Really? $4.3 Million for That Photo?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Art schmart. Likely described it as understated and minimalist carrying mournful notes...or some such sh!t. :lol:

This week, auction house Christie’s sold the above photo by Andreas Gursky for $4.3 million, setting the record for all-time most expensive photo (the previous record was set by Cindy Sherman’s “Untitled #96,” which sold for $3.89 million).
For many starving photographers in the 99%, this may be similar to seeing heads of the big banks getting giant bonuses while the rest of the economy suffers. But from van Gogh to Pollock, the “value” of art has always been in the eye of the beholder.

more

Really? $4.3 Million for That Photo? | Raw File

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I long ago came to the conclusion that many art "experts" are similar to the financial "experts" who completely missed the financial failures of the Bush era.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
That photo is a steaming pile of crap. I'm amazed that it actually sells for more then Ansel Adams original prints.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What did the buyer get - the negatives, prints, and right to reproduce and alter forever in all mediums?

Me, I'd rather have an Ansel Adams, or a Thaddeus Holownia, but to each his own.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
World record $4.34 million photo of the Rhine River

Click on photo for link to the online news article

Seems pricey, I wouldn't have paid more than $4.33 million for that. Must take a discerning eye.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Re: World record $4.34 million photo of the Rhine River

That was already posted but I don't mind sharing my thoughts again.... garbage.

Some horizontal lines, water and a grey sky... masterpiece, give me 4.5 million.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Ahh, that Loc news bot...don't quit your day job Tonington...:lol:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

I would hang it in the bathroom the guests use, just to keep them from wanting to stay in there very long.

Some horizontal lines, water and a grey sky... masterpiece, give me 4.5 million.
At least the lines are going straight across the picture, being slightly off might even be an improvement for this particular one, just to see the whole crowd viewing it lean over to one side as a 'group effort'.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Seriously, Durka. Having seen your photography skills, I honestly believe your work to be worth more money than the photo in the OP should have gotten.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm going to merge both of the threads pertaining to this topic. Since Locutus's was first, I will merge Ton's into this one.:)