Robber nabbed by a couple of MMA dudes

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
LAPD: Hotel Robber Nabbed by Guests in Town for Martial Arts Tourney

LOS ANGELES -- A 31-year-old man accused of robbing a hotel clerk at gunpoint was captured by two martial arts experts visiting from Oregon.

It happened Wednesday at a hotel in the 300 block of N. Vermont Avenue.

Surveillance video shows the suspect, identified as Luis Rosales, wandering around the hotel lobby.

The clerk, fearing he was going to be shot, opened the register and gave the suspect money, according to police.

During the robbery, an elevator door opened, and two hotel guests who happened to be martial arts experts in town for a martial arts tournament heard the clerk's cry for help and immediately took action.

The pair grabbed the suspect who was holding a gun in his right hand.

During the tussle with the suspect, the Good Samaritans repeatedly asked him to drop the gun and stop struggling, police say.

The pair was finally able to wrestle the gun from the suspect and took him to the ground with a leg sweep and then held him on the ground until officers arrived.

Rosales, a resident of Los Angeles, was taken into custody without further incident.

A loaded 9mm handgun and the money taken from the cash register were found inside Rosales' backpack, police say.

Rosales was booked for armed robbery with a firearm.

He is being held on $101,250 bail.

LAPD: Hotel Robber Nabbed by Guests in Town for Martial Arts Tourney - ktla.com

Looks like they eventually choked him out. Anyway, sucks to be this loser.

Hotel Robber Nabbed by Good Samaritans Visiting Los Angeles for Martial Arts Tournament - YouTube

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
At 23:38:25 while the Guests at wrestling the criminal, an employee
(I'm assuming) casually just walks into the office. I'm assuming there
would have been quite a bit of noise he'd have to ignore in doing so.
People are weird.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
At 23:38:25 while the Guests at wrestling the criminal, an employee
(I'm assuming) casually just walks into the office. I'm assuming there
would have been quite a bit of noise he'd have to ignore in doing so.
People are weird.

It was his break and he was hungry.;)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It was his break and he was hungry.;)
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
How many people encounter people dieing, being robbed, raped or otherwise being violated, and just walk on by like nothing is happening because they might be late for their favourite soap opera or for work? Seems to be human nature.
As Frank Zappa said: "It can't happen here!" or Pink Floyd: "I'm comfortably numb."

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
How many people encounter people dieing, being robbed, raped or otherwise being violated, and just walk on by like nothing is happening because they might be late for their favourite soap opera or for work? Seems to be human nature.
As Frank Zappa said: "It can't happen here!" or Pink Floyd: "I'm comfortably numb."

Far too many people. There was an article somewhere about a child in China that was hit by not one, but TWO different vehicles, and people just kept walking on by. There was also a good samaritan that tried to help out a mugged woman and was stabbed for this. People kept walking by him while he bled to death. He may have survived if just ONE of those people had called 911. I wonder if the person that stabbed him was ever caught?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Far too many people. There was an article somewhere about a child in China that was hit by not one, but TWO different vehicles, and people just kept walking on by. There was also a good samaritan that tried to help out a mugged woman and was stabbed for this. People kept walking by him while he bled to death. He may have survived if just ONE of those people had called 911. I wonder if the person that stabbed him was ever caught?
It is a sad commentary. I guess we have not evolved as much as we would like to think.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It is a sad commentary. I guess we have not evolved as much as we would like to think.

I think humanity will always have a dark side. It just remains to be seen how many people choose to embrace it.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Most people do not have the ability to take down someone armed with a handgun. What these two guys did was the exception, not the norm.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
and dangerous... Everyone has hero fantasies, but the average person would be taking a huge risk attempting to stop someone with a weapon. Other possible outcomes could have been the serious injury or deaths of the MMA guys, the clerk and/or the robber.

The best thing to do during a robbery is cooperate. The sooner they flee with the money, the better... Only when the stakes have been raised to an clear threat to life should anyone consider intervening. Life is more valuable than material things.

Also you don't know how you will react until you find yourself in a situation like this.

this is guy is dumb and lucky
http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...r-deters-robber-beating-suspect-with-his-cane

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
and dangerous... Everyone has hero fantasies, but the average person would be taking a huge risk attempting to stop someone with a weapon. Other possible outcomes could have been the serious injury or deaths of the MMA guys, the clerk and/or the robber.

The best thing to do during a robbery is cooperate. The sooner they flee with the money, the better... Only when the stakes have been raised to an clear threat to life should anyone consider intervening. Life is more valuable than material things.

Also you don't know how you will react until you find yourself in a situation like this.

this is guy is dumb and lucky
Customer deters robber beating suspect with his cane

What kind of a wimp would willingly let someone take their money? Or walk by while someone else is being robbed?
Must be a city thing.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What kind of a wimp would willingly let someone take their money? Or walk by while someone else is being robbed?
Must be a city thing.

Clerks are taught just to hand over the money when faced with an armed robber . It's cheaper than being shot and killed.

But hey, if you don't value your life, that's your choice.