McDonald's bans employees from wearing poppies on the job, says it's for safety

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

The Canadian Press
http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/por...capfeed/national/13736573.xml&CatID=National#http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/por...capfeed/national/13736573.xml&CatID=National#http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/por...capfeed/national/13736573.xml&CatID=National#http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/por...capfeed/national/13736573.xml&CatID=National#http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/por...capfeed/national/13736573.xml&CatID=National#

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. - Some employees at a McDonald's in southern Alberta aren't loving that they can't wear poppies.
Employees at one of the fast-food giant's restaurants in Lethbridge were told that wearing poppies for Remembrance Day while working is banned.
McDonald's Canada said in a statement that employees who work behind the counter are not allowed to wear traditional poppies because "straight pins pose a potential serious safety hazard in food preparation areas of our restaurants."
Alberta Health Services spokesman James Frey said there is no specific legislation that bans the use of pins while working in restaurants.
He also says there is no law on whether food handlers can wear poppies, and Frey says the agency does not inspect or enforce poppy policies in restaurants.
Some other fast-food restaurants canvassed in Lethbridge say they do allow employees to wear poppies with backs on the pins.
"We encourage all our employees to wear poppies on their outerwear as their way of saluting the efforts of our veterans and our forces currently in action," McDonald's said in the statement.
"McDonald's commitment to the Royal Canadian Legion and our men and women in uniform is unwavering and we will continue to support them in every way possible.
"That's why we partner each year with the Royal Canadian Legion to welcome veterans and volunteers into our restaurants to sell poppies and spread the spirit of gratefulness all Canadians have for our veterans."
(CHLB)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Just made up my mind who I won't be buying food from, this is a disgrace nothing short
of it. Safety my backside. There were men and women who died by the thousands so
these weasels can operate their business and enjoy the freedoms we share and they are
disrespectful to suggest this is a safety issue. I have been on work safe committees and
committees that in some cases set the rules for some portions of our industry and you
can not tell me that wearing a poppy is going to become a safety issue. Nonsense

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The Canadian Press

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. - Some employees at a McDonald's in southern Alberta aren't loving that they can't wear poppies.
Employees at one of the fast-food giant's restaurants in Lethbridge were told that wearing poppies for Remembrance Day while working is banned.
McDonald's Canada said in a statement that employees who work behind the counter are not allowed to wear traditional poppies because "straight pins pose a potential serious safety hazard in food preparation areas of our restaurants."
Alberta Health Services spokesman James Frey said there is no specific legislation that bans the use of pins while working in restaurants.
He also says there is no law on whether food handlers can wear poppies, and Frey says the agency does not inspect or enforce poppy policies in restaurants.
Some other fast-food restaurants canvassed in Lethbridge say they do allow employees to wear poppies with backs on the pins.
"We encourage all our employees to wear poppies on their outerwear as their way of saluting the efforts of our veterans and our forces currently in action," McDonald's said in the statement.
"McDonald's commitment to the Royal Canadian Legion and our men and women in uniform is unwavering and we will continue to support them in every way possible.
"That's why we partner each year with the Royal Canadian Legion to welcome veterans and volunteers into our restaurants to sell poppies and spread the spirit of gratefulness all Canadians have for our veterans."
(CHLB)

The level of idiocy at McDonalds is commensurate with the quality of swill that they serve. :roll:

Just made up my mind who I won't be buying food from, this is a disgrace nothing short
of it. Safety my backside. There were men and women who died by the thousands so
these weasels can operate their business and enjoy the freedoms we share and they are
disrespectful to suggest this is a safety issue. I have been on work safe committees and
committees that in some cases set the rules for some portions of our industry and you
can not tell me that wearing a poppy is going to become a safety issue. Nonsense

Perhaps a person should check with W.C.B. to see how many workers become incompassitated each year at Rememberance Day from being stuck with a poppy pin! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'd prefer a human blood free meal. If they are creative they'll proudly wear the poppy without using a pin.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What's the big deal?

