Gordon Lightfoot's Daughter to stay at Occupy Bay Street Forever

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
That's what she said in an interview with News media yesterday after Lightfoot was seen coming down to check on his daughter. Now, I am not going to bash Gordon Lightfoot as I think he is not only a great musician, but a very descent guy. His daughter strikes me as a passionate young lady who just happens to have the resources of a celebrity Dad.

I completely get the deal with young people being out of work. What I don't get is the people who are at these occupy protests and where the bulk of them draw their resources to sit in for extended period.

I've heard the term: "professional protester" coined many times and I am wondering how does one become a professional protester.

And why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well , I would like to know who would pay someone to protest against unbridled capitalism and the fractional reserve monetary system. Seem contrary to any capitalists interests to pay someone to protest their business. Me thinks the professional protestor is a media myth. People protest because they are passionate about the issue. And the issue is not about jobs or the lack thereof. It is about the fractional reservesystem and how all this phoney money is being concentrated in the hands of the very few at the expense of the rest of us - at interest. Why did we have to bail out the pricks that screwed up so they could give themselves massive bonuses for screwing us. The media is purposely misguiding and misrepresenting the real purpose of the protests to turn public opinion against those involved out of the self interest of the rich who own the media.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Well , I would like to know who would pay someone to protest against unbridled capitalism and the fractional reserve monetary system. Seem contrary to any capitalists interests to pay someone to protest their business. Me thinks the professional protestor is a media myth. People protest because they are passionate about the issue. And the issue is not about jobs or the lack thereof. It is about the fractional reservesystem and how all this phoney money is being concentrated in the hands of the very few at the expense of the rest of us - at interest. Why did we have to bail out the pricks that screwed up so they could give themselves massive bonuses for screwing us. The media is purposely misguiding and misrepresenting the real purpose of the protests to turn public opinion against those involved out of the self interest of the rich who own the media.

Well it is documented that some of the Unions are kicking in for Tents, Firewood and even porta-potties. The professional protester is hardly a myth. Have you not heard of John Clarke and the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty? Have you not heard of the Black Block? Are you saying that these groups are not professional protesters?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

The David Suzuki Foundation (for one) is big business and I would not be the least surprised if that particular church....er...business was helping to cover the costs of some of the protesters.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well it is documented that some of the Unions are kicking in for Tents, Firewood and even porta-potties. The professional protester is hardly a myth. Have you not heard of John Clarke and the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty? Have you not heard of the Black Block? Are you saying that these groups are not professional protesters?
Well, I already weighed in on the black block before (police provocateurs). A coalition against poverty sounds very lucrative. Unions are paid to be protestors in all situations and this situation has a lot of self interest involved, what with most of their jobs being shipped to China and elsewhere.

But you guys go ahead and believe the media if you want. When they come for your jobs, there will be no one left to help you.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
And the issue is not about jobs or the lack thereof. It is about the fractional reservesystem and how all this phoney money is being concentrated in the hands of the very few at the expense of the rest of us - at interest. Why did we have to bail out the pricks that screwed up so they could give themselves massive bonuses for screwing us. The media is purposely misguiding and misrepresenting the real purpose of the protests to turn public opinion against those involved out of the self interest of the rich who own the media.

Well we bailed out the auto industry to save jobs. Had we let GM and Chrysler deep six I guarantee you that the blow to the job market would be a hell of a lot worse than it is now. Phoney money? What's that?

Gordon Lightfoot's daughter successfully got you to talk about it.

Talk about what? Do you think GL daughters is hard done by?

Well, I already weighed in on the black block before (police provocateurs). A coalition against poverty sounds very lucrative. Unions are paid to be protestors in all situations and this situation has a lot of self interest involved, what with most of their jobs being shipped to China and elsewhere.

Well the Coalition against Poverty is more like the guy you hire not to get your hands dirty. The Union donates money to them and then they commit violent acts. I'd like to know who funds the Black Block.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well we bailed out the auto industry to save jobs. Had we let GM and Chrysler deep six I guarantee you that the blow to the job market would be a hell of a lot worse than it is now. Phoney money? What's that?

