Failed Crematorium in Georgia

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Links:

Does America Have a Cremation Crisis? - ABC News

Tri-State Crematory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Third Group of Dumped Bodies Found Near Georgia Crematory | Fox News

This is really old news that predates most of us here. I remembered the story but I couldn't
remember what happened with it.

Does America Have a Cremation Crisis?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=87335&page=1#

Email
Comment
Print
Single Page
Text Size
- / +

Feb. 28

It must have seemed like a bad horror film scene when authorities found hundreds of bodies on the grounds of a Georgia crematory. But Americans may find it nearly as disturbing to realize how few laws govern the industry they trust with the remains of their loved ones.
As horrific as the uncovering is of 339 bodies found so far at Ray Brent Marsh's Tri-State Crematory, near Noble, Ga., state officials can at least point to the stricter government regulations covering its crematoriums than most other states have on their books. It is one of only six states, for instance, requiring owners of crematoriums to have a certified funeral directors' license.
"The irony of the situation is, Georgia actually had a reasonably decent regulatory scheme," says Lamar Hankins, president of the Funeral Consumers Alliance in Austin, Texas.
By contrast, nationwide, 10 states have no laws at all regulating crematoriums. And while funeral home directors themselves make most of the arrangements with crematoriums, their national licensing exam has no questions about crematorium operations.
All told, that's not a very high level of oversight for an industry that constitutes a large part of the nation's $14 billion funeral business. About a quarter of all bodies in the United States are cremated, totaling about 600,000 in 1999, according to industry estimates. There are almost 1,500 crematoriums across the country.

"There's no question there needs to be better regulations of cremation," acknowledges Lisa Carlson of the Funeral and Memorial Societies of America, in Vermont. She adds: "I think we're likely to see a flurry of legislative efforts as a result of the situation in Georgia."
Scattering Ashes in the Sun Belt
At a minimum, the Tri-State Crematory case will draw a lot of attention to a fast-growing industry created by Americans' desire to cremate bodies of family or friends, rather than burying them in cemeteries.
Cremations, which began in earnest in this country more than a century ago, are now growing especially popular among the well-off and in rapidly-growing Sun Belt areas where retirees have moved — and thus have fewer community roots that might otherwise compel them to have regular burials in cemeteries.
Among the main reasons individuals cite for using cremation, according to the Cremation Association of North America, are the relatively lower expense and less land use compared to burial, and the relative convenience. CANA projects that 50 percent of all bodies will be cremated by the year 2025.
But if the number of cremations is on the increase, the number of government officials checking up on them is not. And if tightening regulations is necessary, enforcing the law, as the Georgia case shows, is another matter.
"It always comes down to the enforcement capabilities," says Tom Snyder, CANA president.
But very few states devote significant resources to monitoring the industry. Georgia has a staff of two checking crematoriums — the same as Texas, which is far larger.
"I'm not saying that's enough for Georgia, but it's certainly not enough for Texas," says Hankins.
Out of Sight
The agency in charge of monitoring crematoriums varies greatly from state to state, too, further complicating the regulatory picture.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This sounds like a horror story.

It certainly does.

A third site of dumped bodies was discovered near a crematory where hundreds of corpses have been found, a medical examiner said at a news conference before he was interrupted by a newly imposed gag order.
Walker County District Attorney Buzz Franklin rushed into the news conference Thursday to distribute copies of the gag order just as Georgia state medical examiner Dr. Kris Sperry was talking about the discovery of more corpses at Tri-State Crematory.
The order, obtained by defense attorney Ken Poston, covers virtually everyone involved in the case, including witnesses, officials and investigators.
Before the order was delivered, Sperry said 283 bodies had been retrieved, and 54 of those had been identified. He was cut off before he had an opportunity to elaborate on the third site.
After spending five days in jail, crematory operator Ray Brent Marsh was scheduled to appear in Magistrate Court at a bond hearing Friday afternoon.
Marsh, 28, faces 16 counts of theft by deception for allegedly discarding hundreds of bodies instead of cremating them. More charges, including possible federal counts, are pending.
State officials said recovering and identifying bodies and cleaning up the site could cost far more than the $10 million estimate given earlier this week.
"There's just no way to even guess at a cost until we stop finding bodies. And we're finding them everywhere," Georgia Emergency Management Director Gary McConnell said.
The operation to recover human remains from pits, sheds, metal vaults and even a shallow lake near the crematory could take at least eight months, officials said.
Investigators said they plan to drain the lake, where they have already found a skull and a torso, as soon as the rest of the 16-acre site has been searched.
"We've got to make sure there aren't any bodies [buried] downstream of the lake before we dump 100,000 gallons of water out," McConnell said.
Georgia legislators who toured the crematory grounds Thursday said the scene was worse than they imagined.
"We saw the pits, we saw the bodies removed. It's indescribable," said Rep. Barbara Massey Reece of nearby Chattooga County.
Rep. Chuck Sims, a funeral director, said he cannot fathom how someone could treat dead bodies with such disrespect.
"These people probably all died of natural causes, but now it's almost like a trauma death," Sims said. "It's almost like they've been violated."
Another visiting lawmaker, Rep. Mike Snow, said he's authored a new bill that would tighten licensing and inspection requirements for crematories, and another that would make it a felony to desecrate or abuse a human corpse.
Snow, who represents the part of Walker County where Tri-State is located, introduced a bill in 1992 that would have exempted it from state inspection.
That bill went nowhere, but in 1995 Snow managed to gain passage for a measure that gave Tri-State's owners a two-year reprieve from regulation.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Three of my relatives have been cremated and in each case we got back a
a box of ashes. I assume that in Georgia they don't care about the ashes, but
if they didn't burn the bodies, where would they get the ashes? Fireplace
sweepings?..:roll::smile:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Three of my relatives have been cremated and in each case we got back a
a box of ashes. I assume that in Georgia they don't care about the ashes, but
if they didn't burn the bodies, where would they get the ashes? Fireplace
sweepings?..:roll::smile:

These nitwits are so stupid its almost funny. What were they corpse hoarders too afraid to throw something out?

Oh good grief, was that my outside voice?

Now TLC will be adding that to their lineup of Kateplus8, Big World crazy Midget Family and Repo911.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I recall hearing a similiar story come out of the American south a
couple of years back....so this isn't the first time this has happened.

This is that story.

These nitwits are so stupid its almost funny. What were they corpse hoarders too afraid to throw something out?

Oh good grief, was that my outside voice?

Now TLC will be adding that to their lineup of Kateplus8, Big World crazy Midget Family and Repo911.

Oh boy! Won't that be fun. We can only hope right?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:lol: """found, a medical examiner said at a news conference before he was interrupted by a newly imposed gag order."""

As if one would need an order to gag.:laughing6:

Looks like a lot of customers got burned.

.................or not.

Read this story when it was hot news............pretty nasty stuff.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
:lol: """found, a medical examiner said at a news conference before he was interrupted by a newly imposed gag order."""

As if one would need an order to gag.:laughing6:

Looks like a lot of customers got burned.

.................or not.

Read this story when it was hot news............pretty nasty stuff.

I read the initial story as well. I just couldn't remember how it turned out.
There is quite a bit of new information around, and at least four books have been written about it.