Tunisia’s Islamist-led government rejects laws to enforce religion

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Tunisia’s Islamist-led government will focus on democracy, human rights and a free-market economy in planned changes to the constitution, effectively leaving religion out of the text it will draw up, party leaders said.

The government, due to be announced next week, will not introduce sharia or other Islamic concepts to alter the secular nature of the constitution in force when Tunisia’s Arab Spring revolution ousted autocrat Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in January.

“We are against trying to impose a particular way of life,” Ennahda leader Rachid Ghannouchi, 70, a lifelong Islamist activist jailed and exiled under previous regimes, told Reuters.

Tunisia

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
You bought the lie.

Unlike most religions that speak highly of truthfulness, lying is fully permitted in Islam through a principle called taqiyya. In Tunisia, the mosques are controlled by the state. Guess who is trying to gain as much influence as possible in the mosques before the state has any real control over them? The hardliners.

Tunisia's mosques face "gradual conquest by the most hardline Islamists"

Article:

The phenomenon had already begun in the days following the dramatic fall of Zine El Abidine Ben Ali. The toppling of the dictator created a power vacuum that was attended to only in theory by the appointment of a provisional government, with utmost confusion regarding roles and jurisdiction, while the situation paved the way for an aggressive strategy by hardliners who, after being opposed and repressed in the 23 years of Ben Ali's regime, took advantage of the flight of the hated dictator and moved to take control of as many mosques as possible, a manifestation of real power, not only in the religious sense.

Democracy and freedom as we know it here in the west coming to Tunisia? I doubt it.

Hey goreObessed!

Did you know that you and CUBert have the exact same M.O.? Handing out red thumbs with no response to the post you disagree with!

Islam's got you wrapped around their little finger.

Last edited:

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Which religions speak highly of truthfulness? Not yours, certainly.
Nothing on Jihadwatch can be constured as factual, simply for the fact it's a hate site and can't be trusted.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Which religions speak highly of truthfulness? Not yours, certainly.

How do you know what religion I am? I thought you were a new member!

Nothing on Jihadwatch can be constured as factual, simply for the fact it's a hate site and can't be trusted.
Oh! So Boko Haram didn't claim "whoever we kill, we kill because Allah said we should kill and we kill for a reason" as reported on JIHADWATCH?

Facts. But you have no choice but to call it a "hate site" because you bought the lie of "Islamophobia".

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Somehow I think by the time all is said and done their version of democracy will be to stick your ass up in the air towards the west 5 times a day or die.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
For a country that has always had its government toppled and rebuilt radical everytime after it was dissolved. This is a good start, especially if theyre follwing turkeys imperfect model. Time and history will judge whether they repeat the same mistakes as their forefathers....

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No surprise to me that the bigots and brain dead would jump right in and bash Islam right from the get go. Just shows that their talk about needing Muslims to "show" rather than the "silence". Tunisia is doing just that, and still the morons jump right in and bash em any ways. Congratulations guys.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011

Oh! So Boko Haram didn't claim "whoever we kill, we kill because Allah said we should kill and we kill for a reason" as reported on JIHADWATCH?

Facts. But you have no choice but to call it a "hate site" because you bought the lie of "Islamophobia".
Who the hell is Boko Haram? What the hell does it matter what Boko Haram says? :lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It matters to bigots. Anything ANY self proclaimed Muslim says/does is held up as PROOF of what ALL Muslims are like.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

I visited JIHADWATCH and I conclude that it is a hate site and that if anybody has bought into any lies it would be you. There is no doubt that radical Islam is a threat to western interests in the Middle East, but it is the western foreign policy for the past 75 years or more that is to blame for that. There would be no Islamic radical fundamentalists if it wasn't for the west's interference in their internal affairs.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I visited JIHADWATCH and I conclude that it is a hate site and that if anybody has bought into any lies it would be you. There is no doubt that radical Islam is a threat to western interests in the Middle East, but it is the western foreign policy for the past 75 years or more that is to blame for that. There would be no Islamic radical fundamentalists if it wasn't for the west's interference in their internal affairs.

