Superhero sting: Teens dressed as heroes lured predators

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mounties are investigating three B.C. teenage boys who posed as underage girls online, lured men to meet them for sex then confronted the accused sexual predators dressed as superheroes.

The shenanigans were videotaped and posted in recent weeks on YouTube, under the title To Troll a Predator.

One video features what the boys describe as a 44-year-old male who was seeking to perform oral sex on a 15-year-old girl. The video shows screen grabs of the online chat, dated Nov. 5, and the agreement to meet at a Tim Hortons.

The video then cuts to footage of a man dressed as Batman, speaking in a Cookie Monster-esque voice, claiming to be with B.C.'s "Chilliwack Police Department."

"We have caught you talking to a 15-year-old girl online," the caped crusader says to the nervous-sounding man.

Another video shows a screen grab of a man asking what he believes to be an underage girl (actually the teen boys): "But you're '18' right?"

The boys reply: "i guess we could just say im '18.' "

That video then cuts to the man standing by a playground as "Batman" walks briskly toward him.

"You're here for the underaged girl," Batman growled.

"No," the man replied.

"I know who you are."

"Shut up."

Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth, spokeswoman for the Upper Fraser Valley RCMP, told media Tuesday police are investigating the boys, two of whom are reported to be 17 years old and one of whom is reported to be 18.

Hollingsworth noted the possible danger to the boys for embarrassing the men in public settings.

There are believed to be four videos in all, with a man dressed as the Flash also appearing in one.

The videos have since been pulled from YouTube.

A status update from Monday on the To Troll a Predator Facebook page said the future of the channel is unknown.

"Due to police intervention we will be discontinuing the To Troll a Predator series," it stated. "I hope those who viewed the videos shared many laughs with us while we could. Hope you understand."

The YouTube videos are modelled after To Catch a Predator, an American television series that teamed with online watchdog group Perverted Justice and eventually law enforcement officials to set up and execute stings on sexual predators.
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: Superhero sting: Teens dressed as heroes lured predators

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I vaguely recall hearing a little something about that on the news. I guess I should have stopped and listened. The link you have provided doesn't work now.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Maybe this will work. Took it from FB

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#

Gotta love those super heros...
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/superheroes+under+investigation+online+vigilante+justice+with+video/5716294/story.html

B.C. 'superheroes' under investigation for online vigilante justice (with video)
www.vancouversun.comMounties are investigating three B.C. teens who posed as underage girls online, lured men to meet them for sex then confronted the accused sexual predators dressed as superheroes.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No the police won't do that, instead they will put a camera or cameras in trees to
catch a spray paint artist that is much more important than catching people who
would harm our children. What troubles me here is why is it that teenage boys
have to do the work of police or be the ones who have to think outside the box
to catch some of these people?
While I think it is perhaps dangerous, these kids should be schooled on the
seriousness of the action but not investigated for their actions. And what of the
bad guys here did the police of any follow up on this or what?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No the police won't do that, instead they will put a camera or cameras in trees to
seriousness of the action but not investigated for their actions. And what of the
Read the news.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This kind of thing is not limited just to kids, there are apparently lots of "adults" who put on costumes and confront actual criminals. I saw an HBO doc on it.

The guy in the clip at the end, Master Legend, is quite trippy. If I recall correctly from the doc, right after he 'dodged traffic' to get to the 'justice van' he then proceeded to the back door, where he cracked open a beer.

Team Justice - YouTube

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I once heard of a gal in S'Toon picking up men in a bar taking them home, tieing them to the bed and her man coming into the room dressed as Spiderman and buggering the poor fellow.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

The police do do exactly what these kids were doing. There is a special RCMP/Vancouver police task force that trolls online boards pretending to be under age males and females.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The police do do exactly what these kids were doing. There is a special RCMP/Vancouver police task force that trolls online boards pretending to be under age males and females.
I wonder how many of their members have been caught.