Treaty Process Needs A New Look in BC/Caanda

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'll say. Duh.

For most people, if they think of Indians at all, believe Indians just need economic development. But Indians want more, like recognition to be a third level of govt, which the Nisga got. But the Nisga were considered an unusual case. Most won't get that because there isn't public support, or even knowledge about Indians or the treaty process. Any premier in BC is going to have to spend huge amounts of political capital to get even a few treaties done. So far $500 million has been spent with few results.

I would advise for Indians to wait for NDP to get elected in 2013. Carole James, former NDP leader, who is running again, she called BC "stolen land". She is also part Indian herself but she has many white fellow travelers. Management loves giving away the store because they like being Santa Claus too. When I was at BCIT in the mid 1980s, the instructor said in the first negotiations with the school, the union asked for the store and they got it. He was happy. The 1970s aren't likely coming back though.

Most Indians won't benefit from any process other than becoming Canadians, which is what most of us support for people living in Canada. Anything else is too complicated. Speaking of complicated, I read in the Sun this week in their series on immigrants in Metro Vancouver-there's too many, that Indians have their own category, they are considered neither a visible minority nor an ethnic group by StatsCan. That is three categories for non-white people in Canada. Wow. I didn't even know that. Good luck and thanks for all the fish, as smart dolphins might say. On the internet, no one knows if you're a dolphin you know.

Opinion: Treaty process needs a new look

Opinion: Treaty process needs a new look

Interim measures could ease problems while the negotiation process works its way to conclusion

By Gordon Gibson, Special to The Vancouver Sun October 19, 2011

Premier Christy Clark, shown receiving a ceremonial blanket before addressing a First Nations Summit in North Vancouver in June, needs to ‘seize the day’ by linking job creation with the treaty negotiation process.

Photograph by: Wayne Leidenfrost, PNG files

Chief commissioner Sophie Pierre is so right to castigate governments for a lack of progress in the B.C. treaty process. It is an absolute disgrace. After 20 years and negotiating expenditures of an incredible half a billion dollars of unaffordable borrowed money by the Indian side alone, almost nothing has been achieved.

For the past three-and-one-half years I have been involved in negotiations for the Gitxsan Treaty Society. One of my Gitxsan colleagues has been at that table for 20 years, during which time he has seen 30 government negotiators come and go. I marvel at the patience of my friends.

For the governments in this process, another year is another year, ho hum. For the Indian side of the table in B.C., while it varies by region, it is in general another year of poverty, unemployment, inadequate education, widespread substance abuse and even suicide. I have not the slightest doubt that the major blame for this lies with the mainstream society and you can get as many details as required in my book, A New Look at Canadian Indian Policy. And the guilt is not merely historic; it is current.

The Gitxsan are a nation 13,000 strong with 33,000 sq. km of traditional territory in northwestern B.C. We have watched helplessly as literally billions of dollars of timber and minerals have been trucked out of our territory in the past 50 years. This has not yielded a dime for us and we have been frozen out of our traditional ability to harvest our own timber.

We desperately want a reconciliation agreement and economic development. The leading legal victory in this field known as Delgamuukw was our case. We are highly motivated and have a great team, but with all of that, after 20 years we cannot make any progress at all. There is a total lack of urgency — total — on the government side.

As says commissioner Pierre, the treaty process must be dramatically improved. That will take time and a new dedication on all sides, and it should begin now.

In the meantime, there is something else that can be done, right now.

Treaties are very good, and required eventually for legal certainty. But in the meantime what is really needed in Indian country is jobs. Work brings dignity, fosters education and underpins the family. But work requires solid, sustainable economic development.
There is no lack of opportunity. Just in our own territory, we have two large projects (a resource toll road and a hydro facility) that are obvious profitable investments, no pie-in-the-sky. We have solid, smaller projects being considered by our just-created Gitxsan

Development Corporation. We also have no money. This also is the case across Indian country — opportunity rich, cash poor.
What to do? Consider first that a part of every treaty settlement is a federal payment known as a capital transfer. Governments think of it as for economic development, though it is also richly justified as compensation for the past. Based on precedent, these transfers will easily total many billions of dollars in B.C. But they aren’t available until a treaty is signed — and that moves at a glacial pace while first nation kids grow old in poverty. We need an interim solution, a jump start.