1. I have long ago stopped wearing poppies as they are distributed. I replace the pin with a Canada pin with a clamp on the back. Haven't lost once since I made the switch. This would satisfy the requirement above.
2. They are allowing legion members to sell poppies to the public in their restaurants.
3. Would you want to bite down on a straight pin in your big mac?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Funny how everyone jumps to wacky conclusions without understanding the reason, or reading the article. People who work in food service aren't supposed to wear things that are likely to fall into the food, and the poppies don't stay in well.

The article says they aren't supposed to wear traditional poppies, for this very reason.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Perhaps a person should check with W.C.B. to see how many workers become incompassitated each year at Rememberance Day from being stuck with a poppy pin! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Talk about people being unclear on the concept. They are talking about a food preparation area. Obviously somebody has done an assessment and found that the risk posed (straight pins getting into food) outweighs the benefit (making the PC crowd all warm and fuzzy).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Talk about people being unclear on the concept. They are talking about a food preparation area. Obviously somebody has done an assessment and found that the risk posed (straight pins getting into food) outweighs the benefit (making the PC crowd all warm and fuzzy).

Chefs are supposed to wear caps. I've worn my poppy in my cap with the pin pointed down and have never lost a poppy worn thus.
Another solution is to take a pair of pliers and bend the end of the pin back 180 degrees. I suppose if the geniuses running McDonalds had the mental ability to figure that out they wouldn't be working at McDonalds. :lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Chefs are supposed to wear caps. I've worn my poppy in my cap with the pin pointed down and have never lost a poppy worn thus.

I'm proud of you.

Another solution is to take a pair of pliers and bend the end of the pin back 180 degrees.

An easier solution would be to just not wear them in a food preparation area (99% of the population will understand the logic and the other 1% could probably work at McDonalds).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm proud of you.

Heads up for you. Your pride ranks # 1216 on my list of reasons for my self esteem and well being!

An easier solution would be to just not wear them in a food preparation area (99% of the population will understand the logic and the other 1% could probably work at McDonalds).

F**k that bullsh*t. It's a matter of principle that done properly presents no peril to the public.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Another solution is to take a pair of pliers and bend the end of the pin back 180 degrees. I suppose if the geniuses running McDonalds had the mental ability to figure that out they wouldn't be working at McDonalds. :lol:

I think it falls out when it gets brushed or bumped which probably doesn't happen with a chef's cap.

But anybody can replace the pin entirely with a pin with a back. Works like a charm wherever its worn. And also not against McDonald's regulations.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I'd be more impressed if they stayed quiet for 2 minutes come 11 o'clock. Poppies or no poppies.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

If the geniuses reading the original article had the mental ability to figure out that the article refers to 'traditional' poppies, they would realize that simply changing the attachment method would make them non-traditional poppies, and therefore not banned.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd rather they didn't wear traditional poppies in food preparation areas for a couple reasons. Buy the black centre pins with backs, and the issue goes away.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If the geniuses reading the original article had the mental ability to figure out that the article refers to 'traditional' poppies, they would realize that simply changing the attachment method would make them non-traditional poppies, and therefore not banned.

They walk among us. :lol:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I'd prefer a human blood free meal. If they are creative they'll proudly wear the poppy without using a pin.
Neither the employees or MacDonald's themselves have to get very creative. What I see the majority of people doing now is buying the tiny Canadian Flag pin that has a more secure backing on it and placing it in the middle of the poppy so that the poppy doesn't get lost and "no blood is shed".

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Neither the employees or MacDonald's themselves have to get very creative. What I see the majority of people doing now is buying the tiny Canadian Flag pin that has a more secure backing on it and placing it in the middle of the poppy so that the poppy doesn't get lost and "no blood is shed".

I used to loose poppies all the time until I started to use some of my wife earing stud holders on the pin. Haven't lost a poppy since.