No Remembering! The Kids Might See A Firearm!!!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
1. The Board shall not tolerate the use, threat of use, or possession of weapons or replicas thereof by any unauthorized person on its property or in buildings or at Board-sponsored activities. The Board shall not tolerate the presence of weapons or replicas thereof in lockers, schoolbags, handbags, vehicles,or in any other place on its property. The Board adopts the following definitions of weapon:

Why the shock and surprise?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Our school administrators are scared of lawsuits.
So they follow the rules to the letter.

A shame really.

Like Gerryh was saying about posting. you can't get lazy

Maybe our lawmakers should take the time to
think this **** out before pumping out crap laws.

Laws that are supposed to protect us
from people that want to do us harm.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What exactly is the problem with the rules? They don't say you can't have remembrance day ceremonies. Just that you can't bring in weapons or "replicas". It is, after all, about remembering the sacrifices, right? Or is it all about glorifying war and the machinations that make war more "efficient"?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Why the shock and surprise?

1. The Board shall not tolerate the use, threat of use, or possession of weapons or replicas thereof by any unauthorized person on its property or in buildings or at Board-sponsored activities. The Board shall not tolerate the presence of weapons or replicas thereof in lockers, schoolbags, handbags, vehicles,or in any other place on its property. The Board adopts the following definitions of weapon:

So authorize them....that simple. They could say yes, or no.........the choice of authorization is up to them, and they choose NOT to authorize it.

They should all be fired.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is really dumb, it takes the whole concept of Remembrance Day and distorts history.
I am not ashamed to have historical weapons brought to show the students what they
were using back then. Good grief, the veterans fought their way across Europe, they
battled in the sands of North Africa, and died on the coast of China at Hong Kong.
Our fighting men died in the hills of Korea, and the Mountains of Afghanistan and we can't
show the children a gun. Are we completely crazy or what?
What the hell would we have the kids believe, that soldiers used hockey sticks or curling
rocks to fight with?
I am doing public relations for a Legion and we are not having school problems as of yet
but I can only imagine what might be coming. We have lost all perspective when it comes
to the veterans who fought so hard so we can be idiots. or at least it seems that way.
Here is some food for thought, for all those vets and families who supported them or went
through the sacrifices of history, should not support the activities of schools that do not
acknowledge the sacrifices made by generations of brave men and women who gave so
much that we might have something that resembles democracy.
I cannot believe those in charge of the education system have become so shallow.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I agree with gerry on this. I don't necessarily disagree with the replicas but, people celebrate Remembrance Day everywhere in Canada without replicas and we all do just fine. It is the remembering and the honouring of those who died for this country that matter most. The rest is secondary. People need to be more concerned with the remembering part of the day than with demonstrations of replicas. We must never forget.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I agree with gerry on this. I don't necessarily disagree with the replicas but, people celebrate Remembrance Day everywhere in Canada without replicas and we all do just fine. It is the remembering and the honouring of those who died for this country that matter most. The rest is secondary. People need to be more concerned with the remembering part of the day than with demonstrations of replicas. We must never forget.
You have to realize the OP comes from a self proclaimed gun buff and historian, so I can understand his interest in showing the history of war and its weapons. Just because it doesn't pick the interest of others, some consideration for the interests of others should be considered.

(Wow! I think I used consider and interest too much, eh?)

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
It's true,we have to do all we can to sanitize history,make it not so..messy.WW2 was a long game of go fish.Anyone with an interest in the artifacts of war should be checked out for latent violent tendancies.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It's true,we have to do all we can to sanitize history,make it not so..messy.WW2 was a long game of go fish.

Sanitize history? Are you being sarcastic. I don't feel it's necessary to bring weaponry out on a day that is about remembering our fallen.

Anyone with an interest in the artifacts of war should be checked out for latent violent tendancies.

-but the week leading up to that day should involve educating the kids about the weaponry, the circumstances and the places our servicemen had to go to secure the future we have today. I have always had a fascination with artifacts of of war, but I do not own a single weapon.

You have to realize the OP comes from a self proclaimed gun buff and historian, so I can understand his interest in showing the history of war and its weapons. Just because it doesn't pick the interest of others, some consideration for the interests of others should be considered.

Somewhere in there I think you paid Colpy a compliment.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's true,we have to do all we can to sanitize history,make it not so..messy.WW2 was a long game of go fish.Anyone with an interest in the artifacts of war should be checked out for latent violent tendancies.

I'm hoping that's sarcasm.

Otherwise, I guess only the truly psychotic ever visit the War Museum huh? I mean, it's not like they were fighting with marshmallows.

It's because the guns have been loaded with peanut butter.

But then the bullets will be all sticky!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
40 years ago we saw full on combat on the news. Today it is considered too emotinally disturbing but after the news you can watch TV people die in horrid gruesome ways or guys stuffing fireworks up their ass but you can't show what a coffin with a dead soldier in it coming home or a kid with it's leg blown off looks like?