Talk about what? Do you think GL daughters is hard done by?
We didn't bail out the auto industry, we loaned them money to get back on their feet and they have paid that money back. The bankers got a freebee. If you do not understand how the fractional reserve system works, then maybe you should educate yourself about it. It pulls money out of thin air (or, more correctly, out of some bank owner's ass.)

Why does someone have to be hard done by to get involved in a cause. Perhaps she just has a social conscience. People have those, you know.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Re: Gordon Lightfoot's Daughter to stay at Occupy Wall Street Forever

We didn't bail out the auto industry, we loaned them money to get back on their feet and they have paid that money back.

Cliff when you bail someone out they generally have to pay the money back. So we did bail out the auto industry.

The bankers got a freebee. If you do not understand how the fractional reserve system works, then maybe you should educate yourself about it. It pulls money out of thin air (or, more correctly, out of some bank owner's ass.)

No need to be snippy. I understand what happened with the banks, I also understand that the regulations on loaning people money under the Clinton Administration were completely abandoned and folks were allowed to borrow money for mortgages they could not possibly repay. I also know about the scumbags who ripped off investors for their pensions. And I agree that it was total bull.

Why does someone have to be hard done by to get involved in a cause. Perhaps she just has a social conscience. People have those, you know.

Bono has a social conscience and he is applying it. Tom Cochrane has a social conscience, in fact he had one before it was Sheik to head to Africa. There is nothing wrong with having a social conscience, but if she is not hard done and instead of saying she will stay they forever she could invest a bit of her good fortune in a manner that does not give the optic of the "Little Rich Girl" bedding down with the peasants.

Warren Buffet needs to stfu or start panhandling.

Warren Buffet is a joke. Most of his foundations are task shelters.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Cliff when you bail someone out they generally have to pay the money back. So we did bail out the auto industry.

No need to be snippy. I understand what happened with the banks, I also understand that the regulations on loaning people money under the Clinton Administration were completely abandoned and folks were allowed to borrow money for mortgages they could not possibly repay. I also know about the scumbags who ripped off investors for their pensions. And I agree that it was total bull.
I wasn't being snippy. That is what I think of the fractional reserve system but it sounds like you don't understand what it is or how it works.

Bono has a social conscience and he is applying it. Tom Cochrane has a social conscience, in fact he had one before it was Sheik to head to Africa. There is nothing wrong with having a social conscience, but if she is not hard done and instead of saying she will stay they forever she could invest a bit of her good fortune in a manner that does not give the optic of the "Little Rich Girl" bedding down with the peasants.

Warren Buffet is a joke. Most of his foundations are task shelters.

Is that a Freudian slip?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

I wasn't being snippy. That is what I think of the fractional reserve system but it sounds like you don't understand what it is or how it works.[

Well you can have the option (like everyone else) not to put your money in a system that is only required to actually hold a percentage of it, but then the economy was not only affected by poor banking practices.

Is that a Freudian slip?

Yes it absolutely was.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Well you can have the option (like everyone else) not to put your money in a system that is only required to actually hold a percentage of it, but then the economy was not only affected by poor banking practices.
What option are you talking about? There is only one monetary system we have access to.
The Fractional Reserve System on Vimeo

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

What option are you talking about? There is only one monetary system we have access to.
The Fractional Reserve System on Vimeo

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
We didn't bail out the auto industry, we loaned them money to get back on their feet and they have paid that money back.

No, they haven't paid that money back. Most of it was traded for shares, not paid back.

You have to read the details, not just the ads by the car companies to make you feel better.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I walked through the Toronto "Occupy" zone last night, what a joke. The highlight of it was watching people bang drums and smoke weed in the park gazebo.

In the early mornin rain
With my buddies in the park
Occupying on bay street
We'll sneak home right after dark

It would help if they were anywhere near Bay street... They're at Church and King, in the St Lawrence Market District opposed to the Financial.