So, the West is responsible for honor killings, beheadings, stonings etc.? Huh - who'da thunk that? I know that the US foreign policies have angered many a nation, but.....being responsible for Sharia law, etc. - think that's kinda stretching things abit.

Puzzled.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So, the West is responsible for honor killings, beheadings, stonings etc.? Huh - who'da thunk that? I know that the US foreign policies have angered many a nation, but.....being responsible for Sharia law, etc. - think that's kinda stretching things abit.

Puzzled.

and this has what to do with the OP? Nothing.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Puzzled.
And how is any of that a threat to western interests?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Civility (or lack thereof) is always a concern except to those that wish to look the other way.

and this has what to do with the OP? Nothing.

Nothing. It has to do with Cliffy's post...hence the quote.

There would be no Islamic radical fundamentalists if it wasn't for the west's interference in their internal affairs.

Nonsense. Radical fundamentalism stems from a fear of modernity.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Just shows that their talk about needing Muslims to "show" rather than the "silence". Tunisia is doing just that

The party leaders ambiguously said they would "focus on democracy, human rights, a free market, and leave religion out of it". You seem to put a lot of stock into what they say. When I see - no matter the minority - Christians sharing their faith in public, and atheist bus advertisements in Tunisia, then I will admit that the leaders of Tunisia meant it when they said they would "focus on democracy, human rights and a free market".

We'll see. If Egypt is any indication of the fallout of the Arab spring, it doesn't look good.

Also, if you're going to throw insults around, why don't you try quoting me and calling me a bigot directly? Don't shout generally-directed insults from the corner of the room. Or you can try something different and actually supply reasons why you we're wrong about a possible tyrannical government coming to power in Tunisia.

Who the hell is Boko Haram? What the hell does it matter what Boko Haram says? :lol:

You don't think it matters that we know the motivations behind a group of men that just killed 69 people?

I'm not surprised. It's because you don't want to confront the reality of Islam. NEWSFLASH: They kill because "Allah said".

There is no doubt that radical Islam is a threat to western interests in the Middle East, but it is the western foreign policy for the past 75 years or more that is to blame for that. There would be no Islamic radical fundamentalists if it wasn't for the west's interference in their internal affairs.

That's actually a very RACIST opinion. You're implying that Muslims are uncontrollable animals and of lower intelligence. They don't like our foreign policy, yet they don't know how to protest peacefully? They don't know how to lobby? They don't know how to write a letter? They don't know how to start an association? We're not blame for Islamic terrorism. Islamic militants are.

And we're not meddling in their affairs. We want peace and freedom in the Middle East and they're meddling in our affairs! Sending weapons to the Mujahideen, financial aid to Hamas and Hezbollah. They're will never be true freedom for the average M.E. citizen while these groups have influence.

It matters to bigots. Anything ANY self proclaimed Muslim says/does is held up as PROOF of what ALL Muslims are like.

69 people killed and you just write it off like nothing. Wow. 8O

When the freedom of an Afghan is threatened or taken away, our freedom is threatened too. Freedom should be for all, not contained to one part of the world, otherwise the "contained area" is at risk of getting smaller and smaller!

What if freedom wasn't only in the west, but rather only in British Columbia? Would you still be okay with the rest of world living in slavery, or would it finally start feeling closer to home?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Civility (or lack thereof) is always a concern except to those that wish to look the other way.

Nothing. It has to do with Cliffy's post...hence the quote.

Nonsense. Radical fundamentalism stems from a fear of modernity.
Radical fundamentalism comes from the west bombing the crap out of and shooting their women, elderly and children.
I guarantee that if any country came to Canada and started doing the same thing to us, you and all the rest of us would be fighting back too. The whole Muslim fundamental movement came as a reaction in Iran to the US replacing their elected leader with the brutal Shaw. If you want civility, stop interfering in other people's business.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011

Puzzled.
No, the west is responsible for much worse. Let's ignore history though.