Liberals walk out enmasse over new Tory appointment

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What a group of hypocrites - they have non-bilingual MPs in their own party. I am with Kevin O'Leary on this one - numbers are numbers whether in French or English.

"Members of the federal Liberal caucus, not all of whom speak French, marched out of the House of Commons Thursday in protest at the appointment of a senior civil servant, because he doesn’t speak adequate French."

Kelly McParland: Bilingualism walkout cements Liberals’ out-of-touch status | Full Comment | National Post

The NDP fair no better when they protest the appointment of a new Supreme Court judge.

"Which should Canadians rather have, an Auditor-General who can speak both official languages or one who can ferret through the minutia of federal departmental spending and waste? Ditto with Supreme Court judges: Do we want the best legal minds in the country, regardless of whether they speak only French or only English, or is it more important that nominees to our highest court be fluently bilingual?"

Lorne Gunter: NDP, Liberals put bilingualism before substance | Full Comment | National Post

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We need the best minds so I completely agree with you Mowich. What's wrong with an interpreter when necessary?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
We need the best minds so I completely agree with you Mowich. What's wrong with an interpreter when necessary?

What makes the walk-out even sillier is that Michael Ferguson - the new Auditor General - has promised to learn the language thus eliminating the need for an interpreter in the future.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What is funny is the title:
Liberals walk out enmasse over new Tory appointment

How many walked out? :)

Thanks for this, RCS..............I could have worded the title better. The story does not state exactly how many members walked out, so the use of enmasse could be misleading. Good catch............will be more careful in the future - hopefully. :smile:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Thanks for this, RCS..............I could have worded the title better. The story does not state exactly how many members walked out, so the use of enmasse could be misleading. Good catch............will be more careful in the future - hopefully. :smile:

Oh I'm sure the Libs thought they were enmasse. I bet a lot of them still think their running the country. :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm no expert on this but from what I've seen on the news it looks to me like Bob Rae is just doing a little muscle flexing, needs to make sure what muscle is left is still working! :lol:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It is a bit of an over-reaction. If they guy is going to be learning french anyway I see no big deal. Also, the Liberals aren't going to really accomplish anything by walking out.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I've served as an interpreter before, and have also listenedd to simultaneous interpretation. I'll tell you that the main difference between a professional interpretor and an amateur is that the professional skips over what he can't interpret and moves on to the rest whereas the amateur gets stuck on it and loses the rest.

Most unilingual MPs likely have no idea of just how much communication is lost when they rely on interpretors. Any bilingual knows just how unreliable interpretation is.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It is a bit of an over-reaction. If they guy is going to be learning french anyway I see no big deal. Also, the Liberals aren't going to really accomplish anything by walking out.

Of course they wouldn't really accomplish much by staying either.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Poor ol' liberals.