times avoid suspending or firing an employee. It is not unheard of for a single grievance to hit 100 K. And if fired and they win all monies are back pay.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Union provides Lawyers - an average cost for a grievance starts at about 15 K and up - One reason why Companies will at times avoid suspending or firing an employee. It is not unheard of for a single grievance to hit 100 K. And if fired and they win all monies are back pay.

Some unions may provide a lawyer. I had a co-worker who was fired for (in my opinion) just cause. He asked our local to fight it and we told him to piss off. Lawyers will work for a percentage if there isn't cause. I know because I won a wrongful dismissal suit close to ten years ago.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Some unions may provide a lawyer. I had a co-worker who was fired for (in my opinion) just cause. He asked our local to fight it and we told him to piss off. Lawyers will work for a percentage if there isn't cause. I know because I won a wrongful dismissal suit close to ten years ago.

Depends upon the union - You know that as well as i - I am referring to the UFCW -

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Again-telling a passenger to STFU is one thing-threatening bodily harm quite another.

That's probably a big part of why the union won't back the guy-they have their politics to abide by like everyone.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Again-telling a passenger to STFU is one thing-threatening bodily harm quite another.

That's probably a big part of why the union won't back the guy-they have their politics to abide by like everyone.

Did you read the link in the OP
The driver, through his union, is grieving the dismissal. For now, he needs to recover well enough to start looking for another job.