That solution could be the creation of an Interim Treaty Investment Authority (ITIA), initially funded by say $1 billion. The purpose of the authority would be to grant loans — not gifts — to first nations for approved projects. For approval, a project would have to be demonstrably feasible to a third-party, independent board of business people.

This rigorous vetting is essential. Across Canada and under the auspices of the Department of Indian Affairs, so-called “economic development” projects have a richly deserved reputation as local boondoggles, too often enriching only consultants and chiefs and councils.

ITIA will be investing serious money, the patrimony of the tribe concerned. That money must be prudently used and the management of any projects must be professional.

Note the money would be loaned by governments. What is the security for repayment? The gold-plated security of a first charge on the eventual capital transfer. Booked in this manner, the funding will properly be seen as the investment it will be, and not a component of the government deficit in any given year.

This fund should be set up by Ottawa, but we have to take account of the bloated, slow-moving bureaucracy back there. British Columbia should start the ball rolling. Set up ITIA, give it initial funding, and then start pressuring the feds to live up to their responsibilities accumulated by 100 years of the disgrace of the Indian Act.

This will lead not just to reconciliation but also to great provincial development.

In northwestern B.C., the Gitxsan alone will immediately be seeking over $25 million which we will then lever into hundreds of jobs and construct a crucial new link in the Northern Gateway. This is the kind of vision Premier Clark has been looking for. Premier, seize the day!

Gordon Gibson is public policy analyst and works for the Gitxsan Treaty Society.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
recognition to be a third level of govt,

And why should we "recognize a third level of govt"? Since childhood we've been told "everyone's equal" and "the color of a person's skin doesn't matter" and "treat everyone the same, the way you want to be treated".

We need to do away with treaties, reserves and anything else that supports the idea that one group of people are "different" than everyone else. Equal means just that. Equal.

Premier Christy Clark, shown receiving a ceremonial blanket before addressing a First Nations Summit in North Vancouver in June, needs to ‘seize the day’ by linking job creation with the treaty negotiation process.

Could you imagine what people would say if a premier took part in a Christian ceremony?

Or if a Christian pastor prayed over a public inquiry:

Native blessing at missing women inquiry

Political correctness run amok.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Since childhood we've been told "everyone's equal" and "the color of a person's skin doesn't matter" and "treat everyone the same, the way you want to be treated".

Some are just more equal than others.

I was wondering...if these groups are considered a "third level of government" have they stopped the nonsense of referring to themselves as "nations" or do they still feel they are nations despite accepting the subservient position?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'll say. Duh.
The most honest thing you've ever said.

Ummm...

I was wondering...if these groups are considered a "third level of government" have they stopped the nonsense of referring to themselves as "nations" or do they still feel they are nations despite accepting the subservient position?
You just can't make up that kind of logical inconsistency.

Damn you're funny!

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
You know, I think the process does need to change but I'm not sure what direction it can go. In a seminar in dealing with native cultures, put on by an oil company I worked for, for its operations personnel in areas where operations were close to or on native lands (reserves, metis settlements, etc), one of the guys talking to us talked about the backlog of landclaims in Ottawa and the increasing cost of those claims. Two things really jumped out at me from that session: the first is that the pace of settling these claims makes most of our stereotypes about the civil service seem swift, and the second is that the country as a whole is not going to be able to afford to honour the claims being made by the various aboriginal groups... but any changes we make to the process have to meet the approval of aboriginal groups or they are just another form of tyranny.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You know, I think the process does need to change but I'm not sure what direction it can go. In a seminar in dealing with native cultures, put on by an oil company I worked for, for its operations personnel in areas where operations were close to or on native lands (reserves, metis settlements, etc), one of the guys talking to us talked about the backlog of landclaims in Ottawa and the increasing cost of those claims. Two things really jumped out at me from that session: the first is that the pace of settling these claims makes most of our stereotypes about the civil service seem swift, and the second is that the country as a whole is not going to be able to afford to honour the claims being made by the various aboriginal groups...
What you say is true.

But what the article applies to, is the negotiation and settlement of new treaties. This seems to confuse the shyte out of the bigots and idiots. As is so easily seen when they group the entire First Nations, into one myopic visage of their tiny little corner of Canada.

What you are referring to, are treaties that were written 100's of years ago. Have been manipulated by the Crown for the benefit of the Crown. Which are now being used by First nations, to reap a just reward, for years of theft, abuse and neglect. As well as abused by some Bands, to gain what is not rightfully theirs.

