Wheat board monopoly to end

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Good news.

The federal government has tabled a bill to end the Canadian Wheat Board's monopoly on wheat and barley sales in Western Canada.
Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz made the announcement in Stittsville, Ont., and has long said the move will give farmers the right to select to whom they sell their products, a privilege that belongs to farmers elsewhere.
Ritz said the bill would make the wheat board voluntary as of August 1, 2012.
Then, within five years, the board would either find a way to become privatized or simply stop operating.

more

Wheat board monopoly to end - The Daily Graphic/Central Plains Herald-Leader - Manitoba, CA

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Good news.

The federal government has tabled a bill to end the Canadian Wheat Board's monopoly on wheat and barley sales in Western Canada.
Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz made the announcement in Stittsville, Ont., and has long said the move will give farmers the right to select to whom they sell their products, a privilege that belongs to farmers elsewhere.
Ritz said the bill would make the wheat board voluntary as of August 1, 2012.
Then, within five years, the board would either find a way to become privatized or simply stop operating.

more

Wheat board monopoly to end - The Daily Graphic/Central Plains Herald-Leader - Manitoba, CA

That would be a good thing.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's only good news if you're ADM or Cargill.

The farmers are going to get hit bad, that's unfortunate.

Farmers can still sell to the Wheat Board, if they choose.

That's the important bit.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The most important bit is that the wheat board will no longer have the ability to set prices, so the price will go to whatever the lowest price that an individual farmer will sell at, and everyone else will have to meet it.

It will not be a good thing for the farmers, and most of them understand that.

It will, however, be a good thing for the buyers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The most important bit is that the wheat board will no longer have the ability to set prices, so the price will go to whatever the lowest price that an individual farmer will sell at, and everyone else will have to meet it.

This is a subject of which I'm am virtually completely ignorant, but wouldn't the Wheat Board be syphoning money off the farmers? In general terms I see the fewer middlemen (parasites) the better.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

The industry didn't go in the can in Ontario or Quebec where the farmer had a choice of who to sell to. My guess is that you'll see the development of a number of small marketing/distribution organizations that will sell to the US and/or large end users.

The prairie farmers will be the clear winner in this.

This is a subject of which I'm am virtually completely ignorant, but wouldn't the Wheat Board be syphoning money off the farmers? In general terms I see the fewer middlemen (parasites) the better.

The CWB had the ability to unilaterally set a price and the prairie farmers had to accept... They had no one else that they could legally sell their wheat to. If you grew wheat in Ontario or Quebec, you had the ability to sell to whomever you chose, including the CWB. That said, you're correct in that it was the prairie farmers that paid for the bloated admin of yet another gvt body.

The rules surrounding the CWB is another example of the rift between Eastern and Western Canada.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Who benefits? Whoever buys the Fed rail cars that Harper refused to sell to western producers so we could privatize on our own? Why did he refuse? We gave an above average offer.

Funny, they don't see it that way. Some do, more don't. Time will tell. Viterra will be very happy.
So much for democracy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
How? Tell me ALL about it.

Petros, you have the option to sell to the CWB, no one will arrest you (not like before). In fact, if you wanted to hold a portion of your wheat and apply some value-adds or process it yourself, you can get an even better price.

Funny, they don't see it that way. Some do, more don't. Time will tell. Viterra will be very happy.

Viterra will be no more happy than they are in Quebec or Ontario

Who benefits? Whoever buys the Fed rail cars that Harper refused to sell to western producers so we could privatize on our own? Why did he refuse? We gave an above average offer.

So much for democracy.

Railcar Leasing & Freight Car Sales - RailServe.com

Sterling Rail - For Sale Locomotives, Rail Cars, Railroad Equipment .

Better now?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I hear that.

I offered a guy an above average price for his four wheeler, but he refused.

Why did he refuse?

So much for democracy.
So being forced to sell to the CWB, or face charges and fines is democratic?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Petros, you have the option to sell to the CWB, no one will arrest you (not like before). In fact, if you wanted to hold a portion of your wheat and apply some value-adds or process it yourself, you can get an even better price.

Viterra will be no more happy than they are in Quebec or Ontario

Railcar Leasing & Freight Car Sales - RailServe.com

Sterling Rail - For Sale Locomotives, Rail Cars, Railroad Equipment .

Better now?
Who is buying? How do I get it to them? How long will it takle for me to get paid?

Why wouldn't Harper sell THESE to us? We made one **** of a goofd offer. Did Cargill or Loiuis Drefyus offer more? Less? Who gets the insider deal of a lifetime? The producers?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I hear that.

I offered a guy an above average price for his four wheeler, but he refused.

Why did he refuse?

So being forced to sell to the CWB, or face charges and fines is democratic?
Have you ever sold a kernel of grain in your life? Would you know where to start?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There was a discrepancy between your idea of "above average price" and his? :lol:
Nope. I offered him more than it was worth. Simply because I like the particular style, colour and displacement he had. Hard to find.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Who is buying? How do I get it to them? How long will it takle for me to get paid?

Speaking in general terms these kind of bastards usually have something they can hold over your head, it's generally the poorest of the poor who suffer, people with a little money in the bank can tell them to go f**k themselves! :smile: