Mohawk council works to create tobacco regulations

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
APTN National News
The Mohawk Council of Kahnawake has been meeting with representatives from the local tobacco industry.
It is hoped that by creating regulations it will make the industry more legitimate.

Mohawk council works to create tobacco regulations | APTN National News

If they stopped making counterfeit GRE products, and stopped using sweep, they would gain a little more credibility in the First Nations community too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I guess they'll have to use the highways and pound the snot out of them all winter. You can complain to Volker about how ****ed your roads are and get more Stimulus from Ottawa.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah... It's a fact that no one would be on those roads other than the tobacco mfgrs.

Geez!
Geez? Apparently you want more trucks rolling down your highways and pounding the snot out of them and you getting stuck with the repair bills? Don't you think Volker is busy enough as it it?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Yeah... We ought to ban any form of highway travel so we can maintain the roads in pristine condition for ever.

Now that I think of it, my friend's grandma used to have her couch bound in plastic to preserve the show room quality for time immemorial... This we can do that with the highways?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah... We ought to ban any form of highway travel so we can maintain the roads in pristine condition for ever.

Now that I think of it, my friend's grandma used to have her couch bound in plastic to preserve the show room quality to time immemorial... This we can do that with the highways?
Apparently the nutbar aspect is genetic in your family?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
"Mohawk council works to create tobacco regulations"

There are perfectly good regulations already in place but somehow a few Mohawks want their illegal smuggling operations protected. We are talking about millions of dollars in lost tax revenues. The current regulations work for everyone else accross the country,

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There are perfectly good regulations already in place but somehow a few Mohawks want their illegal smuggling operations protected. We are talking about millions of dollars in lost tax revenues.
Do you even know how to read?

1, They are a registered tobacco product producer.
2, They are licensed by the Feds.
3, They pay excise tax.
It's the provinces that have their balls in a knot.
5, The regulations that are being spoken of here, are to stave off provincial interference.

The current regulations work for everyone else accross the country,
And are not applicable to treaty protected tobacco. Treaties work both ways pumpkin.

I agree...but I have to...she looks an awful lot like my wife.

I wondered how long it would take for the "I can't be a racist, I (Insert whatever BS claim here)" would take to raise it's head.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Do you even know how to read?

1, They are a registered tobacco product producer.
2, They are licensed by the Feds.
3, They pay excise tax.
It's the provinces that have their balls in a knot.
5, The regulations that are being spoken of here, are to stave off provincial interference.

And are not applicable to treaty protected tobacco. Treaties work both ways pumpkin.

I wondered how long it would take for the "I can't be a racist, I (Insert whatever BS claim here)" would take to raise it's head.

The tobacco industry described taxation on numerous occasions as the single most impor- tant threat to its market. "^^ ^ Smuggled Canadian cigarette brands appeared in 1990 and rose gradually to reach close to 30% of the domestic market in 1993.*^ Cigarettes were exported to U.S. duty-free warehouses and then diverted and reintroduced illegally into Canada, mainly through the Akwesasne/St. Regis aboriginal reserve, which straddles the Canada-U.S. border in eastern Ontario and western Quebec.^ Political pressure to resolve the crisis led to a drastic cut in tobacco taxes by the federal government and five provinces (Ontario, Ouebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island) in 1994. ''Although taxes remained high in the rest of the country, tobacco smuggling dropped sharply because the Canadian tobacco industry simply decided to stop shipping its cigarettes to U.S. duty-free warehouses.^ Unfortunately, the extent of the Canadian industry's involvement in the smuggling crisis only became clear a few years later through testimony of industry whistleblowers and the release of internal industry documents made public following litigation in the United States. The authorities have been conducting extensive investigations of the tobacco industry. ^°' ^^

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The tobacco industry described taxation on numerous occasions as the single most impor- tant threat to its market. "^^ ^ Smuggled Canadian cigarette brands appeared in 1990 and rose gradually to reach close to 30% of the domestic market in 1993.*^ Cigarettes were exported to U.S. duty-free warehouses and then diverted and reintroduced illegally into Canada, mainly through the Akwesasne/St. Regis aboriginal reserve, which straddles the Canada-U.S. border in eastern Ontario and western Quebec.^ Political pressure to resolve the crisis led to a drastic cut in tobacco taxes by the federal government and five provinces (Ontario, Ouebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island) in 1994. ''Although taxes remained high in the rest of the country, tobacco smuggling dropped sharply because the Canadian tobacco industry simply decided to stop shipping its cigarettes to U.S. duty-free warehouses.^ Unfortunately, the extent of the Canadian industry's involvement in the smuggling crisis only became clear a few years later through testimony of industry whistleblowers and the release of internal industry documents made public following litigation in the United States. The authorities have been conducting extensive investigations of the tobacco industry. ^°' ^^
So the answer is, you can't read.

You're talking about Non Native tobacco products, sold duty free to wholesalers, being redirected.

Not registered, licensed, Native tobacco producers selling legally made (For the most part) licensed products.

Do you understand the difference between smuggling and production?