The issue is extremely complicated, and lost on those that have little actual knowledge but what they glean from their local papers.

but any changes we make to the process have to meet the approval of aboriginal groups or they are just another form of tyranny.
Absolutely.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Indians want a third level of govt within the Canadian political space but want to be condsidered a separate nation from Canada. For many, that is trying to jam a circle into a sqare. Can't be done and shouldn't be done. Especially when Canadians taxpayers are paying for it. Equality and justice ends guilt and historical wrongs.

What was stated in original treaties gets changed and new enterpretations emerge, payments change-always an increase, and councils get larger to suit changing times. Treaties are no different from the rest of the world as we have seen. Tme to wind down treaties and make Indians Canadians so they live a better life and get for one thing, better water. Enough politics, more technology is needed and fewer reserves in the country.

Treaties just become bogus regional development schemes, extended EI programs. Rural-meaning Indians, and Atlantic Canadians-meaning white Canadians, have a great scam going and it's time to end it. Work is in the cities, why give it all to immigrants?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Indians want a third level of govt within the Canadian political space but want to be condsidered a separate nation from Canada.
Name the Nations that want that please.

For many, that is trying to jam a circle into a sqare.
I agree, for you it seems anything requiring thought, is like trying to jam an object into another object.
Can't be done and shouldn't be done.
Can and should.
Especially when Canadians taxpayers are paying for it.
Because they benefited from the contract. Geezus, why is that so hard to grasp?

Equality and justice ends guilt and historical wrongs.
And yet it hasn't, lol.

What was stated in original treaties gets changed and new enterpretations emerge, payments change-always an increase, and councils get larger to suit changing times.
Correct, thanks to the Crown, they are considered living documents.

Treaties are no different from the rest of the world as we have seen. Tme to wind down treaties and make Indians Canadians so they live a better life and get for one thing, better water. Enough politics, more technology is needed and fewer reserves in the country.
Feel free to start packing as you start winding them down.

As has been pointed out before, there are penalties/ramifications for breaking contracts.

Treaties just become bogus regional development schemes, extended EI programs. Rural-meaning Indians, and Atlantic Canadians-meaning white Canadians, have a great scam going and it's time to end it. Work is in the cities, why give it all to immigrants?
Wow.

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The treaty process has failed, even those with treaties the reserves often have dirty water. The money saved on inflated treaty payments could be far better spent on a space program. Ten billion bucks a year could get us our own Moon base!!! We could have Canadians in space in no time, Canadians of all backgrounds could be space trucking through the solar system, instead of water trucking to nowhere. Cities have jobs, clean water, and good tax base for all.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Indians want a third level of govt within the Canadian political space but want to be condsidered a separate nation from Canada. For many, that is trying to jam a circle into a sqare. Can't be done and shouldn't be done.

For which CB says....

Name the Nations that want that please.

Which is a piss poor attempt to imply that dumpthemonarchy's statement was not true. However, CB then says in regards to dumpthemonarchy's claim that it can't be done and shouldn't be done...

Can and should.

Clearly, CB wants he and his buddies to be a third level of government (something I have been supporting for years but have been called a racist for). Why is it that I am considered a racist for suggesting and supporting the same thing as CB? Just another example of CB's logical inconsistencies? Perhaps this is CB's way of subtly going public about his racist views? Maybe it's nothing more than CB finally extricating his head from his rectum and realizing that I was right all along and that this is the best approach (especially given that he and his buddies have no intention of giving up their Canadian citizenship to actually start up their own nation.

Interesting...very interesting indeed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The treaty process has failed, even those with treaties the reserves often have dirty water. The money saved on inflated treaty payments could be far better spent on a space program. Ten billion bucks a year could get us our own Moon base!!! We could have Canadians in space in no time, Canadians of all backgrounds could be space trucking through the solar system, instead of water trucking to nowhere. Cities have jobs, clean water, and good tax base for all.
You can be the first space cadet.

Which is a piss poor attempt to imply that dumpthemonarchy's statement was not true.
Because it isn't. Reread what he said Mr. illogically consistent.

Clearly, CB wants he and his buddies to be a third level of government (something I have been supporting for years but have been called a racist for).

