1 in 5 U.S. adults takes medication for a mental disorder

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Or at least are told they have a disorder and have to take this pill or that.

Either way, pretty sad.

Medications to treat mental health disorders is soaring among U.S. adults, according to data released Wednesday by Medco Health Solutions, a pharmacy benefit manager.

Twenty percent of all adults said they took at least one medication to treat a mental disorder. Among women, 25% said they took such medication and 20% said they were using an antidepressant.

The survey analyzed prescription drug trends among 2.5 million insured Americans from 2001 to 2010.

Medco researchers also found that adults ages 20 to 44 had the greatest uptick in use of anti-anxiety medications, atypical antipsychotics and drugs to treat ADHD. The number of women on ADHD medications was 2.5 times higher in 2010 than in 2001.

more

One in five U.S. adults takes medication for mental disorder - latimes.com

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I take an anti-depressant. I wonder if this study would have cared that I don't take it for depression, or at a dosage that is even useful for depression. Instead it's commonly used to treat nerve pain at low dosages.

It seems to me such off-label usage probably accounts for most of the rises in the usage of these drugs.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
yeah, those figures don't even nudge the number of us who self-medicate.

:?D

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It would seem that in the near future when you are asked to 'show your papers' it is going to mean you are to produce your prescription card and if it is short of a 'list' you will be taken in if you act in a way that could be classified as being somewhat like the 'Jerusalem Syndrome'

Types

The 'classic' Jerusalem syndrome, where a visit to Jerusalem seems to trigger a intense religious psychosis that resolves quickly or on departure, has been a subject of debate in the medical literature2,3,4. Most of the discussion has centred on whether this definition of the Jerusalem syndrome is a distinct form of psychosis, or simply a re-expression of a previously existing psychotic illness that was not picked up by the medical authorities in Israel.
In response to this, Bar-El et al. classified the syndrome1 into three major types to reflect the different types of interactions between a visit to Jerusalem and unusual or psychosis-related thought processes. However Kalian and Witztum have objected that Bar-El et al. presented no evidence to justify the detailed typology and prognosis presented, and that the types in fact seem to be unrelated rather than different aspects of a syndrome.
Type I

Jerusalem syndrome imposed on a previous psychotic illness. This refers to individuals already diagnosed as having a psychotic illness before their visit to Jerusalem. They have typically gone to the city because of the influence of delusional religious ideas, often with a goal or mission in mind which they believe needs to be completed on arrival or during their stay. For example, an affected person may believe themself to be an important historical religious figure, or may be influenced by important religious ideas or concepts (such as causing the second coming of Christ).
Type II

Jerusalem syndrome superimposed on and complicated by idiosyncratic ideas. This does not necessarily take the form of mental illness, and may simply be an culturally anomalous obsession with the significance of Jerusalem, either as an individual, or as part of a small religious group with idiosyncratic spiritual beliefs.
Type III

Jerusalem syndrome as a discrete form, uncompounded by previous mental illness. This describes the best known type, whereby a previously mentally balanced person becomes psychotic after arriving in Jerusalem. The psychosis is characterised by an intense religious character and typically resolves to full recovery after a few weeks, or after being removed from the locality. It shares some features with the diagnostic category of a 'brief psychotic episode', although a distinct pattern of behaviours has been noted:

1. Anxiety, agitation, nervousness and tension, plus other unspecified reactions.
  2. Declaration of the desire to split away from the group or the family and to tour Jerusalem alone. Tourist guides aware of the Jerusalem syndrome and of the significance of such declarations may at this point refer the tourist to an institution for psychiatric evaluation in an attempt to preempt the subsequent stages of the syndrome. If unattended, these stages are usually unavoidable.
  3. A need to be clean and pure: obsession with taking baths and showers; compulsive fingernail and toenail cutting.
  4. Preparation, often with the aid of hotel bed-linen, of a long, ankle-length, toga-like gown, which is always white.
  5. The need to scream, shout, or sing out loud psalms, verses from the Bible, religious hymns or spirituals. Manifestations of this type serve as a warning to hotel personnel and tourist guides, who should then attempt to have the tourist taken for professional treatment. Failing this, the two last stages will develop.
  6. A procession or march to one of Jerusalem's holy places.
  7. Delivery of a ‘sermon’ in a holy place. The sermon is usually very confused and based on an unrealistic plea to humankind to adopt a more wholesome, moral, simple way of life.
Bar-El et al. reported 42 such cases over a period of 13 years, but in no case were they able to actually confirm that the condition was temporary.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What the Hell?
None of those things listed is a danger to anybody but the person going on a first vacation, yet it will get you an interviews with Shin Bet if you allow yourself to be incited by the 'local history'. Perhaps the ones who drew up the list should be the ones put on meds.

What are you confused about anyway? Trying to find a way to label it as being anti-Semitic?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Or at least are told they have a disorder and have to take this pill or that.

Either way, pretty sad.

Or, just as likely, they find that taking the medication makes them feel better, so they do.

sometimes, people do things because it makes them feel better, not because a doctor has convinced them they have a phantom illness.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
No. It's just bizzare. I'm Pro-Bizzare BTW

We used to have church bizzares till someone said God don't exist.

Naturally we all quit, and sold our useless shilt at garage sales.

Made a lot of money.. apparently lots of folks like buyin shlt, but not goin to church to praise a big man in the sky who will fuk ya up if ya don't BEEEEEEEEEEEEEELEEEEEEEEVE.

Suits me. Just got 1.95 for the drill set I bought at the Dollar Store for a buck.

Hey, bring it on, big man.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh shlt, did I say that??8O

Now I'm done.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In America and in Canada people are looking for something, it might be leadership it
might be their own self worth. Have you noticed people have been in a cranky mood
for years now, and they are not getting happier either. The single biggest thing I have
noticed is that we as a society are always in the mood to morn something, locally,
and nationally, even international incidents. Flowers come out everywhere and vigils
and TV carries things on for days. In contrast we have a hero for every incident, just
late a patron saint for every occasion.
That in itself is not compassion it has reached a new high for a form of mental attraction
in my opinion. No I am not saying we should be uncaring and selfish, I am saying we
are beginning to take morning tragedy and hero worship to extreme levels. Why?
I think we are feeling down on ourselves, as a people, we are seeking leadership and
new heroes. We have the feeling our lives are dull boring and without a promise of
better things to come. That is depressing enough but when hope is abandoned it slowly
turns into a slow decline into mental illness.
I also noted what Karrie had to say, that many people are taking some of these drugs
for depression but also for pain relief. I think we should find out if the medication for
pain was distinguished from taking it for depression or mental conditions.
On a lighter note, it could be that even more people are mentally disturbed in Americas,
they are still supporting Cain, and Newt or even worse, that Texan Perry.
How many supported Sarah Palin before the sobered up.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
At least you are not in denial. That is always a good sign.

I see by your stats you post 13 per day, I guess your still in denial. Maybe you should give it a rest and you might be able to reduce your meds!!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I see by your stats you post 13 per day, I guess your still in denial. Maybe you should give it a rest and you might be able to reduce your meds!!
I am not on meds because I am quite comfortable with my insanity. I embrace it. Only people who have not made friends with all their personalities need to be medicated. It causes neurosis.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I am not on meds because I am quite comfortable with my insanity. I embrace it. Only people who have not made friends with all their personalities need to be medicated. It causes neurosis.
Well, ok, but you should really try some meds,,, I mean your a real pain in the ass for others around you!!