Ryerson student takes veganism discrimination dispute to Human Rights Tribunal of Ont

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ryerson student takes veganism discrimination dispute to Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario

Ryerson University student takes veganism discrimination dispute to Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario | News | National Post

The Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario is to decide whether ethical veganism is a creed, as protected by anti-discrimination laws, in the case of a Ryerson University master’s student in social work who claims senior faculty “sabotaged” her career because of her moral equivalence of animals and humans.

Sinem Ketenci, 37, who immigrated from Turkey as a young woman and studied at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay before doing a master’s at Ryerson, alleges a senior professor disagreed with her comparison of maltreated animals with marginalized people, said the connection was “very inhuman and racist,” and pressured Ms. Ketenci’s untenured supervisor into withdrawing his recommendation of her PhD candidacy at other schools, which she called an academic “kiss of death.”

In an interview Monday, Ms. Ketenci said the fallout has extended to her personal life, costing her friends among fellow students, and left her “traumatized.”

“This systemic discrimination and harassment that silences marginalized minority peoples’ voices, such as me as a Racialized Ethical Vegan, is a serious threat towards freedom of speech and freedom of belief,” Ms. Ketenci writes in her complaint to the tribunal.

“I entered the [master’s] program with good intentions, and instead, I was attacked and treated unfairly because of my belief in ethical veganism and because I am a member of a marginalized community, vegan animal rights activists.”

Ryerson declined to comment Monday and has not filed a written response. The complaint has only just been laid. If it is accepted, mediation will precede a hearing.

Correspondence from the school to Ms. Ketenci indicates it views the dispute as an academic matter, exempt from discrimination law.

Ms. Ketenci implies racism motivated the decision to reject her research project on animal rights in social work, but does not explicitly allege it.

“If I were white, born here, this case would not have happened,” she said

Cassandra Hanrahan, assistant professor at Dalhousie University’s School of Social Work in Halifax, published a paper in August describing her encounters with “speciesism, a specific form of discrimination based on species not recognized within social work’s anti-oppressive practice paradigm.”

Through “epiphanies” she felt while walking her dogs — Aureole, a 15-year-old border collie, and Ramon, a beagle — Prof. Hanrahan describes herself as a “witness to animals as marginalized groups whose exploitation is symbolically and empirically linked to the exploitation of marginalized and disenfranchised groups of humans.”

Note
Guess hse better get rid of those leather sneakers eh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism

Veganism is the practice of eliminating the use of animal products. Ethical vegans reject the commodity status of animals and the use of animal products for any purpose, while dietary vegans or strict vegetarians eliminate them from their diet only.[1] Another form, environmental veganism, rejects the use of animal products on the premise that the industrial practice is environmentally damaging and unsustainable.[2]

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Not sure about the racist bit, but utilitarianism also accepts a moral equivalence of treatment between animals and humans on the basis that both are autonomous beings capable of experiencing pain and suffering. It's a pretty well respected doctrine, and if the prof isn't aware he can ask my Rye-high, ethics teach about it just down the hall.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not sure about the racist bit, but utilitarianism also accepts a moral equivalence of treatment between animals and humans on the basis that both are autonomous beings capable of experiencing pain and suffering. It's a pretty well respected doctrine, and if the prof isn't aware he can ask my Rye-high, ethics teach about it just down the hall.

Do they also get the vote?:smile:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Do they also get the vote?:smile:

What, animals?

This is about ethics, not democracy. If I had a stronger will, I would give up all meat as well. But it's a personal choice that has a pretty good utilitarian foundation.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What, animals?

This is about ethics, not democracy. If I had a stronger will, I would give up all meat as well. But it's a personal choice that has a pretty good utilitarian foundation.

Then where would you get that very tiny amount of trans fats the body needs to stay healthy.

http://www.naturalnews.com/034010_trans_fats_natural.html

Spencer Proctor, a researcher in the Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science and director of the Metabolic and Cardiovascular Diseases Laboratory at UA, and his colleagues arrived at this conclusion after conducting an in-depth review of different types of trans fats. They found that ruminant trans fats found in meat and dairy products have a vastly different fatty acid profile than industrial trans fats like hydrogenated vegetable oil.

The natural trans fats found in organic, pasture-based animal meat and dairy products can actually help reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease and cancer, while industrial trans fats found in various processed foods lead to conditions like high cholesterol and coronary heart disease.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure meat products can provide a negligible health benefit in certain limited aspects of nutrition. I would still say that a vegetarian for all intents and purposes is the healthier diet and one that is better for the environment and the well-being of animals in as much as how the demand would change the industry.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'm sure meat products can provide a negligible health benefit in certain limited aspects of nutrition. I would still say that a vegetarian for all intents and purposes is the healthier diet and one that is better for the environment and the well-being of animals in as much as how the demand would change the industry.

I would also lean that way. No pun intended. But we are meat & fish eaters. Why are we still flesh eaters- taste is one main reason.