Now no ceremonial or replica weapons. Do the cops still come in with a big box of dope so kids know what it looks like so they can make sure they buy the right stuff?

Who runs your mind? You or govt?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

The history of "war" is part of the history of our nations, whether you think of Canada, the British Empire, France or the First Nations: conflict is part of humanity, and to ignore it is to ignore part of ourselves... a large part. The World Wars of last century are the largest conflicts we, as a race, have ever been involved in, and Canada played a part and suffered significant losses in both of them.

This was also a scheduled event at a SCHOOL on Nov. 10, not a Remembrance ceremony on Nov. 11 at the local cenotaph. Where are kids to learn about history if not at schools? This is about educating our youth about what their forbears did and endured, and giving them a chance to learn from our mistakes. Its not about what "interests" John & Jane Q. Public, who can always choose not to attend any public function they desire.

“We’re not talking tanks — we’re talking a cargo truck, Jeep, things you or I could actually own,” he said.

“If I can drive this thing on a city street, what is the objection of the school board?”

Cullum said students will be “disappointed” because they love interacting with veterans.

The last quote, from a 16 yr old female student is one I think the most ardent anti-war people should be paying attention to: who knows best the horrors than those who have endured them? Having kids interact and learn from veterans, who don't want to see them have to go through what they did, is a powerful tool... but I guess everyone who has served or respects those who have is brainwashed by the pro-War propagandists... :roll:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The last quote, from a 16 yr old female student is one I think the most ardent anti-war people should be paying attention to: who knows best the horrors than those who have endured them? Having kids interact and learn from veterans, who don't want to see them have to go through what they did, is a powerful tool... but I guess everyone who has served or respects those who have is brainwashed by the pro-War propagandists... :roll:

I believe you have just explained the WHOLE POINT OF REMEMBRANCE DAY.

To remember, so that we may never have to go through it again (although we keep having to do so).

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Shiny happy liberals living in a shiny happy province with the McGuinty* brothers shining up the happy people nice and shiny like.

* Please see any and all internet references to car fires and bolt cutters.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

Sanitize history? Are you being sarcastic. I don't feel it's necessary to bring weaponry out on a day that is about remembering our fallen.

The history of "war" is part of the history of our nations, whether you think of Canada, the British Empire, France or the First Nations: conflict is part of humanity, and to ignore it is to ignore part of ourselves... a large part. The World Wars of last century are the largest conflicts we, as a race, have ever been involved in, and Canada played a part and suffered significant losses in both of them.

This was also a scheduled event at a SCHOOL on Nov. 10, not a Remembrance ceremony on Nov. 11 at the local cenotaph. Where are kids to learn about history if not at schools? This is about educating our youth about what their forbears did and endured, and giving them a chance to learn from our mistakes. Its not about what "interests" John & Jane Q. Public, who can always choose not to attend any public function they desire.

Yep.

I was once a high school History teacher, back in the Dark Ages before I realized I couldn't stand it.......and got a career where I could shoot back. :)

Mostly at the administration, in my fantasies.

But I digress.

If you are going to teach kids about anything important you need to get, and keep their attention. You need resources beyond a desk and a blackboard.........you need to grab their interest, and use whatever you can to open that portal into their minds.

Veterans talking is a wonderful idea, and one that should go on with or without props.

But someone standing in front of a class and talking simply doesn't cut it if you want to really get past that wall of apathy, reinforced by the "cool" of ignorance........

Dewatt weapons would do it. Guess what; humans may be they fascinated or repulsed by weapons, but they are usually VERY interested. Anything to get the little darlings attention.

Especially as it is the veterans who set up the display......who the hell are we to tell them what they should, or should not show (or tell) about war?????

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personally I think it is important for kids to learn about war. I think they should be taken on at least one, if not two, field trips to the war museums.

But, it sends the wrong message on a day that is about the fallen. Impressing them with cool guns does not bring to reality the horrors that veterans faced. The fact that they are unwilling to present without the guns shows that they lost their message along the way.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Yep.

I was once a high school History teacher, back in the Dark Ages before I realized I couldn't stand it.......and got a career where I could shoot back. :)

Mostly at the administration, in my fantasies.

But I digress.

If you are going to teach kids about anything important you need to get, and keep their attention. You need resources beyond a desk and a blackboard.........you need to grab their interest, and use whatever you can to open that portal into their minds.

Veterans talking is a wonderful idea, and one that should go on with or without props.

But someone standing in front of a class and talking simply doesn't cut it if you want to really get past that wall of apathy, reinforced by the "cool" of ignorance........

Dewatt weapons would do it. Guess what; humans may be they fascinated or repulsed by weapons, but they are usually VERY interested. Anything to get the little darlings attention.

Especially as it is the veterans who set up the display......who the hell are we to tell them what they should, or should not show (or tell) about war?????

You cherry picked half of what I said.