1, That's clearly not what I said. But feel free to make it up as you go along.
2, You proved yourself to be racist. I had nothing to do with it.

Why is it that I am considered a racist for suggesting and supporting the same thing as CB? Just another example of CB's logical inconsistencies? Perhaps this is CB's way of subtly going public about his racist views?
Do you have any quotes to back up any of that? Or are the question marks your built in escape routes?

Maybe it's nothing more than CB finally extricating his head from his rectum and realizing that I was right all along and that this is the best approach (especially given that he and his buddies have no intention of giving up their Canadian citizenship to actually start up their own nation.
Me and my buddies?

Is that like the agenda you claim I have, but have yet to unveil?

So what is my agenda?

What is it me and my buddies(?) want?

Who are my buddies?

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Because it isn't. Reread what he said Mr. illogically consistent.

Oh believe me I have. Many times. I couldn't believe you made it so obvious. It is irrelevant, btw, if his statement is true or not because he followed it up with the statement it "can't and shouldn't be done" to which you replied that it "can and should". Clearly, you agreed with DTM's assessment. You can deny it all you like but it's right there for everybody to see.

Clearly I've been right all along and this racism nonsense you like to throw around is nothing more than a smokescreen you use to try and hide the fact that I'm exposing your agenda. Clearly you are nothing more than a mouthpiece for special interest and yet again you have been caught in your intellectual and logical inconsistency.

It is one of the reasons I wear your "Racist" moniker with pride. It's a clear sign I've struck a nerve.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So in other words, you reread it and couldn't figure out how it was incorrect eh. Funny, I noticed the contradiction right away. After the blanket generalization of course. Maybe you can identify the Nations for us.

If you don't understand, I can point out the glaring error, and of course the actual issue as it relates to a couple Nations, I'm very familiar with.

Funny how you have no problem with generalizing First Nations, but cry about the generalization of Muslims.

No surprise there.

So what is my agenda?

Where is my racism?

What is it me and my buddies want?

Who are my buddies?

These are your claims, you must have something to support them, non?

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You were the one that agreed with it.
I disagreed with his the whole of his post, but for one fact. And I haven't seen you address that, so what is it you think I agreed with?

So what is my agenda?

Where is my racism?

What is it me and my buddies want?

Who are my buddies?

These are your claims, you must have something to support them, non?
Were these questions to hard for you?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Someone must have reread the post, got it and figured he was backing the wrong team, and made a great big error. But to small minded to admit the error, in fear of agreeing with an Injin...lol...

Make it about me all you want.
Ummm... Ya...

For which CB says....

Which is a piss poor attempt to imply that dumpthemonarchy's statement was not true. However, CB then says in regards to dumpthemonarchy's claim that it can't be done and shouldn't be done...

Clearly, CB wants he and his buddies to be a third level of government (something I have been supporting for years but have been called a racist for). Why is it that I am considered a racist for suggesting and supporting the same thing as CB? Just another example of CB's logical inconsistencies? Perhaps this is CB's way of subtly going public about his racist views? Maybe it's nothing more than CB finally extricating his head from his rectum and realizing that I was right all along and that this is the best approach (especially given that he and his buddies have no intention of giving up their Canadian citizenship to actually start up their own nation.

Interesting...very interesting indeed.

Ya, I might chicken out like that too, if I was cornered and couldn't answer the questions.

Let me know when you come up with my...

Agenda.
Buddies.
Racism.

Or what it is we supposedly want.

I'd say I was looking forward to something of substance from you. But that would be wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why, all dem injuns is notin' but a bunch a no good, lazy free loadin' drunks, doncha no? They wants all the perks o' bein' Canadiun without them contributin' nothin' to the betterment of wiat societee. Only good injun's a ded injun.

Seems to me, the aboriginal peoples out west want something a little different from what they want back east. I think number one priority in BC is to be treated like human beings. And in the case of the Sinixt, they would like to be treated like they are still alive. The treaty process is going slow because the government is playing games, stalling and trying to play one band against another.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Seems to me, the aboriginal peoples out west want something a little different from what they want back east. I think number one priority in BC is to be treated like human beings. And in the case of the Sinixt, they would like to be treated like they are still alive. The treaty process is going slow because the government is playing games, stalling and trying to play one band against another.

I would tend to agree with most of what your saying here Cliffy. I have no doubt that the lawyers aren't helping either.