And the deal killer is listed below.Also it is not a HR Case in my opinion but an academic one as stated by Ryerson

“I entered the [master’s] program with good intentions, and instead, I was attacked and treated unfairly because of my belief in ethical veganism and because I am a member of a marginalized community, vegan animal rights activists.”
Ms. Ketenci implies racism motivated the decision to reject her research project on animal rights in social work, but does not explicitly allege it.

“If I were white, born here, this case would not have happened,” she said

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
She needs to decide if it's because she's white or a vegetarian, lol

I'm going to wait for more info. on this one, but my spidey-sense tells me her case is bull****.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
And here I thought getting a post-graduate degree required you to deal with some aspect of the discipline chosen, and to demonstate that you have some form of a functioning intellect.

Guess I'm just old-fashioned.

Not that "social work" is an actual academic discipline.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not that "social work" is an actual academic discipline.
Since Kooter began mentoring Native youth and become an Elders helper. He's been offered a scholarship, so long as his chosen course, pertains to social work.

He's really on the fence, since he wants to own his own restaurant.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Since Kooter began mentoring Native youth and become an Elders helper. He's been offered a scholarship, so long as his chosen course, pertains to social work.

He's really on the fence, since he wants to own his own restaurant.
You don't own restaurants - they own you. I hope he goes with the social work. Too many restaurants already and it's a hard hard business to profit in.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You don't own restaurants - they own you. I hope he goes with the social work. Too many restaurants already and it's a hard hard business to profit in.
I managed a Pizza place years ago, I've warned him, lol. But for him, it's a passion. We pay $110 a month, so he can take the GoBus to school in another district, because it has a culinary course, and a football team.

Although I'd love it if he was drafted into the NFL someday, I think his passion for cooking is far stronger.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I managed a Pizza place years ago, I've warned him, lol. But for him, it's a passion. We pay $110 a month, so he can take the GoBus to school in another district, because it has a culinary course, and a football team.

Although I'd love it if he was drafted into the NFL someday, I think his passion for cooking is far stronger.

I'd encourage the NFL dream. If he plays those cards right he can open up any damn restaurant he wants after.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know that I'd trust a social worker who views most of her clients as no better than animals, which is exactly what she's done if you look at her comparing marginalized people to mistreated animals.

The fact that even her friends haven't stuck by her, tells me that there is more to her story, more to how she offends people, than just the fact that she's a vegan from Turkey. Colleges and Universities are riddled with vegans.

Social work and feeding people can easily go hand in hand. Just throwing it out there :) When I was renting to a girl through social services, she used to go twice a week to a community kitchen to learn how to cook, and put her meals together there for the week.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't know that I'd trust a social worker who views most of her clients as no better than animals, which is exactly what she's done if you look at her comparing marginalized people to mistreated animals.

The fact that even her friends haven't stuck by her, tells me that there is more to her story, more to how she offends people, than just the fact that she's a vegan from Turkey.

Good point.

Colleges and Universities are riddled with vegans.

It is the age for that phase, for some.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

I'm of the same opinion as her. You're looking at it as her lowering her view of humans whereas for me its raising my view of animals.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

Animal protein has been a year-round staple for most populations for all recorded time, with vegetation being a supplement during the warmer months. How advanced a society is, or was, and their geographic location determines the balance between the two. Generations of consuming a particular diet conditions the body genetically. Switching to a total vegetarian or vegan diet may show no ill effect immediately, but may effect future generations. The practise of turning rumanants into omnivores lead to disastrous results in a very short time. If vegetarian diets were so heathy the demand for the scientific wisardry in manufactured dietary supplements would not be needed.

I'm of the same opinion as her. You're looking at it as her lowering her view of humans whereas for me its raising my view of animals.

Unless you already had a lower view of animals I don't see how she could raise it without lowering your view of humans. It is the purpose of animal rights groups to do just that, and virulent veganism is a part of it. They use relativism in much the same way as any pressure group, even our supreme court uses it, and it works, to the detriment of society. If you can't raise the bar on one side, you lower it on the other. It is done by demonizing humans, (the ones who don't follow their ideology), and deifying animals. It is not enough for these groups to make a choice for themselves, but to force this choice on everyone else, either through shame, or by government decree, i.e. the EU ban on Canadian seal products. I suppose I'll give them more credit when they are able to convince lions and tigers to abide by their morality and leave the zebras and antelope alone.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
We don't need meat and are healthier without it. Becoming a vegetarian is in fact good for us, the environment and the well being of the sentient creatures (with fully developed nervous systems) that we slaughter everyday.

This is a personal choice, but society will continue to move in that direction. One gambit that we have to get over in order to help settle this is for people to accept death, but not slaughter.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We don't need meat and are healthier without it. Becoming a vegetarian is in fact good for us, the environment and the well being of the sentient creatures (with fully developed nervous systems) that we slaughter everyday.

This is a personal choice, but society will continue to move in that direction. One gambit that we have to get over in order to help settle this is for people to accept death, but not slaughter.

Perhaps you don't need meat, but I certainly do. Now take your mango smoothie and beat it, kid! :p